Slide Valve Leak on a 2017 ?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B SOLD
Slide Valve Leak on a 2017 ??

When I opened the Black Lid to dump my Tanks, I noticed a cup of liquid spill out on the ground before I could attach the Sewage Hose or even open the Black Valve.

I was surprised as I did not expect it, any way I went ahead with attaching the Sewage hose & drained both the Tanks & left the Camp Ground.

I am a newbie & I have been researching this issue on Forums etc..., can anyone help me figure out what I could do to prevent this or repair this before my next camping trip on our Brand New 17B.

Thanks
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If it continues you probably need to have the gate/valve replaced. There are seals on either side of the sliding gate.

3" Slide Valve with Gate Seals - Valterra T1003 VPM - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

If it continues, call ETI, they should pay for the repair.

Do you have the undercarriage foam?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Which is probably stil under warranty. Give ETI a call to find out.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

Yes, I think I do.

This happened in November & Temp was in 50-60*sF.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is always some residual in my common passage way. Left over from the last drainage. Every time I remove the exterior cover some liquid drips out. I put an empty coffee can and hook up the hose. when I disconnect, I put the can under as more drips out before I reattach the cover. It is not 100% leak proof.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is always some residual in my common passage way. Left over from the last drainage. Every time I remove the exterior cover some liquid drips out. I put an empty coffee can and hook up the hose. when I disconnect, I put the can under as more drips out before I reattach the cover. It is not 100% leak proof.
It's nasty to do but you can lube the area. Grab a big dollop of Vaseline or silicon lube and with the gate open smear it around getting as much as you can into the space inside the two sides of the rubber seal.
Also at times toilet paper and other stuff can get wedged in the inner part of the seal preventing it from closing completely . An old toothbrush can clean it out.

Here is a photo showing the area I am describing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180101_191701289.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #7

For the grey or if you do not want do this to the black you can dump 1/2 cup of fractionated coconut oil if you live in a cool climate ( that's what in the commercial waste valve lube ) or during the summer the type that melts around 76 degrees F 24.4 C. into the tank.
Or support industry and buy the commercial stuff.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #8

The foam makes it a bit of a pain to replace if that's what it needs, a good thing to have someone else do as it's under warranty.

You can certainly still use the trailer, just put something under it when you open the cover, and wear gloves, which is a good thing to do irregardless. Mine doesn't leak but you could just hold the hose end or some such under it while you remove the cover.

Although lubing it isn't a bad thing to do, although being brand new yours shouldn't need it. I've done mine when it starts to get tough to open.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

Thank you for your helpful replies,

The Valve Handle is not hard to pull or push.

This was our 2nd Camping Trip, driving up from Florida to Tennessee to watch the Leaves turning color, the same trip there was the water leak under the rear Dinette turned bed. With the help of another prior post on this Forum, I could trace it to the Water Heater Screws being loose causing the Leak.

I just hope our Luck with the much longed for and awaited Escape Trailer, turns better in 2018.
For newbies like us, the surprises were quite stressful. The realities of Camping are different than its Lore.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
It’s a new trailer so I would clean it or have it fixed properly as others have suggested. You got me thinking though....adding another slide valve with a bayonet connection would be a temporary fix to a leaky waste valve. This might be good for anyone to carry as a quick remedy to a valve that acts up while camping.

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Val...SABEgKaifD_BwE
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It’s a new trailer so I would clean it or have it fixed properly as others have suggested. You got me thinking though....adding another slide valve with a bayonet connection would be a temporary fix to a leaky waste valve. This might be good for anyone to carry as a quick remedy to a valve that acts up while camping.

www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/T58.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-6X-vJ-42AIVB0sNCh3hZgNcEAQYASABEgKaifD_BwE
Just make sure you are aware it will stick out further than the original parts.
It sucks to ruin your plumbing on a trip.

Notice how nice and new looking the part I showed above looked? The top part was snapped off so it is useless. It came off a previous larger trailer that we were taking the maiden trip with. The tanks had not even been used yet. I managed to wipe out the black and grey parts on a small tree stump in a very tight trailer park. I was directed right into it. My fault too as I should have walked it out before I backed in. But it meant the trailer was water free that trip.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I had this happen once and it freaked me out a bit. I don't know why and it's never done it since. So, maybe it won't happen to you again. Fingers crossed! I don't put TP down the toilet, so I know it wasn't due to a clog of paper, as one person suggested.

Good luck!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Just make sure you are aware it will stick out further than the original parts.
It sucks to ruin your plumbing on a trip.
Good point. At a minimum it will be sticking out roughly 5". With the way the bayonet works it appears that one could keep the handle horizontal and not impact ground clearance, but maybe that depends on the trailer and the arrangement of the waste termination.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 17
"There is always some residual in my common passage way. Left over from the last drainage. Every time I remove the exterior cover some liquid drips out"

same here. just hold the sewer hose below to catch then screw it on. 4 people reported it on this thread including you OP, seems fine to me.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Water molecules are tiny. That's why it's so dang hard to find where a leak is coming from sometimes. You think you've got the valve closed? Push it closed, then push it again. I first hookup the sewer hose to the sewer connection, holding the end right underneath the valve, I take the cap off. Any residual water goes into the sewer hose. I'm glad I wear gloves
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Water molecules are tiny. That's why it's so dang hard to find where a leak is coming from sometimes. You think you've got the valve closed? Push it closed, then push it again. I first hookup the sewer hose to the sewer connection, holding the end right underneath the valve, I take the cap off. Any residual water goes into the sewer hose. I'm glad I wear gloves
Worse I ever had was pull the t-handle and watch the hose move around as it filled with black water and proceed to detach at the other end between the hose and coupling. I discovered the rhino flex hose was not screwed in all the way. They just had the flex pipe barely on the coupling. The sewer pipe did have to be surrounded by blacktop too so it was obvious I had a spill. I noticed on the one I purchased recently they now have a yellow paper band attached to the hose with instructions. So I must have not been the only one to have that happen.
Attached Thumbnails
rhinoflex.jpg  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #17

After discussing this issue of spillage at the start of dumping with Reece, he advised me to first try this-

- After dumping both the Tanks,
Fill 1/2 the Tank with fresh water by flushing the toilet & with the showerhead.
Then repeatedly open & close the black sliding valve, hopefully dislodging if there is something stuck in the way of the Valve.

If it continues to have spillage issues, then he may come up with something next.

So, I am hoping things will get proper while dumping after the above.

Thanks every body
Old 01-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #18

Do the new Escapes have a single dump pipe or 2 separate ones?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #19

Single

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When my black water valve did the same thing , I just removed the valve assembly , disassembled the valves , cleaned and lubricated the parts ( Silicone Grease ) , reassembled the parts and reinstalled the assembly . Total time start to finish about 1 1/2 hours working at a moderate pace . I now do drain valve maintenance yearly .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote