Solar 160 w? vs Dual 6V Lifeline AGM batteries? why is the solar costly? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I have a question, on the 19 Escape I have seen trailers like "Past Tents" with a solar panel on the rear of the trailer and others with the panel between the AC and the Maxi fan. Where does ETI mount it on a 19? Also, how hard would it be to add a panel and run two 10 gauge wires from a panel to the compartment where the breaker panel is mounted (where I want a controller mounted - close to the batteries)?? I think I really need to buy a plane ticket and go to the factory.
Visiting the factory is always a good way to get all your questions answered, take measurements, plan options, and even get a tour.

On Past Tents as well as all 19s with the 160W panel, the panel is installed to the rear. They used to install a 95W panel closer to the middle. The 160W panel is larger and can't fit there like the 95W.

With the new 150W panel installed by Escape, its basically the same size as the 160W, so its installed toward the rear as well.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One of the biggest challenges with a trailer roof tilt mount would be accessing it. It would require bringing along a bulky ladder of some sort.
I chose a bit bigger (100 watt) panel than needed and flat mounted it knowing the sun angle would often be less than ideal. Plenty of energy to keep me topped off each afternoon.

John

Toymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The newer, larger panels are on the rear, the older, smaller ones are between a/c and vent, amidship.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The newer, larger panels are on the rear, the older, smaller ones are between a/c and vent, amidship.

Kinda what I said Jim, although you said it more succinctly.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Visiting the factory is always a good way to get all your questions answered, take measurements, plan options, and even get a tour.
We visited one too many times and ended up in a 19' when we had decided upon a 17B.
lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I have a question, on the 19 Escape I have seen trailers like "Past Tents" with a solar panel on the rear of the trailer and others with the panel between the AC and the Maxi fan. Where does ETI mount it on a 19? Also, how hard would it be to add a panel and run two 10 gauge wires from a panel to the compartment where the breaker panel is mounted (where I want a controller mounted - close to the batteries)?? I think I really need to buy a plane ticket and go to the factory.
When I added my second panel on my 17 (I have the Escape optional 95 watt panel on the rear & an added 100 watt panel on the front) I used MC4 Branch Connectors to combine both panels on the roof. Some photos at the bottom of my Trailer Modifications Page.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
or leave the generator at home, get the factory package with dual sixers and have them install a tap for your portable panel. Other than a/c, you would not need a generator.
This is what I think I will do.

Great idea.

thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #38

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
a sealed AGM Lifeline GPL-27T battery. Sealed, high performance. Works great!

My question is…. this is a $300 battery (ouch)
Hello John,

A LifeLine 12v 27T is 20hr rated at 100 AH.
(2) Lifeline 6v 4CT costs $548 delivering 220AH at the Costa Mesa CA dealer I went to today. This is pick up cost.

Today, I bought (2) LifeLine 6v 6CT both for $690 producing 300 AH. I will have these 2 installed some time next week. After its all working, I expect to add (2) LineLine 6v 6CT for a total of 520 AH.

Deka brand is well regarded and sold by Wallmart/Sams. A lot less $ and has good reputation.

As you might know, I now have the classic 21ft. The initial (2) 300AH batteries are going in next week, one under the sink cabinet between the two wheel wells and the other underneath the refrigerator, almost between the wheel wells. When I add two more 6 volts units I can still add one under sink cabinet and other under closet. Alternatively, both smaller 6v units ( 4CT ) under dinette seat on street side as close to the wheel well as possible. Unless you open the cabinet doors you will not know the house batteries are there.

I am with you, zero maintenance, no corrosive fumes and minimal discharge rate when stored unlike wet cells that requires trickle charge. Problem is their initial cost but tempered by their much longer life, they could be cheaper in the long run.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Hey Santiago

thanks so much for the good info. Much appreciated.

Your battery setup will be impressive!

I loved having the sealed AGM battery in the Casita (now sold) .... especially as the Casita's battery nook was a giant pain to get the battery in and out of for maintenance.

The Escape 21' sure does have much easier battery compartment access, and I already own the hydrometer and the safety glasses and goggles.

We decided to put the cash towards a second roof solar panel, installed by ETI.... ans having 2, in good sun, means the fridge can pretty much run on dual solar + tug power, as we tow, in good weather, not in the winter.....

That is my preference.

Whenever the stock dual 6v need to be replaced i'll look seriously at dual 6V AGM at that time.

cheers,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hello John,

A LifeLine 12v 27T is 20hr rated at 100 AH.
(2) Lifeline 6v 4CT costs $548 delivering 220AH at the Costa Mesa CA dealer I went to today. This is pick up cost.

Today, I bought (2) LifeLine 6v 6CT both for $690 producing 300 AH. I will have these 2 installed some time next week. After its all working, I expect to add (2) LineLine 6v 6CT for a total of 520 AH.

Deka brand is well regarded and sold by Wallmart/Sams. A lot less $ and has good reputation.

As you might know, I now have the classic 21ft. The initial (2) 300AH batteries are going in next week, one under the sink cabinet between the two wheel wells and the other underneath the refrigerator, almost between the wheel wells. When I add two more 6 volts units I can still add one under sink cabinet and other under closet. Alternatively, both smaller 6v units ( 4CT ) under dinette seat on street side as close to the wheel well as possible. Unless you open the cabinet doors you will not know the house batteries are there.

I am with you, zero maintenance, no corrosive fumes and minimal discharge rate when stored unlike wet cells that requires trickle charge. Problem is their initial cost but tempered by their much longer life, they could be cheaper in the long run.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #40

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
We decided to put the cash towards a second roof solar panel, installed by ETI.... ans having 2, in good sun, means the fridge can pretty much run on dual solar + tug power, as we tow, in good weather, not in the winter.....
John,

Good choices, solar setup weighs way less than bigger battery.