sewer connection at full service site - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B
sewer connection at full service site

Hi,
I have a 2017 17B Escape with the sewer hose that is supplied by Escape. I have bought a hose support to use when I have a full hookup site. I am looking for suggestions of what to use to connect my stinky slinky to the sewer drain at my campsite.

I have simply stuck my hose into the opening of the sewer tank at the site, but would prefer something universal that would prevent sewer gas from leaking from the tank in the ground.

I have had no trouble dumping my tanks with the hose provided by Escape. I was at a site in November with full hookups and found I had to keep my tank valves closed anyway because of a drip. I wouldn't bother with another connector at all, but we are going to be camped for a month and I don't want to have to pull out of my site to dump tanks until I am ready to leave. I hope this makes sense to all those more experienced with this problem than I am. Thanks
Christian, Tommie and Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTomBuddy View Post
Hi,
I have a 2017 17B Escape with the sewer hose that is supplied by Escape. I have bought a hose support to use when I have a full hookup site. I am looking for suggestions of what to use to connect my stinky slinky to the sewer drain at my campsite.

I have simply stuck my hose into the opening of the sewer tank at the site, but would prefer something universal that would prevent sewer gas from leaking from the tank in the ground.

I have had no trouble dumping my tanks with the hose provided by Escape. I was at a site in November with full hookups and found I had to keep my tank valves closed anyway because of a drip. I wouldn't bother with another connector at all, but we are going to be camped for a month and I don't want to have to pull out of my site to dump tanks until I am ready to leave. I hope this makes sense to all those more experienced with this problem than I am. Thanks
Many use the Rhino brand hoses and accessories. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what is sounds like you are missing is the elbow and what they call the 4-in-1 dump fitting. It can either be held in place with something placed on top or has 3 different thread diameters where one would screw into the campsite sewer connection if available or at the dump station if applicable. Just as a reminder, even if you are hooked up to sewer you should leave your gray and black tank valves closed until your tanks are almost full. This prevents sewer gases from entering the trailer.

www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFLEX-Translucent-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B01HPHR2M4
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 1721
You could consider getting a Rhino Flex. Its a superior product to the hose Escape provides and it allows you to connect to a drain in a more secure fashion. The 15' will fit in the sewer tube. I don't think a 20' will.

I recommend keeping your valves closed until you are ready to dump or your tanks are 1/2 full or so. Leaving the valve open could cause solids to remain in the tank because there isn't enough liquid to flush it out.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Keeping valves closed also allows solids to break up in the black tank instead of creating a pyramid. When almost full, you can empty the black, followed by flushing the hose with grey water.
Recommend Odorlos in both the black and grey tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Also be aware that several campgrounds actually require a seal between the sewer hose and the sewer drain. The stock sewer hose doesn't provide that. You can add one of those rubber or neoprene donuts on the end of it to create a seal however. I like the Rhinoflex as others have mentioned. It comes with a fitting for the drain end that is threaded for different sized pipes. All the campgrounds I've encountered where a seal is required have threaded drains.

Regarding the other issue you mentioned, always leave your black tank valve shut unless you are actually dumping. In our case, we don't hook up the sewer hose at all unless we are dumping. One less thing to trip over or worry about, and I just think leaving it connected looks unsightly.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

Speaking of putting stuff away, I don't have one of those trestle things to support the hose. It's just one more thing to set up and one more thing to store. All you have to do when most of the contents are down the drain, is lift the hose with your hand, starting at the trailer and work toward the drain. You will be able to feel liquid running, if there is any left.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Speaking of putting stuff away, I don't have one of those trestle things to support the hose. It's just one more thing to set up and one more thing to store. All you have to do when most of the contents are down the drain, is lift the hose with your hand, starting at the trailer and work toward the drain. You will be able to feel liquid running, if there is any left.
While it's true that it's one more thing to put away, it also keeps the sewer hose out of the dirt, stones and pine needles... things that puncture sewer hoses. PLUS, in my case, keeps it out of the mud...when it's been raining. The Sidewinder I use collapses to about a foot square. I'd much rather turn on the hose bib and rinse the Sidewinder than the outside of the sewer hose. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #8

How do you put this in your grey tank?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTomBuddy View Post
How do you put this in your grey tank?
Odorlos? Pour it in the drain.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #10

Thanks, I didn't know if the product was a liquid or a powder.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just as a reminder, even if you are hooked up to sewer you should leave your gray and black tank valves closed until your tanks are almost full. This prevents sewer gases from entering the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
I recommend keeping your valves closed until you are ready to dump or your tanks are 1/2 full or so.
Quote:
Keeping valves closed also allows solids to break up in the black tank instead of creating a pyramid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Regarding the other issue you mentioned, always leave your black tank valve shut unless you are actually dumping.
Seems to be a theme here. If the above is not enough, here is a friendly reminder direct from the ETI Owner's Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
holding tanks.JPG  
Old 02-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Keeping valves closed also allows solids to break up in the black tank instead of creating a pyramid. When almost full, you can empty the black, followed by flushing the hose with grey water.
Recommend Odorlos in both the black and grey tanks.
We also use and recommend "Odorless "Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Seems to be a theme here. If the above is not enough, here is a friendly reminder direct from the ETI Owner's Manual.
Owner's manual aside, there was a fairly thorough discussion on this or another forum that 2 liters of re-fill water won't even fill the drain pipe of the black tank in a new generation 21' (not sure about other models and generations). I think it was generally agreed that the black tank (and by association, its drain pipe) should be re-filled until there is 1" - 2" of standing water in the bottom of the tank. I'll look for it, but can anyone else quickly find and link that prior discussion in case there is further interest in the topic?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Owner's manual aside, there was a fairly thorough discussion on this or another forum that 2 liters of re-fill water won't even fill the drain pipe of the black tank in a new generation 21' (not sure about other models and generations). I think it was generally agreed that the black tank (and by association, its drain pipe) should be re-filled until there is 1" - 2" of standing water in the bottom of the tank. I'll look for it, but can anyone else quickly find and link that prior discussion in case there is further interest in the topic?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post204625
Old 02-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Some campgrounds insist on having the sewer hose lifted. Happened to us in Benson AZ, went to Wallmart only one they had was aluminum stretch type one, expensive but easy to store away, have always used this since when we have a sewer hookup at a site.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Thanks Dave, That's it. I was searching for "black tank," and that wasn't pulling up the "black or gray tank" link in the top choices. Anyway, as the link finally arrives at from a couple different directions, the take-home message was that, in a new generation 21', it takes between 5 and 6 gallons of water to get 1" to 2" of standing water in the bottom of the black tank. Thanks again....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote