Self inflicted wound? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those dang exterior lights are about the cheapest/crappiest thing made. That's why you can buy them for less than $10... usually S&H included! Look around, even the gazillion dollar trailers use them somewhere on the exterior.
Your right about that Donna . When I went to purchase new light fixture , they also sells all kinds of RV's and guess what all the same crappy lights . There were some very high end Class A's and they had those 40. Lights on them and you can get them in black . Fellow in store said when he started working there he was thinking of getting a RV but now he is going to just put his money away and not purchase from what he sees everyday from work . Seems everyone is just cranking out to make a buck . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think its safe to say there was a defect in that light and you were safe buying a new one. When I did my 4 sides of the trailer lighting I removed the built-in switch. No chance that it'll get turned on accidentally or by someone else. With the interior switch just inside the door it really doesn't seem necessary to have the exterior switch.

I think RV equipment is what it is. I'm not sure if there's any manufacturer that uses marine quality equipment. But really, when you have to drill drain holes to let the water out

Ron
I think Oliver does Ron . Pat
Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I was a bit upset with the install of the fixture just a quick glue on .
I am a bit surprised with that too. Actually, more than surprised, just curious as to the reason why, as I am sure there is a good one. Was it something that bonded strongly, or just something like hot glue meant as a temporary hold. The latter would make sense just to hold it in place while it was fastened. I do that often with woodworking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I think Oliver does Ron . Pat
Yes, they too do use upgraded components, but boy do you pay for them. I really like what they use, though not keen on the look of the trailer, and really don't care for white fiberglass interiors, myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am a bit surprised with that too. Actually, more than surprised, just curious as to the reason why, as I am sure there is a good one. Was it something that bonded strongly, or just something like hot glue meant as a temporary hold. The latter would make sense just to hold it in place while it was fastened. I do that often with woodworking.

Yes, they too do use upgraded components, but boy do you pay for them. I really like what they use, though not keen on the look of the trailer, and really don't care for white fiberglass interiors, myself.
Jim it was a sealant for sure like proflex etc. . It was even in the hole where the wiring came out . So I could push my connections back inside had to clean that up a bit . Used a pencil to push through , eraser end . I only used RTV silicone around grove of fixture and it held nicely till I could get my screws in . Pat
Old 09-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Getting all lathered up over the perceived poor quality of the exterior light fixtures is in my opinion, not worth the lather. Even though we only use them on rare occasions, my three exterior lights all work and have caused me no grief. Maybe at some point in the very distant future if the lights fail to function as designed, I may consider a higher quality replacement.
Ah, but there are those little bumps of rock called the Rocky Mountains that cause the clouds to dump rain on us out here on the wet coast and you, on the other side, get a much drier climate as a result. Probably safe to say those in dry climates have fewer problems with corrosion related items.

For my add-on rear and front facing lights I went with lights that have the lenses held on with bolts against a rubber gasket. I'm expecting that they'll be trouble free longer than the standard ETI ones.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
15-09-2015 10-45-06 AM_0001_resize.JPG   15-09-2015 10-45-59 AM_0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Ah, but there are those little bumps of rock called the Rocky Mountains that cause the clouds to dump rain on us out here on the wet coast and you, on the other side, get a much drier climate as a result. Probably safe to say those in dry climates have fewer problems with corrosion related items.

For my add-on rear and front facing lights I went with lights that have the lenses held on with bolts against a rubber gasket. I'm expecting that they'll be trouble free longer than the standard ETI ones.

Ron
I have no doubt that living in a dryer climate will help to avoid water leakage issues that seem to plague those living in very high rainfall areas. Maybe the solution is for everyone to spend more time in the deserts of the southwest USA during their own home province's/state's wet season.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My trailer is 2008. The porch light is black plastic. It has no holes to drain water ( and let dust etc. in ). And, it works.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #68

One dark and stormy night Glenn, just when you need it most.....

Ron
Old 09-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #69

We leave a light on inside the trailer. Shows where the trailer is ( which is about all the porch light does ), makes it look like somebody is home and it stays dry.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
We leave a light on inside the trailer. Shows where the trailer is ( which is about all the porch light does ), makes it look like somebody is home and it stays dry.
The porch light is Led . Pretty bright from the old lights That being said they are very touchy . Have problems with 2 inside ones also . They work because they aren't corroded like the outside ones are . Meaning water doesn't get in there .I have to take apart the 2 inside and mess with them constantly. Why I don't know maybe from going down the road . Saves energy except for me . New technology. Pat
Old 09-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #71

I put an LED bulb in my porch light, tried it and blinded everyone, and put the incandescent back in. Like baglo, we rarely use ours, and when we do, don't really want it blinding. Maybe to grab a beer out of the cooler when I didn't have my headlamp on me. It would be nice if there was one with a dim night light feature as well as full strength, like some interior ones have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Maybe the solution is for everyone to spend more time in the deserts of the southwest USA during their own home province's/state's wet season.
Oh, believe me, I really want to , hopefully this winter.

Ron
Old 09-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #73

Quote:
I put an LED bulb in my porch light, tried it and blinded everyone, and put the incandescent back in. Like baglo, we rarely use ours, and when we do, don't really want it blinding. Maybe to grab a beer out of the cooler when I didn't have my headlamp on me. It would be nice if there was one with a dim night light feature as well as full strength, like some interior ones have.
Jim it is really needed if in dark getting back to trailer then we turn it off . Don't want to bug others and it is before 10 pm . We try to be respectful. Pat
Old 09-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #74

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
We have an amber cover we put on the porch light, bought from Little House Customs, that works well. The 21' standard porch light is LED. Maybe on the 5er also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We have an amber cover we put on the porch light, bought from Little House Customs, that works well. The 21' standard porch light is LED. Maybe on the 5er also.
I have seen those amber covers from a distance before. Definitely way less glaring. I think that the bulb I got from superbrightled.com was just too bright for there, maybe the Escape one is not so bright. We rarely use our porch light though, even when real dark, as we can usually see enough to make out the white trailer, and if not usually carry headlamps/pen lights.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #76

I got an amber bulb, but only the bugs could see it.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #77

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
mine is very soft i think it has an amber cover thought they were all like that.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We let our amber lense go with the Casita. Will definitely be looking for one for the Escape. We weren't sure it was the same lense, anyway... although from this discussion it sounds like it may well be.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #79

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I emailed Escape today, and Crystal showed Reace the link to the light I posted above, and Reace said they could install that. Expensive, but just might be worth the weatherproofness and simplicity. Course, I never have seen one, so I might ought to see what they are like before I have them install it and then find out I hate them...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #80
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Donna,
Is that a standard install or do you have to request black?
Black frame lights are standard.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote