Sewer Solution - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Sewer Solution

I had some fun emptying the blackwater tank on the Escape 19 for the first time so I thought I would share my thoughts.

I'm nowhere particularly near a dump station so I was looking at getting a macerator system for convenience so I could use my own sewer system for dumping. They're about $200 on the 'net for the Shurflo brand and require that you have access to high pressure water and a 12VDC source. I happened to be at Camping World after reading some reviews on the Sewer Solution. It's a simpler system that utilizes just hose power to force water through a jet to a coupler attached to the sewer hose connection. Under the force of the water the sewage, TP and crud is broken up and ejected through a 3/4" pipe that can be output directly to the sewer with the attached adapters, if you're 10' away. or you can buy more 10' hose, utilize press fit 1" PVC connections for longer runs, or do what I did and pick up some cheap 25' sump hose. The jet chamber is made of clear polycarbonate so you can watch the process, and it has a quick disconnect for the garden hose with a vacuum breaker to prevent reverse siphons. It also has a two position setup where you can go from the jet operation to a simple backflush. The hose connection was a pretty tight squeeze due to the proximity with the escape tires, so a short extender might be a good idea.

You start by connecting the sewer solution to the dump valve connection and the 10' hose to your sewer cleanout using the included adapters. I had to run a total of about 35 feet so I spent $12 on a 25' black corrugated 1-1/4" hose which connected right up to the 1" PVC Sewer Solution output fitting using a hose clamp. I snaked the hose across the lawn and into the sewer cleanout in front of our chimney. I ran it in there about a foot and put the cover (a small round concrete manhole) to hold it in place.

You get the hose running first and make sure there are no leaks, then open the gate valve on the black tank. Watching through the window you can monitor the process. It took about 2 minutes to empty the tank. Things do slow down as the tank nears empty. I switched the jet over to backfill and filled and emptied the tank a few times. It takes about 3 to four minutes to fill the tank and about 2 minutes to empty it. I think the bottom surface of the tank has some corrugation on it, a reticulation or something to give it more strength. It's physically located inside the trailer so it's hard to see clearly. I had purchased a separate cleanout wand that is designed to be lowered through the bowl and into the tank, but honestly it's such a short shot that the sprayback makes using that thing a problem. With rigid wands you have to hold the toilet trap open, too, to avoid damaging the edges. I would probably go with the soft wand next time because you can just put it in there and not worry about the trap getting damaged.

I think if I had a decent wand it would have flushed out clean in 3 refills but with what I was working with it was not quite clean after four. The tank had not been emptied in a few months probably. The PO also used a multiply toilet paper that did not break down much. However, the sewer solution never clogged.

I would rate it four out of five stars for convenience and performance. If I had not had the issue with trying to get the hose on so close to the driver side front tire tread it would have gone much more smoothly. You do need copious water so I don't think this would be a practical solution operating off the internal water tank and pump.

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Sewer Solution

Hi: memobug..."I had some fun emptying the blackwater tank". I too tried to do this manually. WARNING!!! WARNING!!! Do not attemp this with a small pail. Do not pull the gate valve fully out. There is no pail made big enough to catch the FLO...and it's impossible to jump back when crouched down. Paying the $10. at the Flying J, on the way home, would have been less odourous and easier on the laundry hamper!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

ROFLMAO
Sorry for getting a huge laugh outta your plight, Alf. But the implied visual was pretty hilarious.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Geo

What do people do when doondocking and their tank is full.
For Grey water I have dug a hole drained and filled in the hole.
Deep in the forest. Black water I'm thinking about a portable tank?
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

See post under for Sale or Barter:

We bought one of these: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...8-gallon/37870 but have found that we don't stay in one place long enough to make it worthwhile to haul it along with us. We really only used it once or twice.

If anyone could use it I would sell it for 1/2 of the new price. It would probably not be worth shipping it as I think it would cost about $30 or $40 to ship. So, I know it is a long shot, but if anyone is planning on traveling near our area - West Central WI and is interested, let me know and I will save it for you.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Matt,

Thanks for your post about the Sewer Solution. There are so many helpful details in what you've written, especially since you have experience with the use of the Sewer Solution on an Escape 19. We've never had a camper with a bathroom before, so dealing with black water will be new to us, and if we can avoid the stinky slinky that would be great.

Now that you've had your camper longer, perhaps you have more input regarding this statement you made, "The hose connection was a pretty tight squeeze due to the proximity with the escape tires, so a short extender might be a good idea." Have you come up with an extender? Or maybe we should talk to Rease and see if there is any way to make more space during construction of our 19 for the hose connection.

And in the category of questions only a total newbie would ask -- does the gray water drain from the same opening that the black water drains from? Where/when does the emptying of the gray water come into the process?

Is the Sewer Solution enough of a success that we should ask Rease to omit the storage tube on the back of our camper? Somebody posted that their replacement stinky slinky didn't fit in there anyway.

Liz
Old 08-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Hi Liz, a short 6" extension from Camping World eliminated the interference with the tire. It's clear polycarbonate and has a sight 30 degree angle to it.

Gray and black water do come from the same connection, but there are two dump valves that feed into it.

I suppose things would depend on how you use the trailer. We like the convenience of the sewer solution, and the fact that it can pump uphill a bit over longer distances, but if you were camping for several days and had a full hookup available, you might find it simpler to use that.

Regards,

Matt
Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha
Matt,

Thanks for your post about the Sewer Solution. There are so many helpful details in what you've written, especially since you have experience with the use of the Sewer Solution on an Escape 19. We've never had a camper with a bathroom before, so dealing with black water will be new to us, and if we can avoid the stinky slinky that would be great.

Now that you've had your camper longer, perhaps you have more input regarding this statement you made, "The hose connection was a pretty tight squeeze due to the proximity with the escape tires, so a short extender might be a good idea." Have you come up with an extender? Or maybe we should talk to Rease and see if there is any way to make more space during construction of our 19 for the hose connection.

And in the category of questions only a total newbie would ask -- does the gray water drain from the same opening that the black water drains from? Where/when does the emptying of the gray water come into the process? You'd want to keep that order, even with the sewer solution, because that just uses clear water to flush the hose. All the soap/detergents in the gray tank will clean the hose for you.

Is the Sewer Solution enough of a success that we should ask Rease to omit the storage tube on the back of our camper? Somebody posted that their replacement stinky slinky didn't fit in there anyway.

Liz
Hi Liz,
Important is that you drain the Black water first! Then when you drain the Gray tank, it automaticly washes out the "stinky slinky" so it's only "slinky" when you are done : - ) You would want to keep the same order even with the sewer solution. It flushes the hose with clear water only, so you'd want the soaps/detertgents to flush out your hose ahead of the clear water.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #9

I just have to jump in here. Alf, I would have paid a lot of money to see that "Pail" event. (I know it was a long time ago and you've learned a lot since then)

I have the Sewer Solution and I want you all to know, if you don't, that you can go to www.Sewersolution.com and buy the kit & / or parts for less money than CW. They are "blemished" kits and we both know there's nothing wrong with them.

I use the S.S. & the Stinky Slinky, just depending on what the situation is.

On the subject of "wands", some folks are installing the Black Tank Flush setup and it works GREAT! See this link to the Casitaforum thread: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...page__p__16341
It's way cool and it's on my "Mod" list.

Hey, we're all Fiberglass, right?

Regards,

Keith / "dreaming of an Escape 5.0
anvilmanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #10

Keith, they seem to be a pretty private bunch at the Casita forum, you can't even read the thread without registering.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #11

X2

Best Regards,
TurtleBax
TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Keith, they seem to be a pretty private bunch at the Casita forum, you can't even read the thread without registering.
Hi Jim, I didn't remember that because i have been registered for so many years I'm sure it's just because of so many hackers. As far as I know, it doesn't matter what ISP you use whereas the casitaclub.com can be a real problem for some ISP's. I guess it's a small price to pay if you want to see what's there. But, that's an individual choice. Lot's of good info on there and no commercials. Just like this one. I like that.

Best Regards,

Keith
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #14

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Just to clarify, there are two Casita related forums: casitaclub.com and casitaforum.com. The casitaforum.com has more technical information as well as general info and the web master knows a lot about Casitas as well as travel trailers in general (he was in the RV business) and is a fixture as the Oregon Gathering and other get togethers. As noted, casitaclub.com has some log in issues with a few ISPs.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I've been a member of both forums for a few years & find them useful & friendly, even for non Casita owners. The fiberglass egg world is small enough that we all need to be friends & keep in touch!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #16

I do like the ability to at least read threads on forums without registering, like most allow. Between photography, woodworking, outdoor pursuits, cooking, and the RV world alone, I am already registered on more forums than I could possibly follow. Plus, there are a few others. As far as RV's go, I only read posts here, unless directed somewhere else via a link.

I have no doubt there is some great information at the Casita sites, I just don't care to register at yet another one.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

I ordered the sewer solution a couple of weeks ago when Camping World had it on sale for $89.00

The price at my local RV shop was $199.95

Having never owned a trailer before, I'm new to everything . Take the whole poop evacuation system, throw in Murphy's Law and that means I'll try anything to avoid wearing my waste!

Yeah, I know - **** happens...

Poo-pourri anyone?

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails
poo-pourri.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye
I've been a member of both forums for a few years & find them useful & friendly, even for non Casita owners. The fiberglass egg world is small enough that we all need to be friends & keep in touch!
AMEN!

EKW
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #19

Just ordered the Sewer Solution on Ebay. $86.00 plus $7.80 shipping by U.S. Postal Service. We are trying to go with a principal mentioned on the Casita Forum--don't buy stuff until you are in your camper and find out you really need it. Couldn't resist breaking the rule just this once. Hehe.

--Liz
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug
Hi Liz, a short 6" extension from Camping World eliminated the interference with the tire. It's clear polycarbonate and has a sight 30 degree angle to it.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info regarding the 6" extension for use with the Sewer Solution. This link shows the extensions available at Camping World: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapters/3709

Which one of the extensions shown do you think would work best? Thanks again for the help.

Liz