Running Fridge while Driving - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape
When is it ok to start the fridge on propane when heading south from the frozen north with a trailer that has been outside in subfreezing temps? As soon as the low temp is above freezing, or wait for a more thorough warm up? I want to take advantage of the cold start but I don't want to damage the equipment. Thanks for any advice.

Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Actually you can wait until the outside temperature gets above 40 degrees, the refer will not run much at a temperature below that. Your freezer should be full and ok until you get above freezing for several hours, so maybe when you see sunshine and bikini's on the beach, turn it on.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
I want to take advantage of the cold start but I don't want to damage the equipment.
Leaving it until you actually need cooling (taking advantage of the cold start) makes sense to me, but you won't hurt the refrigerator in cold weather - it just won't do much and might not even keep the freezer compartment freezing (because it monitors only the refrigerator compartment temperature).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually you can wait until the outside temperature gets above 40 degrees, the refer will not run much at a temperature below that. Your freezer should be full and ok until you get above freezing for several hours, so maybe when you see sunshine and bikini's on the beach, turn it on.
Stuff starts thawing pretty fast at refrigerator temperatures (such as 40 F) - indeed, that's how the food safety people say we should thaw all frozen meats. Proper freezer temperature isn't just freezing (32 F or 0 C), it's way below that (0 F or -18 C), and single-door RV refrigerators don't typically insulate the freezer conpartment from the much warmer refrigerator compartment. By the time you see bikinis, at the rate most people tow, your freezer contents are already ruined if they should not be refrozen. The ice cubes are safe to refreeze...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
When is it ok to start the fridge on propane when heading south from the frozen north with a trailer that has been outside in subfreezing temps? As soon as the low temp is above freezing, or wait for a more thorough warm up? I want to take advantage of the cold start but I don't want to damage the equipment. Thanks for any advice.
I started camping last year on Easter Sunday March 31 in Banff national park. My 2012 19 has the 5 cf fridge. Outside temps below freezing day and night. Running on 120v everything in the fridge froze in both sections even on the lowest setting. Switched over to propane and had no further problem. Freezing temps in the freezer, cold in the fridge, all good. Left it in that mode until I stored the trailer for this winter and defrosted & cleaned out the fridge Oct 4, 2013.