Samlex Portable Solar Charging Kit - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
Dave we've lot very similar setups, except I use the same connector between then controller and battery that my BatteryMinder charger uses. It has a dust cover too and I just leave it hooked up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31+IVxgoYrL.jpg (11.7 KB, 8 views)

Old 03-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #12
CRJ

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Added extension panel to existing Samlex solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would imagine once I get my 5.0, which I will put mounted solar on, that when supplementing with the portable, that I would want to bypass the portable's controller, and tie directly into the one the mounted system uses, correct?
I've got this same question on my 2015 21 which has a 150 Samlex solar panel and controller. I've got the trailer parked under a carport where it receives no sun. Pondering the addition of an extension panel that I could use at home connected in parallel with the existing panel to maintain the batteries and also use on the road when not parked in the sun for additional power. From what I'm reading the controller can handle up to 500 watts.
It seems fairly easy to hook them up in parallel with splicing connectors but the existing connectors are up on the roof next to the mounted panel.
Is there better options? I don't see the benefit of purchasing a panel with a separate controller and not have the system integrated.
CJ

CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ View Post
I've got this same question on my 2015 21 which has a 150 Samlex solar panel and controller. I've got the trailer parked under a carport where it receives no sun. Pondering the addition of an extension panel that I could use at home connected in parallel with the existing panel to maintain the batteries and also use on the road when not parked in the sun for additional power. From what I'm reading the controller can handle up to 500 watts.
It seems fairly easy to hook them up in parallel with splicing connectors but the existing connectors are up on the roof next to the mounted panel.
Is there better options? I don't see the benefit of purchasing a panel with a separate controller and not have the system integrated.
CJ
Where is your charge controller located, CJ? I will be placing mine right by the batteries, and will attach the leads from my portable in parallel directly to it via a port on the shell nearby. i will not tie in on the roof where my mounted solar enters.

I had to check the date on that post you quoted, almost 6 months ago. I have definitely learned a lot since then. mostly thanks to others here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #14
CRJ

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
thanks Jim,
I found a more recent forum string on solar and made some further headway on knowledge in this topic. My system is the standard circa 2015 Samlex equipment installed by Escape with the charge controller located in an upper cabinet on the street side and the rest of the electrical ie automatic transfer switch and inverter located with the batteries in the dinette bench on the passenger side.
I can see the advantage of the controller next to the batteries but at this point I'll live with the current locations. I'd like to add a portable panel and use the existing controller. Main issue is finding a sanitary way to connect and disconnect the portable using the MC 4 wye branch connectors without making more penetrations than necessary in the hull.
I've subscribed to the thread and repeat this so we can keep this together.

CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote