Solar Panel Sizes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
Almost every larger city will have a wholesale metal distributor like russel steel or drummond mcall etc, you shud be ablecto buy there.
ken
I build a huge variety of "stuff". Although I have a lot of scrap and leftovers I always seem to need the one size that I don't have. For years it was annoying to have to deal with large outfits and their minimum purchases. Love metal supermarket. They'll cut what you need and their prices are reasonable.

Back to the solar cell support, I've also considered using channel, on it's side, to make a "roof rack" that would allow the panels to slide in and out. On the other hand, ones that can at least be inclined has an appeal also.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
Almost every larger city will have a wholesale metal distributor like russel steel or drummond mcall etc, you shud be ablecto buy there.
ken
If you can buy small quantities from a supplier, and they are open when you are not at work, and they sell in small quantities, then you're set. I think people list sources which are practical for them, and industrial suppliers (of any type of material, from steel stock, to nuts and bolts, to electrical and plumbing parts) are often impractical sources for most people.

In the specific case of Russell Metals, I contacted one of their locations today with this question:
Quote:
What hours are you open for retail sales?
... and this was the response:
Quote:
We are open from 8.00 to 4.30 but if you are picking up an order you need to here by 3.00pm. We also have a $500.00 minimum order charge
I then asked about weekends, and was informed that they are open Monday to Friday only. The hours are awkward at best for many people, but the minimum order makes it irrelevant anyway for just about anything but the steel for a complete new trailer frame. Now I know why I have not used them before...

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For years it was annoying to have to deal with large outfits and their minimum purchases. Love metal supermarket. They'll cut what you need and their prices are reasonable.
Metal Supermarkets - no minimum, and open Saturday (at least my closest location)... now that's a useful supplier.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote