RV drinking water hose - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
You could solve the problem by extending the garden hose. Put the nice white RV fresh water hose onto the end of the garden hose. Then fill the tank from the white hose. Ta Da!

For extra extra add your filter onto the end of the white hose. This one might actually work.

We've found bad tasting water travelling around Arizona. We now taste the water before hooking up to the tree or filling the fresh tank. If it's objectionable we don't connect but use water from the fresh tank. When it gets low we use a 7 gal portable tank and transport water from these Glacier water vending machines, invariably available near bad water. Good tasting water for about a dollar. We use a small 12V pump to transfer water from this portable tank to our fresh tank. So, if the white RV hose is too short this option would work, even outside Arizona.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I can't help but wonder if the garden hoses of our collective youth had a higher rubber content, ergo less plastic taste than what I can/have tasted recently.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Garden hoses aren't all the same. I have 200 feet of Gilmour Flexogen 8-ply hoses, with a lifetime guarantee.
I actually had a hose replaced under warranty. Took a while, but they came through. I caused it to burst by connecting it prior to the pressure reduction valve at my home and leaving the water turned on, with a spray gun on the other end.
Had to cut off the ends and send them in order to get a new hose.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
200 feet? Good lord, that would be a work out moving that around the garden.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #25

It is excessive, and I only ever use a bit more than half of it to wash the trailer. It is all coiled up in a large galvanized wash tub. Pull out just what I need.
Attached Thumbnails
hose.jpg  
Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
We've found bad tasting water travelling around Arizona. We now taste the water before hooking up to the tree or filling the fresh tank. If it's objectionable we don't connect but use water from the fresh tank. When it gets low we use a 7 gal portable tank and transport water from these Glacier water vending machines, invariably available near bad water. Good tasting water for about a dollar. We use a small 12V pump to transfer water from this portable tank to our fresh tank. So, if the white RV hose is too short this option would work, even outside Arizona.

Thanks.
This is a good idea, as long as there is a supply of good drinking water somewhere. It usually is not contaminated, where it will harm you, but I just can't handle the taste, or the smell very well though.

We almost always carry at least a couple gallon jugs of filtered water for coffee and drinking, especially if going to a campground.

I most times bring a 5 gallon jug to, to set up outside for water use there too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
For what it's worth... Takes about 80 lbs off the pin weight...

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
No Carrier.jpg   Carrier.jpg   Bagged Bottles.jpg   Bagged Bottles Wide.jpg  
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:09 AM   #28

And a couple more...
Attached Thumbnails
Bottles No Cover.jpg   Bottles No Cover Close.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice work, Larry, where did you find the brackets?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #30

Hi Jim,

Custom... Had them made at a local trailer shop...

Larry
Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #31

Back to hoses for a second, I sent email to Gilmour, company that make the Flexogen hose and got this reply:

"Mr. Baglo,

It is not recommended that you use a non-drinking water hose to transport drinking water. These hoses were designed with materials that could cause health problems if consumed in great quantities, and for that reason I would not recommend it."

I'm not planning on consuming the hose, but I think I'll drag out my RV drinking water hoses.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
And a couple more...
Very nifty. You have three bolts through the bracket that go through holes in the bumper?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Back to hoses for a second, I sent email to Gilmour, company that make the Flexogen hose and got this reply:

"Mr. Baglo,

It is not recommended that you use a non-drinking water hose to transport drinking water. These hoses were designed with materials that could cause health problems if consumed in great quantities, and for that reason I would not recommend it."

I'm not planning on consuming the hose, but I think I'll drag out my RV drinking water hoses.
I tend to agree with Glenn. The manufacturers of RV drinking water hoses (Camco, Valterra, etc.) manufacture hoses with materials safe for drinking. However, if water does not sit inside a hose where these materials can go into solution its not likely that drinking from a garden hose as many did when we were children is not likely to be all that harmful to one's health. In high school chemistry class back in the day we made "shiny" dimes with mercury. Now, if the smallest amount of mercury is spilled they bring in a suited hazmat team to clean it up. And back then anglers often used their teeth to compress those tiny lead clam-shaped weights onto fishing lines. Older water systems still have leaded joints which are typically replaced by utility crews when discovered during routine maintenance (usually, when the pipes are excavated to repair a leak). And many older homes have copper pipes with lead sweated joints. It's wise to use the appropriate materials when making purchases of items intended to come into contact with consumable products. I personally avoid using glazed pottery made in certain countries sold in chains like Walmart. But a lot of the warnings on products are pure legalese. I'm more concerned with Alzheimer's being a problem than lead poisoning. And there are documented cases of people dying from consuming too much alcoholic beverage and even too much pure water. I would also note that the U.S. EPA (which does have an influence on similar agencies in Canada and elsewhere) is constantly adding to its list of "contaminants of emerging concern." Among these are hormones commonly found in birth control pills and other drugs, notably antibiotics, which are fed to livestock. All these products are excreted and since ALL water is recycled, end up in the water supply. There is virtually no place in the populated parts of Canada or the US where these chemicals cannot be found in the drinking water supply.