Solar Connectors Failed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Each of my two booked solar panels have two wires (+ & -) coming out which I soldered together, creating two from four. Did not want to use m4 connectors. The splicing connection needed to be shielded and protected so I encased the connection using the blue flexible plastic tubing. I employed spade connectors to connect the circuit through my 30 feet extension wire to the solar controller when I set up my remote panels.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Each of my two booked solar panels have two wires (+ & -) coming out which I soldered together, creating two from four. Did not want to use m4 connectors. The splicing connection needed to be shielded and protected so I encased the connection using the blue flexible plastic tubing. I employed spade connectors to connect the circuit through my 30 feet extension wire to the solar controller when I set up my remote panels.
Thanks Myron.
So it's a pair of permanent Y-connections under the tube.

It would be easier in MC4 connectors, but of course that doesn't work if you don't trust them!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yes, had bought the mc4's but then got confused doing required multiple male/female connections, (alien stuff) had a brain freeze, finally gave up, resorted to using spades. Couldn't wait for a thaw. When you want the connection immediately, you want the..... etc. etc.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Did the JBWeld temporary repair on both connectors and let it cure overnight and then zip tied the connectors in an X pattern to the base of the foot. The connectors don't even move now when you shake them, and it appears I've got juice coming back in from the panels. I'd highly recommend anyone with panels make sure the connectors are firmly zip tied to the foot and not the cables as mine were. 10 min fix that can save a fail in the field.
Off to Scamp Camp SW tomorrow and then I'll do the permanent repair when I get back and get with ETI.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Did the JBWeld temporary repair on both connectors and let it cure overnight and then zip tied the connectors
Must be nice to have the trailer in a climate where you work on it at this time of year. I want to go in mine and test fit the new tv wall mount but the winter cover zippers are frozen solid.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Must be nice to have the trailer in a climate where you work on it at this time of year. I want to go in mine and test fit the new tv wall mount but the winter cover zippers are frozen solid.

Ron
I hear you. The cold has set in, with not much of a reprieve for a couple weeks anyway. -20°C (-4°F for those to the south) for a high today.

But, it will be warm at the end of January and into February while I work on my 5.0, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:16 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I hear you. The cold has set in, with not much of a reprieve for a couple weeks anyway. -20°C (-4°F for those to the south) for a high today.

But, it will be warm at the end of January and into February while I work on my 5.0, right?
It's not that cold here, -4*C but here in la-la land we whine if it ever goes below freezing in Winter.

Definitely warmer in Jan. and Feb. for me in Baja and Quartsite.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:27 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I hear you. The cold has set in, with not much of a reprieve for a couple weeks anyway.
Yeah, yesterday it got all the way down to 50.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Do you have any recommendations for someone wanting to store a trailer down that way in covered storage. My wife and I are looking to become snowbirds and are trying to figure out where to store our trailer in the summer so we can travel in the winter. How hot does it get there in San Antonio in the summer? Fifty degrees is a cool summer day here in Alaska. Anything above 80 degrees and people start dropping like flies.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Whoa, I bet you got the thermal underwear out, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
How hot does it get there in San Antonio in the summer? Fifty degrees is a cool summer day here in Alaska. Anything above 80 degrees and people start dropping like flies.
Our winter starts in November when it gets below 80. The first day in Nov. this year was 78. It's deep into winter here now and it's 57 but it won't last long - the forecast is for 76 Monday. You get used to it.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Our winter starts in November when it gets below 80. The first day in Nov. this year was 78. It's deep into winter here now and it's 57 but it won't last long - the forecast is for 76 Monday. You get used to it.
San Antonio can be colder than Baytown in the winter (possibly below freezing). The summer can easily be over 100 deg F. In Austin I saw 112 F a few years ago.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Do you have any recommendations for someone wanting to store a trailer down that way in covered storage. My wife and I are looking to become snowbirds and are trying to figure out where to store our trailer in the summer so we can travel in the winter. How hot does it get there in San Antonio in the summer? Fifty degrees is a cool summer day here in Alaska. Anything above 80 degrees and people start dropping like flies.
There are a few covered storage areas in Bexar County, Pioneer on Potranco Road (the one we use) being one of them. But, the covered storage will cost you at least $85-95 a month. Well worth it for me, since the damage from the sun on unprotected trailers is pretty obvious.

As for the temperatures here, winter averages highs in the 50s and 60s, with the occasional cold snap. Freezing is pretty rare, and there's not really any need to winterize your trailer. Summer is a typical South Texas heat, with highs in the upper 90s, lows in the mid 70s, pretty good amount of humidity, and the occasional heat wave where temps top 100.

The heat however does have its benefits. Keeps the riff raff out.... Lol
Old 12-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #34

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Just a heads up. Most solar panel companies void warranty for panels with mc4's cut off.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
That is terrible! How do you keep the snow from melting on the ski hills and cross-country trails? Must make for a very short ski season. Meanwhile, here in the deep freeze it was about -24°C (-11°F) when I drove into work this morning. I was quite happy that the temperature was not nearly as brisk as in Ft McMurray (-35°C/-31°F), which is a few hours drive north of us.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
That is terrible! How do you keep the snow from melting on the ski hills and cross-country trails? Must make for a very short ski season. Meanwhile, here in the deep freeze it was about -24°C (-11°F) when I drove into work this morning. I was quite happy that the temperature was not nearly as brisk as in Ft McMurray (-35°C/-31°F), which is a few hours drive north of us.
I seriously feel for sorry for those that do not get to enjoy a full four season year. Each season provides its own glorious benefits. Getting melted year round is not my idea of fun. Besides, like you point out, skiing and other winter sports are hordes of fun. I much prefer it to hiking myself.

Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy warm weather, but that hot stuff is only good for beaches with a cocktail in hand.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
At those temperatures do you plug in the FJ at night? I had a 2012 FJ which I traded for my 2016 Mustang, it was a nice tow vehicle for the 19 but a little small for the 21 Escape.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #38

I always helps to plug in the block heater. Not only does it start easier and warm up quicker, it is easier on the engine too. That said, I often forget to do it. One really needs a timer on it so it only runs for 30 minutes or so.

Currently -25°C here right now, and I went out to plug in my truck an hour or so ago.

I love the diesel engine heaters. You can even get them for pickups too. You set a timer and it fires up a coolant heater that also circulates through your cooling system, even through the interior heater coil. Instant warm when you fire it up. The controls have a timer built into them. Hmmm.... I wonder if they have developed a gasoline one yet? Though, they sure used to be quite pricey.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Dave,
At those temperatures do you plug in the FJ at night? I had a 2012 FJ which I traded for my 2016 Mustang, it was a nice tow vehicle for the 19 but a little small for the 21 Escape.
Although I do have a block heater on the FJ, I cannot recall plugging it in more than once or twice since I bought it in 2011. When I know that the temperatures are likely to drop to -30°C or lower, I do tend to plug it in. At current -20°C to -25°C, I have no issues starting it. I did purchase a remote starter back in 2011 that has certainly paid for itself many times over since then. I will typically start the FJ from my bedroom after getting out of the shower, and it will be somewhat warmed up by the time I leave the house a few minutes later. Now, if I could talk my wife into sharing our two car garage, I would not need to use the remote or plug in!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Now, if I could talk my wife into sharing our two car garage, I would not need to use the remote or plug in!
You could clean out the other side for your use!

*says the guy with an oversized double attached garage jamb packed with his stuff*

Hmmm. Maybe I should get the wife a remote starter. I have them OEM on both my trucks........ very nice.