Slow grey water dumping? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Actually, there must be perfumes in it also as it smells pretty good! Really surprised how well it worked considering it just sat there and there was no turbulence created in the tank, as would occur in travel. It might even work better when traveling. At any rate, I'm happy with it.
Enter the "surfactants" -- scented ones.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Well...I guess what I am saying is personally I do not need tank probes to use my trailer. I am probably one of the few to take this position. Our last little fiberglass trailer didn't have them. From experience, I have developed a good sense or "guess-ta-mation" as to when it's time to dump.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My black tank sensor indicated I was 2/3 full after dumping. We all know what that means.
When I got home I used the wand. Quick shots of high pressure water and sensor read empty.
Just wish I could do it without getting sprayed in the face.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #84

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Maybe I've just lucked out, but I do the ice cube thing after the final dumping. I get the 10# bag at a nearby market or gas station and let it all rattle around on the trip home. On occasion I will add one of the enzyme "drop ins" to become activated after "the big chill".
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #85

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Maybe I've just lucked out, but I do the ice cube thing after the final dumping. I get the 10# bag at a nearby market or gas station and let it all rattle around on the trip home. On occasion I will add one of the enzyme "drop ins" to become activated after "the big chill".
How do you get cubes in the grey water tank? My problem has never been with black water but with grey. Black seems easy to clean. I was looking for something for grey.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #86

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I posted our issue on 23 June and, after trying everything, we gave up. Now, four weeks later after just sitting, our tank reads "empty". Did the water dry up? Did all those enzymes I put in the tank finally work? Fascinating ...
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #87

Remember the 'good old days', when you pitched a tent, and had to walk in the dark to the outhouse?
Sometimes, I think the problem is too much information.
I sprayed my black tank sensors a couple days ago and the monitor went from 2/3 full to empty. Today, it's back to 1/3 full and the trailer hasn't left the driveway.
I've never come close to filling my grey tank and I can just look down the hole to determine how full the black tank is.
Monitoring my battery just raises my anxiety levels.
I'm off for four days boondocking tomorrow. I'm leaving the genset at home because I don't want it stolen while I'm off fishing. Taking the portable solar panel. I guess I'll put in the bathroom while I'm away from camp so it doesn't get stolen.
Hoping the fridge manages to keep my beer cold.
I do this to relax.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:49 AM   #88

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You must be fishing in a high crime area with these stealing fears. Just enjoy the outdoors and good luck with the fishing.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #89

I brought this thread back to life to share a couple of things. One, tipping really high on the passenger side significantly helps. At our last stop on the way home from Osoyoos, we used the Andersen Leveler and really raised the passenger side. No slow drain this time. I think that not only is the gray tank broad and flat but the holding bands cinch the tank in at least two places causing low spots. Without a significant tip, you can leave the valve open all day and it isn't going to get the stuff out of those low spots. Also, I found that all of the commercial cleaning wands didn't even begin to reach the other side of the gray tank. I built a new one for less than $10 and made it twice as long as most commercial ones. All of the parts were purchased at Lowes. I also drilled the flush hole backwards as has been suggested by ETI. I couldn't believe the gunk I got out of the tank that wasn't even touched by the commercial wand. AND my tank reads empty after a quick rinse. First time it has read empty in a while. Pictures below of the new, longer wand:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4257.jpg   IMG_4258.jpg   IMG_4261.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #90

Trailer: Escape
How do you use the wand to flush the grey water tank ?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
...my tank reads empty after a quick rinse. First time it has read empty in a while.

Good tip about the tilting, but we've never had an issue with slow emptying of the tank. Our tank always reads empty when it is, probably thanks to the Horst Probes we had ETI install.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
How do you use the wand to flush the grey water tank ?
Remove flush cover, open gray valve and insert the wand. Start at the back of the tank and turn the wand with water on. Periodically remove the wand to allow free flow of water out. Repeat.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our gray tank was often slow. It is a matter of whether you want to wait around for it or not. Water should always be in the black tank and perhaps a little left in the gray tank to slosh around is a good thing as well. We could dump and then the black would read 2/3 full sometimes --- tp can get caught on the sensor.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #94

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
it has been a nagging question of mine every time we drain the dish sink into the grey holding tank...will all those food crud and porridge grains actually flush out or do they build in the bottom? Not sure if I follow putting the wand in the drain outflow as the grey tank piping is smaller than the black...do you somehow shove it up into the grey tank or just let the pressure from the wand shoot up there? Our gauge hasn't read less than 2/3 in the 3 months we've been on the road and that is after draining for 10 minutes.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
Remove flush cover, open gray valve and insert the wand. Start at the back of the tank and turn the wand with water on. Periodically remove the wand to allow free flow of water out. Repeat.
There's a flush cover? Hmm. Just learned something.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There's a flush cover? Hmm. Just learned something.
Valve cover?? Drain cover?? Whatever the big cover is that you have to remove to hook the slinky to the drain line. Since there are gated valves for both the black and gray tanks, I just assumed this is called a cap, cover, drain cap, flush cover, etc
Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerfan View Post
it has been a nagging question of mine every time we drain the dish sink into the grey holding tank...will all those food crud and porridge grains actually flush out or do they build in the bottom? Not sure if I follow putting the wand in the drain outflow as the grey tank piping is smaller than the black...do you somehow shove it up into the grey tank or just let the pressure from the wand shoot up there? Our gauge hasn't read less than 2/3 in the 3 months we've been on the road and that is after draining for 10 minutes.
1/2 inch PVC will fit through the gate area of the GRAY tank allowing you to get the wand all the way back into the tank. By turning the nozzle toward the floor of the tank, you loosen and start flushing whatever is in there toward the gate. I couldn't believe how much gunk had built up in there that normal flushing was not getting out. I should have taken a picture. All I can say is that the longer wand I built and being able to push all the way to the back of the gray tank has really helped. Also raising the passenger side dramatically allowed us to empty the gray tank in less than 5 minutes with no trickle after that.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #98

Question, since I've never flushed my grey tank. Instead of making a longer wand, can you not just insert the regular one and push it up and in with the hose?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Valve cover?? Drain cover?? Whatever the big cover is that you have to remove to hook the slinky to the drain line. Since there are gated valves for both the black and gray tanks, I just assumed this is called a cap, cover, drain cap, flush cover, etc
OK, thanks for clarifying Tim. I thought there was maybe an access cover directly on the tank that I didn't know about. Never occured to me that a long solid pipe could make it into the gray tank via the drain cap, due to the bend in the plumbing.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Question, since I've never flushed my grey tank. Instead of making a longer wand, can you not just insert the regular one and push it up and in with the hose?
The hose joint won't make it past the gate valve, it is too small. Already tried that. The cap on the PVC pipe just clears the opening.