Solar Panel Mounting - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 01:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Looks really good, as I wrote I do prefer the flexible panels I just wonder how much power you can get this way.
I was able to put 3 60 watt panels for total 180 . We have a 19 . They clean up so easy too which is great just hose off . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I was able to put 3 60 watt panels for total 180 . We have a 19 . They clean up so easy too which is great just hose off . Pat
Talk about cleaning, I got up to check something on the roof and noticed how dirty the panels are looking after only a couple of month and just over 2000 miles, I wonder how much solar power is lost, if any.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:40 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Talk about cleaning, I got up to check something on the roof and noticed how dirty the panels are looking after only a couple of month and just over 2000 miles, I wonder how much solar power is lost, if any.
More than being dirty, I think having the ability to EASILY tilt the panels will be of the most benefit. I think mounting some panels on the roof is great and the simplest way to go weather you go with flexible panels or rigid. I just don’t like being simple when you can make something to occupy yourself with fiddling.

Actually I think this thread started talking about mounting panels and I guess I would follow AM Solars method of mounting with VHB tape and sealer since they have NEVER had a failure. To each their own. Heck if we all liked the same thing Escape would only have to build one trailer with no options. Just my 2 cents worth.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
... I wasn't thinking 18v panels.
Panels for "12 volt" systems produce their peak power when at about 18 volts, so when Jim refers to an "18 volt" panel he's talking about the same thing you might call "12 volt". The actual operating voltage of the panel at any moment depends on what it is connected to, including the battery voltage and controller type. For instance, with a basic PWM controller the panel voltage will simply be the battery voltage (plus line loss due to resistance) until the regulator cuts output for the absorption phase, so it could go from under 12 V to over 14 V while tracking the battery voltage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I did a solar install two years ago on my 15B with three flexible panels and tape. So far has performed flawlessly.
Hadn't thought of putting narrow panels in the channel areas on the roof - good idea, Dave!

Now let's see - how many more watts can I add?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #46

Quote:
Looks really good, as I wrote I do prefer the flexible panels I just wonder how much power you can get this way.
I have four 50 watt panels on my roof and they keep the batteries well charged.

On our trip to Quartzite this year, I learned something interesting. Fred Moron and I parked our trailers close to each other on snob hill. He has the GoPower solar panel and I have the Lensun flexible ones. When the sun was high in the sky, both our panels put out max voltage but during periods that the sun was not vertical, my panels put out more voltage than his.

It seems that the diamond pattern on my panels collect the sunlight at wider angles than the smooth glass panel of the GoPower. The pattern on the Lensun panels act like little prisms to refract the light into the solar cells. Granted, if Fred could have tilted his panels to match the sun - he would have put out more with his panel than mine.

But for a permanently mounted panel, the flexible panels do a good job at catching the sun for a longer period of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
lensun.jpg  
Old 08-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #47

Quote:
I can’t really answer your question . The panels just seem to be always working . I just give them a spray down when washing the trailer . I can check inside trailer with Victron battery monitor or app on my I-pad . The batteries are going to be 6 yr old in Nov but still keep charging even at Quartsite where we had to use the heater a lot . I need more understanding about solar system but I know it works . Pat
Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I have four 50 watt panels on my roof and they keep the batteries well charged.

On our trip to Quartzite this year, I learned something interesting. Fred Moron and I parked our trailers close to each other on snob hill. He has the GoPower solar panel and I have the Lensun flexible ones. When the sun was high in the sky, both our panels put out max voltage but during periods that the sun was not vertical, my panels put out more voltage than his.

It seems that the diamond pattern on my panels collect the sunlight at wider angles than the smooth glass panel of the GoPower. The pattern on the Lensun panels act like little prisms to refract the light into the solar cells. Granted, if Fred could have tilted his panels to match the sun - he would have put out more with his panel than mine.

But for a permanently mounted panel, the flexible panels do a good job at catching the sun for a longer period of the day.
Tom I didn’t know you were at Quartsite! Hopefully I get to meet you and you can personally check out my valve replacements !Pat
Old 08-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I would follow AM Solars method of mounting with VHB tape and sealer since they have NEVER had a failure.

I'm wondering how we know this for a truth?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #50

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Panels for "12 volt" systems produce their peak power when at about 18 volts, so when Jim refers to an "18 volt" panel he's talking about the same thing you might call "12 volt". The actual operating voltage of the panel at any moment depends on what it is connected to, including the battery voltage and controller type. For instance, with a basic PWM controller the panel voltage will simply be the battery voltage (plus line loss due to resistance) until the regulator cuts output for the absorption phase, so it could go from under 12 V to over 14 V while tracking the battery voltage.
Thanks Brian I spent the morning looking at the Lensun site. Yes, they're all rated 12v but produce higher. Looks like a good product. Pricey but you get what you pay for. I'm wondering if the panel non-reflective surface is a result of the ETFE film or Lensun manufacturing process. Also, the PERC solar cells appear to have close to the same efficiency as the Sunpower cells. Learn a little bit every time I read the forum.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #51

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm wondering how we know this for a truth?
Cause it says so on the internet.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Tom I didn’t know you were at Quartsite! Hopefully I get to meet you and you can personally check out my valve replacements !Pat
Sorry I missed you too!

Unie and I will be at Pineknot this year to hear Karl from Escape and will be at Quartzite again next year. Maybe we will cross paths again.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Sorry I missed you too!

Unie and I will be at Pineknot this year to hear Karl from Escape and will be at Quartzite again next year. Maybe we will cross paths again.
Looking forward to meeting you Tom ! What is so neat I think we do and think a lot alike !
I just need to learn and don’t have all your knowledge and expertise Pat
Old 08-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:

Based on the performance of the system on our home, when I clean panels after 1-1½ months, output increases over well 10% typically. When dirty, the panel on our Escape has a similar appearance to the ones on our roof, so my very subjective conclusion is:

10% / month.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
You were at the Quartzsite rally? I never knew that, nor did I get to meet you. I wasn't hiding either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You were at the Quartzsite rally? I never knew that, nor did I get to meet you. I wasn't hiding either.
Jim I wasn’t hiding . I arrived later and took a spot close to Greg below . I was at all the activities. I also took some walks up on snob hill . Besides Greg met Ron and Myron , two nice fellows . Visited Currin up on the hill and he came to see our trailer and the bath fan I had installed . Sorry I missed you . Pat
Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #57

Quote:
Jim I wasn’t hiding . I arrived later and took a spot close to Greg below . I was at all the activities. I also took some walks up on snob hill . Besides Greg met Ron and Myron , two nice fellows . Visited Currin up on the hill and he came to see our trailer and the bath fan I had installed . Sorry I missed you . Pat
Oh yeah, I met up with those 3 crazy fellows there too, but had already seen them previously and gladly one more time. I also met up with many other Escape owners too, though most of those I had met previously as well. I do always enjoy meeting others, though rallies have so many folks at them it is tough to spend lots of time with all of them. I think I am better recognized for Jasper being part of our group than I am myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is how I recognized you the first time at Osoyoos, it was Jasper.....
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is how I recognized you the first time at Osoyoos, it was Jasper.....
Yes, folks do recognize the better looking one first.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #60

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
mine was attached with only epoxy (factory 2012) and blew off. Now 8 - 1/4" stainless steel bolts and a tube of 3M 5200 says she ain't parting the top any time soon. BTW- ETI stood behind the faulty install and replaced the panel but who even knows where the old one landed. Somewhere in Maryland, I think.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote