Sewer Hose Questions - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2018, 09:52 PM   #101

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
actually, those rubber caps hold quite securely when they are popped in ad the rubber is still fairly fresh. sure, in 10 years, they get old and hard, then they fall out too easily.
We had to replace the square sewer tube caps on our 2010 EggCamper. The plastic lost it's plasticity and wouldn't grip the inside of the tubing any more. Replaced them before we lost the sewer line. Relatively inexpensive:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Ca...CABEgLrFfD_BwE
On our Escape, we secure an inconspicuous little wire spring clip through the lock hole just in case the plastic latch works lose while we're on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09907.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #102

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
We got the Valterra Dominator when we got our Escape in 2016. However, the end that connects to the drain pipe wouldn't twist all the way on to create a secure connection due to the pins being too thick (picture below). I filed those down and it was usable to the last 2 years.

However, this year, we have a small leak in it so I have to get another hose. I liked the Dominator, but don't fancy having to file the connector down again.

We used to use the RhinoFlex on our Casita, but it didn't stay "snapped" together when I didn't need the whole 15'. I don't know if they still are that way or not.

So with that said, has anyone had issues with the hose being too tight to connect, and is there any brand that stays "snapped" together if all the hose is not needed?

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 5.03.20 PM.png  
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #103

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
We used to use the RhinoFlex on our Casita, but it didn't stay "snapped" together when I didn't need the whole 15'. I don't know if they still are that way or not.
Nathan, by "snapped" together, are you referring to how the segments spring open or closed and stays there? If so, we have the Rhino hose, and when filled with fluids while draining, it can spread a bit. I don't find this much of an issue when dumping though, as it stays tight when stowed away afterwards.

I had a cheaper hose supplied with my 2009 19, and found it's performance abysmal at best, and it had holes torn in it in no time. I bought a replacement Rhino hose and was happy with it, and was glad to see Escape offer it as an option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
as it stays tight when stowed away afterwards
Yes, by "snapped" together, is the same thing as it staying tight while being stowed. Sometimes, we are parked very close to the sewer drain, and its a pain when you have to snake the whole 15' around rather than keeping it tight and only using the length you need while the rest stays tight or "snapped" together.

Hope that explains?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #105

Quote:
Yes, by "snapped" together, is the same thing as it staying tight while being stowed. Sometimes, we are parked very close to the sewer drain, and its a pain when you have to snake the whole 15' around rather than keeping it tight and only using the length you need while the rest stays tight or "snapped" together.

Hope that explains?
Yes, that is what I was thinking you meant. I don't find I have to extend it to more than needed, but when the water is in it, it does tend to extend more of the hose out than intended.

Do you leave the hose out, or just bring it out to dump then stow it away? I do the latter on the rare occasion we need to dump before leaving a campground. It is always the grey filling up first.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #106

I usually leave it connected. With the 4 of us, it seems the gray has to be dumped every day or two, when at a campground and water is plentiful.

I found I was having to "walk the hose" the full length because like you say, water in the hose would expand it.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #107

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I usually leave it connected. With the 4 of us, it seems the gray has to be dumped every day or two, when at a campground and water is plentiful.

I found I was having to "walk the hose" the full length because like you say, water in the hose would expand it.

If you get a ramp and make sure there are no spots the hose can sag in it will not expand,
We had to buy one because some parks require them.
I usually use it now as it makes the site look a bit less messy.
Attached Thumbnails
71bNM9TpUyL._SL1500_.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #108
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If you get a ramp and make sure there are no spots the hose can sag in it will not expand,
Protects the hose too against accidental punctures from stones, twigs and pine needles, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #109

Quote:
Thanks wetzk! I do have that hose ramp and I find it to be very useful.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #110

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I don't care for the look of a sewer hose left attached, even on a ramp either. Probably because I am not used to seeing that where I camp. When at an RV park, I just pull it out to use it, then stow it away again. It takes but a minute to do.

With just the two of us, it usually takes at least 3 days to fill the grey tank. It the campsite sewer hookup is not a pipe in the air I sometimes just use my collapsible bucket to drain some off.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #111

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ditto Jim. I'm not dragging a ramp along. I rarely stay in serviced parks, but when I do, the hose comes out to dump and goes away so it's not a tripping hazard.
Since dumping only takes a few minutes, I don't expect to be caught not using a ramp.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:24 AM   #112

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I still have trouble twisting it on it's very tight to get it on and off
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 AM   #113

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Just my opinion, but I don't care for the look of a sewer hose left attached, even on a ramp either. Probably because I am not used to seeing that where I camp. When at an RV park, I just pull it out to use it, then stow it away again. It takes but a minute to do.

With just the two of us, it usually takes at least 3 days to fill the grey tank. It the campsite sewer hookup is not a pipe in the air I sometimes just use my collapsible bucket to drain some off.
Jim, we bought a sewer end cap with a regular hose connector on it and occasionally, where its suitable, we hook up a short length of hose to drain the grey water away especially in dry areas, where the extra water is welcome according to a camp attendant.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:02 AM   #114
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re: snapping out and ramps for the Rhinoflex, I have a metal 'ramp' that I think I like better than the black plastic one with the orange keeper-handle shown a few posts ago... like this one,
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Camco/CAM40351.html

now, I say "I think" because I used the plastic one several times with our casita, and havent' actually had to deploy this metal one yet because we haven't had it at an RV park hookup yet.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Jim, we bought a sewer end cap with a regular hose connector on it and occasionally, where its suitable, we hook up a short length of hose to drain the grey water away especially in dry areas, where the extra water is welcome according to a camp attendant.
I have considered this too. It would work great in places where you are allowed to dispense grey water into the bushes, and even quicker to drain a wee bit off in an RV park if needed. It would mean another hose though.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #116
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I have considered this too. It would work great in places where you are allowed to dispense grey water into the bushes, and even quicker to drain a wee bit off in an RV park if needed. It would mean another hose though.
Yep, but make sure to check with the campground. Some allow it, some don't. Also, we try not to use as little soap or harsh detergents as possible when we wash dishes, or lots of soap when we shower. That way, if we are allowed to drain the gray water for irrigation, it isn't filled with soap.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I would only add to this, make sure to check with the campground.
I always do.

At Quartzsite they suggested this. At a few BC Provincial Parks they have suggested this where they have no places for disposal. Boondocking there is nobody to ask.

I do everything possible to eliminate any solids. Plates and pots are scraped clean. I hate seeing chunks of noodles in the bushes when someone was too lazy to separate them first.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #118
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I always do.

At Quartzsite they suggested this. At a few BC Provincial Parks they have suggested this where they have no places for disposal. Boondocking there is nobody to ask.

I do everything possible to eliminate any solids. Plates and pots are scraped clean. I hate seeing chunks of noodles in the bushes when someone was too lazy to separate them first.
You and me both Jim. But the situation you described is one of the reasons why it's not allowed in many places. Who wants to see a pile of food waste on the ground? Yuck.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #119

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A major reason for campgrounds in the west (in Canada anyways) not allowing random dumping of grey water is that the food particles/scraps in the water are a major attractant to wildlife. Even where the practice is allowed, it can be problematic. Here is a picture of a bear in a grey water dump area of a back country campground that I stayed at last year. This bear was not at all afraid of humans and had obviously done this many times, as he was very intent on removing all of the rocks from the dump pit and eating any food scraps that could be found. The bear was a problem for campers at this site and others in the area, and was ultimately put down by the park ranger a few days later.
Attached Thumbnails
bear.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #120

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Before dumping gray water at Quartzsite, you might check with the Arizona BLM Rules for dispersed camping: "To further protect your public lands, campers must not dispose of any refuse, hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water, in any manner that would pollute the surrounding area. PACK IT OUT." see BLM Campgrounds & Picnic Areas.