Sanitizing The Fresh Water Tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Sanitizing The Fresh Water Tank

In the Escape manual under the Annual Maintenance section it says to "sanitize the fresh water tank" but gives no suggestions as to how to do it. Most of the stuff I've read says to use s small amount of bleach mixed with a large quantity of water then flush to remove any taste. I'm a bit skittish about using bleach. Recently I saw a post on another forum where the poster uses a teaspoon of concentrated chlorine purchased from a pool supply shop put directly into the tank. He says using this method there is no need to flush the tank following the treatment. Just wondering what others use to get this done.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Sanitizing The Fresh Water Tank

Where I live in North Vancouver, you can smell the chlorine that is added to the water before it gets to your home. I don't know about your water system, but it likely has chlorine ( bleach ) added at source, so your tank is sanitized every time you fill up. Also, just for laughs, look up the definition of "sanitize".

baglo
Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

I think that's why the guy who used the pool chlorine said it didn't require any after washing. It tastes just like tap water <g>. However, we are on the best well water I've ever tasted so anything added is quite easily identified. Possibly adding just a small amount of bleach, like a teaspoon, to a couple of gallons of water might do the trick and then wash it out thoroughly to remove any taste.

Doug
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

RV dealers have a fresh tank product that comes in gallon containers. It's said to freshen the fresh tank!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I have used a cup of bleach with a full tank of water, run it until it comes out of the taps, then let it sit overnight. Then drain the entire system (including water heater), rinse completely once, and Bob's your uncle. Easy peasy, and cleans up the taste great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

We live in the country with our own well - so no chlorine in it, plus most of the places we camp are water from wells. I use the same method as Jim essentially. I try to always do that method before storing for any length of time as I figure it is easier to prevent problems than cure them later.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

I think Jim's method is the best. Simple and effective. We, too, are on our own well so anything in the tank will taste funky. In reading what some do with their fresh water tanks I think they are confusing "sanitize" with "sterilize" <g>.

Doug
Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho

I repeat the bleach fill and flush with a baking soda fill and flush to remove any bleach smell. Mix the bleach or soda into a gallon of water, don't add it straight to the tank.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote