Self inflicted wound? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Self inflicted wound?

I'm not sure if I have a “self inflicted wound”. On my 17B there is a 12V outlet on the upper cabinet in the rear passenger side that worked until recently. Now there is no power to the outlet and I'm not sure if it because of something I did. I did check it with a volt meter and made sure the wires at the rear were connected.

Wanting to use the rear RCA outlet of Jensen stereo I had to remove the unit from its mounting case. There seemed to be a slight bind on the right side and after much wiggling the unit finally came loose. As it turned out the “binding” was one speaker wire being too short and pulled out of its connector. I had to pull more of the radio antenna wire so the stereo unit was in a position for me to see where the speaker wire went.

Okay, I've got the RCA connetors out the back, both speakers working, the radio works, properly, actually everything is working as it should, (I think). Now the questions, not knowing the routing of the wire for that one outlet did I somehow dislodge a connection for the 12V outlet? Is there a quick and easy fix a klutz like me could handle?

The second photo is the cable & RCA plugs. It's included because I'm not sure about the RCA portion. I've tried using it but, not knowing much about it, couldn't get it to work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.JPG   IMG_0003.JPG  
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'd check the fuse panel as the first step.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
I thought I had but will check it again.
2012 4Runner
Old 03-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
I just checked the panel again and the 12V fuse is good.

I think I'll send this same message to ETI and get their input about how I may have shot myself in th' foot.
2012 4Runner
Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #5

Something told me to check the passenger porch light, turns out it's not working either so tomorrow, in the daylight and with a clear mind, I'll check all the fuses.
2012 4Runner
Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have an exterior reset button on ours. Don't know if that would help but we once could find no fuse problem and the reset button fixed things after a few tries.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
We have an exterior reset button on ours. Don't know if that would help but we once could find no fuse problem and the reset button fixed things after a few tries.
Thanks, Cathy, where did you find the reset button?
2012 4Runner
Old 03-19-2015, 05:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Reset is on the GFI of the 120 volt outlet.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
Reset is on the GFI of the 120 volt outlet.
It does not make any sense to me that the reset on a 120v GFI outlet would correct a 12v outlet and a 12v porch light that is not working. 12v items are powered by the battery/converter and 120v outlets are powered from the distribution panel, unless ETI is doing some very strange wiring, which I highly doubt. The only way the GFI reset could correct this problem is if the 120v power from the 30 amp cord is being routed through the GFI outlet before going to the converter. And that would not pass code because the GFI outlet is only rated for 20 amps. I think the problem is elsewhere. I suggest you call Reace or hook up and take the trailer to Chilliwack. I think you are in Seattle; Chilliwack is relatively close.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you have an on board surge protector, there's a breaker box as the power comes into the trailer. On Ten Forward, there are two breakers in a gray box under the dinette (drivers side). In January, I had a self-inflicted wound, and lost all outlet power to the trailer. Flipping all the breakers and reset on the GFI did no good. Turned out the breaker itself was bad (it never flipped off). Replaced that breaker (<$10 at Lowes) and I have power everywhere.

I hope you find as easy of a solution as I had.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you have an on board surge protector, there's a breaker box as the power comes into the trailer. On Ten Forward, there are two breakers in a gray box under the dinette (drivers side). In January, I had a self-inflicted wound, and lost all outlet power to the trailer. Flipping all the breakers and reset on the GFI did no good. Turned out the breaker itself was bad (it never flipped off). Replaced that breaker (<$10 at Lowes) and I have power everywhere.

I hope you find as easy of a solution as I had.
Not all brands of circuit breakers trip to the off position, the handle only moves to the trip or midpoint position. You need to push the breaker handle down to the full off position and then back to the on position to reset the breaker.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Donna,
Are you saying you have multiple breaker boxes, one in the converter and another one before the EMS connection? Do you have the removable power cord also?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #13

Okay, this morning I saw kstock11's reply so before my first cup of coffee and with a semi clear head went out and found 2 GFI outlets, 1 outside passenger side and 1 hidden next to the sink and they aren't the problem. Also tried the light under the overhead storage on the passenger side and the rear ceiling light, they're not working either. So I have 3 lights, 2 inside plus the porch light and 1 12V outlet not working. All lights on the drivers side and forward of the rear ceiling light do work.

Donna, I do have a surge protector so after I have my second cup of coffee, and convince Gonzo th' Dawg he doesn't need to help, I'll head out again and check it. I did check the breakers in the main fuse panel under the dinette, none were tripped.

Though I'm a complete klutz I find it hard to believe wiring to the stereo would have anything to do with this particular problem and it's simply coincidental.
2012 4Runner
Old 03-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Donna,
Are you saying you have multiple breaker boxes, one in the converter and another one before the EMS connection? Do you have the removable power cord also?
Yes there are two breaker boxes and no I don't have a removable power cord.

The breaker was bad. It happens.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Also tried the light under the overhead storage on the passenger side and the rear ceiling light, they're not working either. So I have 3 lights, 2 inside plus the porch light and 1 12V outlet not working. All lights on the drivers side and forward of the rear ceiling light do work.
This has to be a 12 volt fuse. The 110 side has nothing to do with it. You might have shorted a wire when you were moving the other wires. I'll look in my fuse panel and see which fuse you should be re-checking.

Ron
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #16

OK, that opened up a can of worms On my 19 the 4th fuse down is for the 12 volt outlet. Yours may be different but whoever wires the panel probably follows the same pattern. But this is why it would be nice to have a wiring diagram.

Didn't get the result I expected when I pulled fuse #4 to check that it was the one powering the outlet. The led next to it only glowed very dimly instead of brightly. Voltage at the outlet dropped from 13.2 to 12.0 So somehow it's getting power from another circuit. Oh well, I'm right in the middle of running a ton of new wires for exterior lights etc. so I'll track that issue down.

There is one other probable cause to your situation. ETI runs wires and taps into them to power other devices. The connectors are the insulation piercing type. I'm not really crazy about that type because I don't think the connection is as strong or resistant to "wiggle and jiggling" as other types. So it you can see any connections anywhere near your problem I'd manipulate them and see if lights etc. flicker.

Good luck,

Ron
Old 03-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I guess I didn't read into the question enough. The only reset that I'm aware of outside the trailer is the gfi.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #18

Self inflicted wound now healed :-)

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions. As a last resort I spoke with Reace who told me if a red light was glowing in the converter box there was a blown fuse. I told him I had seen the red light and at that point we got disconnected so I went and this time to check each fuse with an ohm meter. Low and behold first fuse I pulled was bad but I wasn't able to eyeball it, had to use the ohm meter to be sure. So made a journey to my neighborhood Ace Hardware to get not only 15 amp but 30 amp fuses too. Got home, replaced the blown fuse and, son of a gun, I saw the light, everything is working again.
2012 4Runner
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Sooo frustrating but you got to love it when it works!

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #20
Site Team

Have to really appreciate it when the manufacturer cares enough to help track down the problem.