Showers - how many use them? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Showers - how many use them?

Not talking about your personal cleanness, I'm talking about the shower in your trailer. Do you really use it? Are there advantages or disadvantages of the having the shower in the trailer?
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #2

Trailer: n/a
My wife and I MTB race and ride and also ride dirt bikes. At the end of the day we can be pretty dirty and sweaty so have a quick shower can be pretty nice. If we camp somewhere that has showers we would likely use them, but often, especially with the dirt bikes, showers are no where in to be had.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We don't and the previous owners said they didn't either.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
We do! Well, I do... My husband prefers washcloth baths, but I like my running water, however briefly I let it run. I think it depends on your camping style; we camp at places without any services or just with pit toilets at least half the time, so don't have other options. Last summer we were at a campground with showers when the septic system backed up and they had to bring in porta potties for everyone, so we were the only ones in our group who could shower for 36 hours. I don't see it as wasted space since I wanted a toilet in the trailer regardless and I would find it inconvenient to get a toilet in and out of a cabinet and close all the blinds each time I wanted to use it. Everyone is different, to each their own!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I concur. If you are going to have a toilet, you might as well have the shower.
I've used it less than a dozen times in five years, but I was happy to have it.
Mostly, we use the outside shower to wash our hair or rinse off.
I take the all-weather mat out of the RAV and stand on it so dirt doesn't splash up.
I'm not hauling a porta-potti around. Had one at a cabin I owned. Never again.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
If the campground has nice showers we will use them but if they aren't nice or we have to pay or are boondocking we use ours. We also have a 25' extension hose for the outside shower and a quick erecting enclosure but haven't used it yet. The 19' inside shower is definitely nice!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Our shower too has been used about 10 times in 5 years. But, we do use the toilet at night and would not want to be without it, so no harm in having the shower.

We do mostly boondocking, so water conservation (without hauling lots of extra) is a bit of a concern, so we usually just sponge bath if needed. Much more fun with help. Besides, we are camping, so don't worry too much. The campfire smoke smell overwhelms most body odours.

We are very used to spending 7-10 days in the backcountry, where simplified hygiene is required. It is amazing how a washcloth and a couple liters of hot water can feel absolutely luxurious.

If at a campground, we always just use their showers. More room, so less hassle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm not buying my trailer with forward thoughts on resale. BUT, if you are... check the listings where trailers didn't have showers, the replies and the lower resale value. I figure it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Our sticky has a small dry bath, not as small as the Escapes wet bath, but still small. We only use it when CG showers are not available or in very bad order. A couple times a year, maybe. We also have the external shower, but we've not used it, never had a need.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We tend to camp at cooler times of the year, do a lot of hiking during the day, and use our shower frequently. With the on/off switch on the shower head we just get wet, soap up and wash, then rinse off. Its amazing how little water it uses this way. Even when there are CG showers it is nice to stay all warm in the trailer. (Getting older and lazier!)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We use the outside shower, haven't used the inside shower.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #12

I am in search of a 15 B Escape and it HAS to have a shower/toilet. I'll use the campground showers occasionally to conserve the water I carry and not have to dump the gray water until I leave if there is no sewer/water at the site. Better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Ours gets used a fair bit. Seems to all depend on the situation, If we are in a campground with showers I will use them if they are in reasonable condition. The Ladies however much prefer to shower in the trailer regardles. I have used the shower in the trailer and it works well. Its surprising how much room is actually in there .
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Any shower is better than no shower! In our 16' Scamp the capacity of fresh water is about 12 gallons, so technique is all important to get through a 2 day campout. With 2 people it is almost impossible. We have run out of water a couple of times, and carried an extra 5 gallon container when needed.
Even with the limited capacity it is still a luxury to have a shower available. I camped many years in the back of a pickup, tents, and backpacking where it was hard to clean up or had to wait until returning home.
In camp grounds we use their showers due to stretching room, and not having to dry our shower.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #15

Trailer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not buying my trailer with forward thoughts on resale. BUT, if you are... check the listings where trailers didn't have showers, the replies and the lower resale value. I figure it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it.
I think there is also a lot of truth to this. There were a few trailers I would have bought had they had a toilet/shower but had to pass to wait for the right one.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #16

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
We will use nice campground showers if using the trailer shower would force us to have to make an extra trip to the dump station. If the campground showers are nasty, we'll make the extra trip to the dump station anyway. If we have full hook-ups we will usually just use the trailer shower, unless the campground showers are awfully nice, then we will consider using them. Most of the state parks here in Florida (and the South, in general), are very nice, and the majority don't have full hook-ups, so we usually end up using the campground showers.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #17

Not just here, but in other threads, I have heard reference to campground showers that folks won't use due to the conditions. I must admit that I don't use campgrounds a lot, but when I have, I have never had issue with their showers. Sure, some were quite basic, and not fancy at all, but just as long as they are clean, I am good with using them.

Most of the campgrounds I have used were provincial/state ones, where I imagine minimal standards are kept, so for this reason I might not have had issue. One private campground I have used a few times is the Nk'mip RV Park where the Escape Rally is held, and their washrooms/showers were fine.

Have people come across campground showers that posed any issues with safety before?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I wouldn't have a trailer without one. I am trying to figure out how to keep the toilet area dry. Right now I string a short width of shower curtain that drapes in front of it so I can keep that area dry. That works pretty well. The kids usually use the outside shower with one of those flip-flop mats on a tarp for their feet and tarps hung for a "room". They also bathe in their bathing suits. I am planning on getting one of those pop-up shower rooms for them.They often use the camp showers if they are clean with lots of hot water. If it is cold they use the indoor one as a last resort. Three girls showering inside can make a 17B like a sardine can!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have had a few in private campgrounds Jim, One that comes to mind was a couple of years ago in Montana , was just a one night stop so no big deal. The other part is some times the shower house can be a long ways from your site and quite busy. Whistlers in Jasper comes to mind. Like some others on this site, when you have done some back country camping where a dip in a glacier fed stream to clean up is your only real option the shower in trailer seems like luxury. And yes a glacier fed stream is as cold as it sounds, maybee even colder
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

Dave, I have bathed in many a glacial fed stream or river, or dipped into a cold high mountain lake. Definitely refreshing.

I never have an issue with busy showers as I am a morning shower person when I have one, and go a 6AM, long before the masses get going.