Solar power in the wintertime - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Anybody know where a tilting, lazy susan type solar panel bracket that roof mounts, can be purchased? That would seem to be the ticket.
Exactly what I'm looking for, hope we find it. I've seen large ones built by metal fabricators but we need something light, designed for RVs.

Maybe Australia? Ebay?

Mel

Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
When power is scarce a lot changes. Summer, no big deal but charging and conserving takes over the rest of the year. I'm new to all this but have used a 50w panel for years to recharge. I upgraded to a Solarland 90w folding rig with a 40' cable to speed up the recharging process. So far so good. Might add a second one for 180w. I totally agree that a portable panel system beats a fixed one. Shaded campsites are a good thing in our household!

On the conserving side, we're all led and batteries stay up all day. My el-cheapo inverter recharges phones and the laptop. Can somebody tell me the difference though between a 200w $100 inverter and a 200w $2000 inverter? Pure sine What's that? Are all amps not created equal or what?

Greg

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Exactly what I'm looking for, hope we find it. I've seen large ones built by metal fabricators but we need something light, designed for RVs.

Maybe Australia? Ebay?

Mel
You don't need a rotating mount to be able to angle a panel up up in any direction. I'm going to modify one of my mounts to accomplish this with just two horizontal, adjustable brackets. I'll show pics when completed...one project at a time..
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
You don't need a rotating mount to be able to angle a panel up up in any direction. I'm going to modify one of my mounts to accomplish this with just two horizontal, adjustable brackets. I'll show pics when completed...one project at a time..
I'm looking foreword to seeing/hearing the results. I've scoured googled many times (with no luck) looking to find a tilting, rotating, mount that could be retro-fitted to the ETI installed solar panel roof mount.
Maybe one of the forum members has a good idea. So far I've balanced my portable panel on a 'lazy susan' with good results but I'd like to complement my portable system with my roof top system.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
How about pressing a button on the remote and it rises up to the correct angle and follows the sun? Yea! Too windy? it knows to go back down ...

Looking forward to seeing your work Will you 'Peter Pan' up there or need a ladder?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
How about pressing a button on the remote and it rises up to the correct angle and follows the sun? Yea! Too windy? it knows to go back down ...
Wouldn't a nice little motorized, microchip controlled device to tracked the sun like that be sweet? Any computer engineers on the forum to design that for you?

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Anybody know where a tilting, lazy susan type solar panel bracket that roof mounts, can be purchased? That would seem to be the ticket.
I asked this in the following thread, post #21. Don't know of any that are out there.

12v / 120v Inverter Problem
Old 11-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #18

Imaging stacking two of these (minus the panel) on top of each other in X and Y configuration then installing the panel on top. Then make a few pre-cut extension pieces to tilt the panels up on both axis. You can tilt the panel up in any direction to any reasonable angle...be Peter Pan to get there!

Old 11-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Imaging stacking two of these (minus the panel) on top of each other in X and Y configuration then installing the panel on top. Then make a few pre-cut extension pieces to tilt the panels up on both axis. You can tilt the panel up in any direction to any reasonable angle...be Peter Pan to get there!

You make, I'll buy it Steve...but it needs a swivel and locking mechanism....lol
Old 11-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You make, I'll buy it Steve...but it needs a swivel and locking mechanism....lol
Don't laugh! I used to have a really big automated telescope that would track to any item in the sky by voice command...now where is that software??...hmmm