Solar Panel Pictures? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #41

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We just spent the weekend in Banff with a less than ideal solar spot and were able to use our 3000 watt inverter several times and were always back to 100 % battery before noon. Wife was able to use hair dryer which I believe draws around 1000 watts and it worked well. Its a shame more people don't get some solar as it would make the campgrounds much more peaceful
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #42

Trailer: none
What size inverter does Escape include in their solar package?
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape
The inverter is not included with the solar package and is an option.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Jon, tell us how the 1000 w inverter works and where you mounted it to conveniently make drip coffee.
I've got the Escape solar system with two "group 27" 12 volt batteries.
Pictures??
So...if each of my batteries are rated at 100 amp hours does that mean I have 200 amp hours of 12V power?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #45

If you are referring to two 6 volt batteries wired in series (= 12 volts):
With batteries wired in series, the Voltage increases but the Amperage remains the same.
  • Example: If you take two 6 Volt batteries that have a capacity rating of 220 Amp Hours each and you wire them in series, you will get a total of 12 Volts of power; however, the total Amp Hours will remain the same at a total of 220 Amp Hours.
If you are referring to tow 12 volt batteries wired parallel:
With batteries wired in parallel, the Voltage remains the same but the amperage increases.
  • Example: If you take two 12 Volt batteries that have a capacity of 210 Amp Hours each and you wire them in parallel, the Voltage will remain the same at 12 Volts; however, the total Amp Hours will increase to 420 Amp Hours.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Jon, tell us how the 1000 w inverter works and where you mounted it to conveniently make drip coffee.
I've got the Escape solar system with two "group 27" 12 volt batteries.
Pictures??
I put the inverter in the driver's side rear under seat storage area, along with a Progressive EMS-HW30C Surge Protector. Photos of the installation are on my trailer modification page. As noted, I added a separate receptacle for the inverter, however Xantrex offers n inexpensive 20 amp transfer switch that could be used to connect it to an existing receptacle.

Actually, the two 12V batteries will do a better job of feeding an inverter than the pair of 6V, however they won't last as long. Because the 12V batteries are designed to start a vehicle, they have a better short term, high current output. The advantage of the 6V is more amp/hrs, and better deep cycling characteristics.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogawill View Post
Karen we recently brought home Molly our 15 A and of course love her. She replaced a T@B trailer that we spent many months meandering around the southwest and Baja in using a portable solar panel for our power plant. Molly has two panels mounted on her roof and to our eye they are beautiful. We went with double coverage because our grandchildren are in Bellingham and we plan on spending more time than we would otherwise enjoy under a solar impoverished sky. People who still question the beauty and magic of solar , I think, have not yet found the true freedom of the road. Many people have accepted the undeniable ugliness of an airconditioner on the roof why not a sleek solar panel or two.

Bill H
I believe that few perspective solar uses take into account solar insolation. We primarily camp in the Great Lakes region with cloudy days and shaded campsites. Here is the solar inslolation map for our area.
Great Lakes Solar Insolation Map by 3TIER, Inc
We will have two solar panels installed on the Escape 19.
Below the map you can select a solar insolation map for your area.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #48

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Thanks Jon and Jubal.
Sometime I feel like my "learning curve" is/has "flat lined" and your two explanations helped.

BTW guys, are you using your surge protectors only for your AC usage? It would seem that solar power takes care of everything else.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote