Solar considerations on a 21; Where to locate Batteries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Maybe Reese couldn't' put 4 on the curb side because of space restrictions not weight. With the heater moved……..Maybe.
I believe that the 21' furnace is (or was) on the street side, not the curb side. As I recall, the curb side has the power centre (converter, breaker panel, fuse panel)... which could be a space restriction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Depends on whether you have a U-shape dinette. Ours is on the back bench towards the driver's side.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Help with solar question. What does the stock Escape solar panel wiring look like underneath the panel? Is there a connection between the panel and the wire into the trailer than can be opened? I'm wanting to add another panel and need a joint where I can use the mc4 "Y" connector to connect the new panel and then push the joint back under neath the original 95 watt panel on the roof?
Jim the panels have a box attached to the back and then a pair of wires exit that box and are generally 4' to 6' long and have permanently attached MC4 connectors on them. From those you connect to what you want. To add a panel to your trailer where you already have MC4 connectors at the point where the trailer wires connect to the panel wires, you will add the MC4 "Y" connectors and then connect the second panel there. If the panel wires are too short from the second panel you can purchase short MC4 wire sets to bridge the distance.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So, do I have to remove the stock panel or just pull the wires out and look for the connection? Thanks for your help.It appears to be some wire coiled up underneath and then zip tied to panel. But I can not see as the space is limited underneath.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Yes Lithium power to weight ratio is outstanding. AM solar told me 3-4 times the cost per amp hr up front, But predicted life span is 3-4 time longer. But I can't find any real world stories to back up these claims of life expectancy. Maybe because they have been around for very long. With good battery management one can get 7-10 years from a lead/acid battery. Still, very expensive to save some weight.
Here is a post by Chris & Cherie of Technomadia (currently traveling in a converted bus, but previous owners of a T@b & an Oliver) on their experiences over 3 years with a Lithium battery bank.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, do I have to remove the stock panel or just pull the wires out and look for the connection? Thanks for your help.It appears to be some wire coiled up underneath and then zip tied to panel. But I can not see as the space is limited underneath.
Just cut the zip ties and pull the wires out. You will see the connectors.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #27

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Just how restricted is the access to the batteries under the dinette? Once in place Wouldn't I only need to add water on occasion ?
perhaps ask Reace to prewire for a second panel..

Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Fascinating read Jon. Thanks much.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Here is a post by Chris & Cherie of Technomadia (currently traveling in a converted bus, but previous owners of a T@b & an Oliver) on their experiences over 3 years with a Lithium battery bank.
Very informative. Thank you
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The most significant point I get from this report - aside from the obvious importance of temperature (which wasn't so obvious to them) - is that a lithium battery should be one bank of whatever cell size you need to get the capacity you need without any parallel connection. To match the performance of a lead-acid 230 amp-hour 12 volt (nominal) set - such as the Escape dual 6V option - that would be four cells of about 150 amp-hour capacity (using their 5:8 capacity ratio), connected in series with each cell separately monitored and managed.

AM Solar doesn't have 150 Ah cells - it seems they only have 100 Ah - so if you go with them you go bigger and have paralleled cells (with potential balance issues) with their 200 Ah system for US$1900, or settle for less capacity with their 100 Ah system for US$1200.

To match a setup of four 6V batteries, it would take a 300 Ah system (with even more balance issues), for US$2600.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I am trying to contact hotfishtacos. I am a new member and cannot contact members till I become trusted (at least that's what it says when i try to contact through the forum) I would like to see some of your pictures (previously posted but not there now) concerning your solar panels. We are purchasing a 19 and am looking at solar.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Holy cow, does my being able to send a PM mean I'm trusted.

Sent one to Steve relaying your request.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Holy cow, does my being able to send a PM mean I'm trusted.

Sent one to Steve relaying your request.

Ron
Yes Ron, you're trusted There is certain background stuff in place to keep scammers from joining the forum and spamming all of us.

I think we can trust you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes Ron, you're trusted There is certain background stuff in place to keep scammers from joining the forum and spamming all of us.

I think we can trust you
Whew, what a relief, sometimes some folks are curious about my curiosity. Oh, by the way Jim, happy international coffee day.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote