Slow grey water dumping? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19'
Our 2013 Escape 19 is slow dumping the grey tank also. I've tried pulling the right wheels up on blocks but it didn't seem to help much. Not a big deal but aggravating when other folks are waiting in line at a dump station.

jcfezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
If you look under the Escape, you'll see that the gray water tank is very broad and doesn't have any vertical drop to the drain. It drains off the bottom of the side of the tank. The black water tank, on the other hand, sits higher, is smaller horizontally, and has a vertical drop into the drain. The result is higher pressure for draining. It drains in no time, which is what we'd like to see with the gray water. But the gray water is just not going to do as well the way the system is configured (which is very similar to Casitas, where people also talk about slow draining). Raising the passenger side is about the only thing that will speed things up. I like to get the tank as empty as possible, but I don't worry too much about leaving a little in there, especially if someone is waiting behind me. It's a little more forgiving than not completely dumping the black water.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Had to revisit this thread as we were becoming a little concerned about the fact that our grey water tank always reads 1/3 full no matter how much we try to drain it. We've tried raising the passenger side a bit, jumping up and down, flushing through more water but nothing budges it lower than 1/3. Feel better knowing we're not alone ...
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 15B
You're not alone. Our 15B also seems to stay on 1/3 for quite some time. It seems to go to zero only after a period of storage between trips. Perhaps it just needs to be REALLY dry. I'm interested in the experience of others also.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
You're not alone. Our 15B also seems to stay on 1/3 for quite some time. It seems to go to zero only after a period of storage between trips. Perhaps it just needs to be REALLY dry. I'm interested in the experience of others also.
Ours also reads 1/3 full even when I was flushing it Saturday. That means the valve and cap were fully open. I even hosed the sensors to no avail. I am going to add measured gallons to see if the 2/3 full is accurate.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #26

Trailer: ?
It really helps to tip the trailer up on the passenger side if you want to empty the gray tank. Either a sloped dump site or run the passenger side tire(s) up on some (un)leveling blocks.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I am going to add measured gallons to see if the 2/3 full is accurate.
I haven't looked, but I wonder how close the 1/3 full sensor is to the bottom of the tank. It would be really interesting to start with a level trailer, totally dry tank, and then add water a gallon at a time. With such a small flow coming out of the drain when it's still reading 1/3, either the sensor must be really close to the bottom of the tank, or there is enough water clinging to the wall of the tank to form a conduction path. The gray tank is about as simple as anything can be, and there is just no way there is 8+ gallons of gray water in there when it's trickling out. So I essentially ignore the 1/3 reading and start paying attention at 2/3 when we're camping.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Slow gray water draining is a big thing on the CasitaForum and one of Larry Gambles biggest mods in the Little House Customs. Surely y'all don't need to drive up on blocks to drain? That's sooo Casita....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Surely y'all don't need to drive up on blocks to drain? That's sooo Casita....
"Y'all" will be "WE" as soon as you get your 5'er! I think it's a different issue. If I remember correctly, Larry's Casita mod was to go to a larger diameter drain pipe, not because the original is too small, but boring out the side of the gray tank and installing a larger diameter pipe had the effect of penetrating the tank at a lower point on the side and then maintaining this low level all the way to the exit. I just don't think there is that much gray water left in the Escape's tank by the time it drops to little more than a trickle, which isn't all that long.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Will bilge pumps be next on the build sheets and mods lists?

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote