Safety of Propane on while traveling? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No, and I assume that neither would anyone else. That's why modern (as in made in this century) high pressure propane hoses (or "pigtails") use a connector on the tank end which incorporates an excess flow valve: if the hose is ripped apart, the momentary high flow rate of propane trips this valve nearly closed, so only a very small rate of flow continues.

This is the valve which Jim mentioned in post #2. It is also the source of annoyance when the tank valve is suddenly opened into an RV plumbing system which is not already up to operating pressure, because the momentary flow surge trips the excess flow valve.
Interesting. That's a nice feature that I didn't know existed. Sorry Jim, I didn't pick that up the first time I read your post, although now when I re-read it, I see it clearly.

Ok, so that mostly rules out the big impressive fire in the video. I'm guessing low pressure propane fires would still be possible if any of the low pressure lines were severed, which is a lesser threat, but has a higher likelihood given that there's more low pressure lines in the trailer. The pressure change there wouldn't be sufficient to stop the propane in that situation, right?

Just so everyone understands, as I alluded to in my first post, I'm mostly in agreement that this is an acceptably low risk thing to do. I feel though, for myself, there is enough risk to avoid it when it is not needed.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Is it safe to have the propane running the fridge while traveling? What if the flame goes out?
What if you're in an accident?
We follow the Escape manual rule and turn off the propane while traveling. The batteries handle cooling the fridge just fine. Make sure your fridge is cold before you start though.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Of course, if you follow the news then you already know the answer, and it has something to do with what a certain profession does best, and that is inventing a problem which in reality is not a problem.
Did you know there is a bar in Idaho called "No Lawyers Bar & Grill"? Interesting story but no longer on their website. Something about having to spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees because of some ridiculous dispute over their swimming pool with a neighbor who was a lawyer. They won and then they banned him and all his friends from the restaurant....at least in theory! Cracks me up.

Home - crescentno9856942-233991-sml-1
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 19'
Quote:
And when you buy coffee at McDonalds, the cup has a waning on the side which states that coffee, which is best brewed at temperatures slightly below boiling, is extremely hot. Millions of people consume hot coffee daily with no problem so you have to ask yourself, why does McDonalds include this warning. Of course, if you follow the news then you already know the answer, and it has something to do with what a certain profession does best, and that is inventing a problem which in reality is not a problem. So you have to ask yourself another question and that is why would ETI include a statement in the manual telling you to turn of the propane tank(s) when in motion. I wouldn't be surprised if Reace himself runs the refrigerator on propane when traveling. But let's get to a more important issue. How many here have been brazen enough to cut the little tag off your mattress or pillow that States "do not remove under penalty of law?
The Escape manual tells us a lot of things that make sense. How would I know what to pick and choose? I sip my coffee, cut off pillow tags, and stop at the crosswalk. As far as my trailer goes, I choose to drive without a flame. I don't understand the controversy about my decision for me.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Interesting. That's a nice feature that I didn't know existed. Sorry Jim, I didn't pick that up the first time I read your post, although now when I re-read it, I see it clearly.
I am a lousy wordsmith, and likely did not type it very clearly. Brian is better at that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
My 2 cents. We full time and when we have full hookups, we run fridge on AC. When on the road...propane.

Regards,

Red Dog

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Did you know there is a bar in Idaho called "No Lawyers Bar & Grill"? Interesting story but no longer on their website. Something about having to spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees because of some ridiculous dispute over their swimming pool with a neighbor who was a lawyer. They won and then they banned him and all his friends from the restaurant....at least in theory! Cracks me up.

Home - crescentno9856942-233991-sml-1
If you research the history of Georgia, the original founder (James Oglethorpe, who had the land grant from the king of England) had two main rules. 1. Wine and beer OK, but no hard spirits, and; 2. No lawyers allowed. Neither rule remains in effect today, however!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornanaugle View Post
The Escape manual tells us a lot of things that make sense. How would I know what to pick and choose? I sip my coffee, cut off pillow tags, and stop at the crosswalk. As far as my trailer goes, I choose to drive without a flame. I don't understand the controversy about my decision for me.
I don't believe there is any controversy. It is your choice. I use propane when traveling, and I don't feel as if I am under attack by those who have posted that they feel it is unsafe. If you go back and read post 10, I clearly stated that whatever side of this issue one takes, it is a personal choice. If I only drove for 3 hours a day like some forum members do, I would probably run on 12v too. But 12v isn't going to hack it if you put in a 10 or 12 hour day to get to a distant destination unless you have a very large wire and alternator to supply it. Otherwise, you are going to have a very depleted battery. Solar helps, but not if it is rainy or overcast. It is whatever you are comfortable with. I live in Florida. Many people who come here might see an alligator and panic. I wouldn't because I know if I approached it it likely would try to avoid me. On the other hand, I might get nervous if I spotted a grizzly in Montana, whereas a local probably sees them all the time and might consider my reaction somewhat silly.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
......... But let's get to a more important issue. How many here have been brazen enough to cut the little tag off your mattress or pillow that States "do not remove under penalty of law?
I cut 'em off all the time as the consumer who bought the product. Hate them almost as much as the tags on a t-shirt. Don't know who invented the tagless t-shirt but I am sure glad they did.

Attached Thumbnails
tag.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
I cut 'em off all the time as the consumer who bought the product. Hate them almost as much as the tags on a t-shirt. Don't know who invented the tagless t-shirt but I am sure glad they did.

I'm sure you realized from the first part of my post that my tongue was in my cheek when I followed up with that question. Use of the word "brazen" gave it away! Many years ago, some of those tags did not include the words "except by the consumer."
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
yep, they sure did. It is confusing either way though. Time to get back on topic, I guess.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I'm guessing low pressure propane fires would still be possible if any of the low pressure lines were severed, which is a lesser threat, but has a higher likelihood given that there's more low pressure lines in the trailer. The pressure change there wouldn't be sufficient to stop the propane in that situation, right?
Perhaps insufficient flow rate (rather than pressure change), but you've got the idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I'll keep this short and simple. The gasoline in your tow vehicle is more explosive and more dangerous than the propane in your RV. Do the research.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
Time to get back on topic, I guess.
Yes, I'm guilty, having responded to someone who responded to a rhetorical question I posed. I am deeply penitent for going astray because I have noted that very few threads go off topic. I will make a sincere effort not to do it again.

But I would add that this topic has been discussed at length here in many threads and on the other, not so congenial forum. There are two schools when it comes to traveling with propane on and most people ascribe to one or the other. What is said here isn't going to change anyone's mind. It really only helps the OP to make up his/her mind after seeing differing points of view. So, IMHO, getting back on topic will only result in addition posts that in one way or another have already been stated, now or in the past.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornanaugle View Post
The Escape manual states to turn off the propane tank when in motion. I am a scaredy cat when it comes to things like flames and propane so for me, it is an easy solution: Let the battery do the work. If we stop for long periods of time, then the propane goes on for that duration.
It is great to have that flexibility if it works for you without draining the batteries. Some of us with the older 2-way Dometic RM2510 don't have 12V as an option. Pretty easy choice...propane.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would bet the likelihood of some of us who have had an RV for many years, back when there was no solar used, and 12V while towing was out of the question even if you had it, you either had to use propane, or nothing. Any worry of a potential problem of towing with propane on was not even considered, and carries forward today.

For those newer to towing, seeing all the cautions manufacturers need to put out their these days, you may be inclined to follow "recommended" practices which often create too much worry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Maybe all the previous threads of this exact discussion can all get merged into....One Thread to Rule Them All.......

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #38

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
On our recent first trip, we soon discovered that towing with the fridge in DC mode did not charge the battery well. We were a bit unsure about the battery levels as we had planned some extensive days of dry camping and we had chosen to save the $ and not get the solar option. We met up with some friends in California who had been RVing for years and told us they towed with the fridge in propane mode without any issues or concerns and we decided to go that route. We soon discovered that out battery levels were much better after that and several times went five days without a plug in and have decided that for us, this is the route we will go in future.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Maybe all the previous threads of this exact discussion can all get merged into....One Thread to Rule Them All.......
At the risk of going off topic, might I suggest we title such a combined thread "Lord of the Threads."
Old 04-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Hmmm; That has a nice ring to it!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote