Showers - how many use them? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #141

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I've taken about 235 showers since this thread started...probably about 30 in my trailer...
One a week, that would be 2010?
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #142

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The US uses more than 1 trillion gallons of water per annum for showering . Anyone who has had teenage kids living at home knows that an 8 minute shower is on the low end . My one daughter's (We have four) shower always ended when the fifty gallon hot water tank ran out of hot water . It was the subject of numerous discussions / arguments !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #143

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Having 5 daughters they got 1 warning then if they didn't 't hurry it up , we shut the water to house off . Later on gave them the bill to pay . Then the shoe was on the other foot they did not want us to water plants etc. They are all grown now and turned out alright .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #144

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Having 5 daughters they got 1 warning then if they didn't 't hurry it up , we shut the water to house off . Later on gave them the bill to pay . Then the shoe was on the other foot they did not want us to water plants etc. They are all grown now and turned out alright .
Only two kids here but that threat didn't work (they took showers when I wasn't home) and now that they are grown up I don't have clue how long the showers are.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #145

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My opinion. For the most part, in North America anyway, we shower WAY more than we need. Cleanliness for the sake of good health is extremely important, showering for the sake of vanity, not so much. I know people who shower because they were wearing a hat, or have bed head. Why not just wet your hair and brush/comb? I know people who shower everyday before and after work, as they don't want to change into clean clothes without doing so. Some of these people also insist on washing clothes after just one wear. To each their own I guess, just not my chosen way of doing things.

We install dozens of hot water heaters every year, and at least 90% are high-efficient, on-demand, ones. While the energy savings for fuel consumption is nice, we have customers that complain that now their kids can hang out in the shower all day without the hot water running out. I do applaud Pat and Linda for education their daughters in a way they would understand on hot water usage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #146
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know people who shower because they were wearing a hat, or have bed head.
Ah, the virtues of being a baldy like us! No bed head possible.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
For certain. I so love it. I have had it this way for 15 years now. Love the low maintenace, and lack of hat head all the time. A quick wipe of entire head with a warm cloth is extremely refreshing too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #148

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
For certain. I so love it. I have had it this way for 15 years now. Love the low maintenace, and lack of hat head all the time. A quick wipe of entire head with a warm cloth is extremely refreshing too.
Sure but do you provide sunglasses to those around you?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #149

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
My opinion. For the most part, in North America anyway, we shower WAY more than we need. Cleanliness for the sake of good health is extremely important, showering for the sake of vanity, not so much. I know people who shower because they were wearing a hat, or have bed head. Why not just wet your hair and brush/comb? I know people who shower everyday before and after work, as they don't want to change into clean clothes without doing so. Some of these people also insist on washing clothes after just one wear. To each their own I guess, just not my chosen way of doing things.

We install dozens of hot water heaters every year, and at least 90% are high-efficient, on-demand, ones. While the energy savings for fuel consumption is nice, we have customers that complain that now their kids can hang out in the shower all day without the hot water running out. I do applaud Pat and Linda for education their daughters in a way they would understand on hot water usage.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here Jim. Is the water consumption or the fuel consumption bothering you. Here in the Garibaldi Highlands, BC., we get an average of 7 feet of rain a year. So...water consumption (regarding the use of the shower) is not really an issue. Fuel to heat the water is another thing.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #150

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
The Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As one who has been bald for 48 years, I can say that we must mention:

God does not put marble tops on cheap furniture!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Sure but do you provide sunglasses to those around you?
No way, it is the only way I can seem bright!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at here Jim. Is the water consumption or the fuel consumption bothering you. Here in the Garibaldi Highlands, BC., we get an average of 7 feet of rain a year. So...water consumption (regarding the use of the shower) is not really an issue. Fuel to heat the water is another thing.
Both, actually. And it really is just a comment on what some folks feel is required, something that I don't see the same way. I would bet there are WAY more areas in North America that have a shortage of water, than an excess. There are predictions even for Calgary, with all its runoffs from the mountains, and receding glaciers, that we can expect way less water into the future. And the costs are not just that to heat the water, but those of water, and on the other end sewage, treatment.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #152

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
My opinion. For the most part, in North America anyway, we shower WAY more than we need.
Indeed. In "Packing for Mars" author Mary Roach described NASA's experiments in human cleanliness during the Apollo program. It appears that human skin is happiest with a five-day build-up of oils. One researcher said, "Personal hygiene as practiced in the U.S. today is largely a cultural fetish, actively promoted by those with commercial interests."

Reading her book made me squirm. Eeeww.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #153

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And then, there's all that anti-bacterial soap that's being flushed into the drains.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #154

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
... It appears that human skin is happiest with a five-day build-up of oils...
My typical day at home has at least 2 showers. I have done the 5 day without showers while canoe camping, but you would have to stay up wind of me to be able to tolerate me. When staying in the Escape, frequency of showers is probably about 1 per 3 days if using the Escape showers, and 1 per day if using campground facilities.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #155

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
[QUOTE=Mike Lewis;74032]
Quote:
My opinion. For the most part, in North America anyway, we shower WAY more than we need.
/QUOTE]

Indeed. In "Packing for Mars" author Mary Roach described NASA's experiments in human cleanliness during the Apollo program. It appears that human skin is happiest with a five-day build-up of oils. One researcher said, "Personal hygiene as practiced in the U.S. today is largely a cultural fetish, actively promoted by those with commercial interests."

Reading her book made me squirm. Eeeww.
Being told you smell like an old boar hog can hurt your feelings. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #156

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When dry camping, I do a navy shower every 4-5 days or so. if the campground has showers, every other day. At home, at least one a day - I need one if I go for a jog in the AM, and I usually swim laps at lunchtime & it is necessary because of the chlorine.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #157

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Since I suffer from acid reflux I keep the trailer just over an inch from level. We sleep with our heads on the driver or emergency window side. The benefit to this is I can drink beer, scotch etc. and the shower drains efficiently. The sink also drains better. We use the trailer shower when the need arrises.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #158

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ditto that...
Attached Thumbnails
Pogo3ab.jpg  
Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #159

Myron, you smell great from here.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #160

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And then, there's all that anti-bacterial soap that's being flushed into the drains.
Is that worse or better than anything else in the bowels of the infrastructure?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote