Solar 160 w? vs Dual 6V Lifeline AGM batteries? why is the solar costly? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
How much is the second solar panel installed by ETI?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
How much is the second solar panel installed by ETI?
same as the 1st panel, as they have to reinforce the ceiling, during initial part of build, to be strong enough for the 2nd panel there.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #43

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
same as the 1st panel, as they have to reinforce the ceiling, during initial part of build, to be strong enough for the 2nd panel there.
Hi John, are you saying the standard one panel ETI install on rear of 21 needs factory ceiling bracing during build ? I see members adding panels after the build, some in the center ?

I am toying with the idea of adding one on the trailer's rear roof area myself, not sure yet but giving it serious consideration. I understand ETI now bolts the foot brackets to the shell. I read here of a kit for to bolt it on. Double tape with pool of sealant like AM Solar does looks like less work but being old fashion I will seriously consider bolting.

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi John, are you saying the standard one panel ETI install on rear of 21 needs factory ceiling bracing during build ? I see members adding panels after the build, some in the center ?

I am toying with the idea of adding one on the trailer's rear roof area myself, not sure yet but giving it serious consideration. I understand ETI now bolts the foot brackets to the shell. I read here of a kit for to bolt it on. Double tape with pool of sealant like AM Solar does looks like less work but being old fashion I will seriously consider bolting.

Thanks for the information.

I don't have any info about the stock 1st panel - sorry.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

John.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
After a few panels blew off Escape as to reduce risk and liability sent kits via courier with signature required for a retrofit to existing panels. Some who installed these kits by drilling holes into the shell had issues including sagging headliner and condensation drip at the end of the bolts. At some point in the last year or so they began bolting through during production, thus eliminating the headliner problem.

Have decided not to drill holes for brackets on our 21 and inspect the panel mounts frequently. If I were installing a roof panel afterwards I would use the method Klem used for his panel and wonder why ETI didn't adopt his method.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Santiago, they do add reinforcing to the interior of the shell for the factory install and now bolt through after panels separated.on the early models. We were originally going to only get solar prewire until they changed to bolt through and then we added the factory panel. Figured at a minimum I'd have the permanently mounted and braced feet to change to any type of panel later if desired.
The problem with getting the bolt through the shell post build is the headliner. It has to be perforated to get braces, fender washers and nuts behind it.
AM solar has a perfect track record of dong the solar installs with the VHB tape and sealant. After build that is where I'd go to add panels.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have decided not to drill holes for brackets on our 21 and inspect the panel mounts frequently.
Did the same thing Ross. I have the brackets that ETI sent, but don't want to install them. Our panel is solid as a rock, and I've checked it both before and during several trips with no issues.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #48

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Thanks Ross and Greg.
Ross I see your point on condensation drips, can you say Scamp rivets ?

On a bolt on, it looks to me that the ceiling lining gets scalpeled allowing flat metal reinforcement to spread square inches over the inside of shell to avoid stressing shell. After nut is tightened and lining is glued/taped back it should be good to go. Thank God it looks like the four interior attachments are inside the overhead cabinet out of view. This is how I envision bolting this on. Will look at what Klem did to learn more.

Greg, I saw your AM Solar install and it looks great. As mentioned not one fallen off yet. This looks like the best way to go and as Ross mentioned, keep and eye on the four attachments for sign of loosening but with the sealant they apply I doubt that will happen.

Thank you both for the info.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
After a few panels blew off Escape as to reduce risk and liability sent kits
I don't recall "a few". I recall one. Maybe two, but I don't think so.
If two, the replacement was installed by the owner because he didn't want to follow Escape's recommendation to take it to a shop to have the work done properly.
Escape sent out kits for those who had the panels, but not because there were actual issues, only because there were potential issues. They provided the kit and also paid to have the work done. When some found the amount ETI was paying wasn't sufficient where they lived, they doubled it.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There were a couple of issues back then. The smaller 95 watt panels were in the middle and my sealant did not loosen until almost 2 years. I installed the kit (which was mailed, not registered) and my plugs in the headliner were covered with matching covers, the brackets were bolted and sealed with Proflex. Took maybe 1 hour with an assistant inside holding the nut inside while I tightened it down from the top. With the larger 160 watt panels, Escape moved the install to the rear and there are standard reinforcement points and there have been no issues. I believe if you want a second panel, they do have to attach additional interior reinforcement during the build. The location is model dependent.

Found the original thread here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-off-5742.html
somewhere around September, 2014 in the thread is where I talk about my fix.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #51

Klem's post at #221: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...f-5742-23.html

I like his idea that distributes the load across an area much greater than what Escape used prior to bolting through the shell as they started doing mid-2015.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't recall "a few". I recall one. Maybe two, but I don't think so.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...f-5742-15.html See #146 email from Escape.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ross,

You are right. I mixed up part of the solar fix with frame recall.
Ignore.

baglo