Solar Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17
Cool Solar Question

We are having 170w solar with charge converter , installed in our new 17 b Escape that we pick up in May.
The question is, do I need anything else to go with it?
I know little about solar and want to make sure that I'm not forgetting something .
Further if there is anything anyone wants to add to educate me on solar ,I'm all ears.
Thank you all in advance.
Rick
P.S WHAT ARE TAGS FOR ??
camppros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19'
If you are getting the ETI solar option installed, you don't need anything else to go with it. It will just work.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
You don't need anything else for the solar to work. At it's most basic level, your solar system works like this - the panel collects sunlight and converts it to electricity via a photovoltaic action, sends it to the solar controller, and the solar controller then charges the batteries. In full sun in the summer months it works extremely well, but in winter months where the angle of the sun is lower, or when the panel is shaded, the output is substantially reduced. Still works though even then.

As for Tags, they are a feature that allows you to organize information on a more granular level. They're basically keywords added to discussions, and then the keywords help pull together similar discussions. This gives you another way to look for information.

Tags can be added by the thread starter and can be useful for filtering topics. Tags are not widely used on this forum and that is a bit unfortunate because they can be very useful.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My ETI supplied basic solar has been working great for me for the past 5 years with no issues or modifications done to it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Here are a couple of interesting articles that might help (there may be newer articles).:
https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-solar-pa...-need-to-know/
https://roadslesstraveled.us/rv-solar/
https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/off...rv-solar-works

We opted to have the solar tapped into all our receptacles. That way, when using solar, we can plug in appliances/etc. into any outlet. Otherwise, ETI will hook the solar up to whichever receptacle you wish ... but you can only use that receptacle when going off-grid.

We've had solar on both our last trailer and for ten years on our houseboat and, I have to say, solar is THE way to go. (Thinking about it for the house .... ). Just remember that when you're off-grid and using solar, you don't get a one-for-one recharge. In other words, if you use your solar for eight hours, it takes more than eight hours to recharge ... especially if you're continuing to draw power from the batteries or if sunlight is at a minimum. (https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...olar-info.html).

But most importantly, enjoy your new trailer AND its solar setup!!!

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I am “assuming”’that the solar package on a new unit has dual 6 volt batteries? ETI has done two solar retrofits for us. I like their work. Last summer I drove 1,900 miles to Chilliwack to get the solar put on our new to us 21. Took 5 hours. Then back to Iowa. Throw in a three week western vacation including my first time to the North Cascades. They upgraded three things on the Escape while I was there. No charge.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I am “assuming”’that the solar package on a new unit has dual 6 volt batteries?
Most people who get solar probably get the dual 6-volt batteries, and this trailer might have them, but from the ETI website description there is no indication that the solar package includes or requires the dual 6-volt batteries:
Quote:
170W Solar Panel with Charge Controller
The inverter option does state the dual 6-volt requirement explicitly, so I think if they required it they would state it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Here are a couple of interesting articles that might help (there may be newer articles).:
https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-solar-pa...-need-to-know/
https://roadslesstraveled.us/rv-solar/
https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/off...rv-solar-works

We opted to have the solar tapped into all our receptacles. That way, when using solar, we can plug in appliances/etc. into any outlet. Otherwise, ETI will hook the solar up to whichever receptacle you wish ... but you can only use that receptacle when going off-grid.

We've had solar on both our last trailer and for ten years on our houseboat and, I have to say, solar is THE way to go. (Thinking about it for the house .... ). Just remember that when you're off-grid and using solar, you don't get a one-for-one recharge. In other words, if you use your solar for eight hours, it takes more than eight hours to recharge ... especially if you're continuing to draw power from the batteries or if sunlight is at a minimum. (https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...olar-info.html).

Just to clarify, the solar does not tap into the outlets. It only charges the batteries. From there the inverter converts it to 120V AC, and either feeds one outlet, or all of them through a transfer switch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I found the above quote to be puzzling. It would be more accurate if you replaced the word "solar" with "inverter". The inverter will power your 110v appliances and can be wired by ETI to meet your requirements.

Quote:
We've had solar on both our last trailer and for ten years on our houseboat and, I have to say, solar is THE way to go. (Thinking about it for the house .... ). Just remember that when you're off-grid and using solar, you don't get a one-for-one recharge. In other words, if you use your solar for eight hours, it takes more than eight hours to recharge ... especially if you're continuing to draw power from the batteries or if sunlight is at a minimum.
Again, the above quote could use a bit of clarification. If your batteries are being used to provide power then it takes more "juice" (handy term for Volts X Amps), to recharge them than you took out. This is true for the 110v converter (110v battery charger) and a bit more true for a solar charger. Rough rule of thumb: Take 100 watts out of the batteries, use 120 watts to recharge them. Keep in mind, as many have said, solar is fickle - winter sun, shade trees, clouds, dust on the panel, etc, will all conspire to make the recharge time longer than you would like.

Quote:
100% spot on!

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Just to clarify, the solar does not tap into the outlets. It only charges the batteries. From there the inverter converts it to 120V AC, and either feeds one outlet, or all of them through a transfer switch.
Glad you clarified Jim. It's impossible for DC power to be fed into AC outlets. It's used to charge the batteries only.

I guess what the OP is saying is that they opted for the 1500W Inverter with the transfer switch to all outlets instead of just the standard one outlet. Same setup we have.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Just remember that when you're off-grid and using solar, you don't get a one-for-one recharge. In other words, if you use your solar for eight hours, it takes more than eight hours to recharge ... especially if you're continuing to draw power from the batteries or if sunlight is at a minimum.
'use your solar for 8 hours' ? ? what does that even mean?

solar panels charge your batteries. the amount of time they will take to fully recharge your batteries depends on how discharged the batteries are, how much power you're using, and how sunny it is
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

solar panels charge your batteries. the amount of time they will take to fully recharge your batteries depends on how discharged the batteries are, how much power you're using, and how sunny it is
Doesn't make sense to me either. You're either on shore power or battery power. The solar is just a charging method.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I think the original poster was trying to make a good point - just expressed it in an odd way.

That point being that charging a battery - any battery be it cellphone, in your car, in your trailer, flashlight, etc - needs more power to complete the charge than you took out in the first place.

We all have read stories on this website from folks who are unpleasantly surprised by how slowly they recharge their trailer batteries in the winter with the "standard" setup. So its good advice to be prepared for a longer recharge time than you might expect.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Sorry, since the OP seemed unfamiliar with how the solar would work, I was trying to simplify the explanation. You are all correct ... the solar is the means for charging the batteries (usually deep-cycle, marine batteries or, in our case, golf cart batteries) and the inverter transfers the stored energy to the outlets (or outlet). "Using our solar" meant that everything on our houseboat (e.g., charging tablets, phones, running the stereo, etc.) was powered through our solar system rather than using the generator. (I can always dig out the technical specs given to me by our in-house electrical engineer who set up our solar system ... but that's probably overkill.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

You have to include the next phrase for it to make sense, “...if you use your solar for 8 hours, it takes more than 8 hours to recharge...”

So what I think is being said here is that if you use 8 hours worth of sunshine, you need to put something like 9.6 hours of sunshine back (using the 120% approximation rule), in order to maintain the sunshine balance of the universe. My question regarding this is whether the sun is subject to the “don’t discharge below 50% rule” for lead acid batteries, or is the sun more like the lithium type batteries that can go deeper? Also, does anyone know the recommended voltages for sun charging?
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
You have to include the next phrase for it to make sense, “...if you use your solar for 8 hours, it takes more than 8 hours to recharge...”

So what I think is being said here is that if you use 8 hours worth of sunshine, you need to put something like 9.6 hours of sunshine back (using the 120% approximation rule), in order to maintain the sunshine balance of the universe. My question regarding this is whether the sun is subject to the “don’t discharge below 50% rule” for lead acid batteries, or is the sun more like the lithium type batteries that can go deeper? Also, does anyone know the recommended voltages for sun charging?
And I thought it meant if you used 8 hours of 120V from the inverter, it takes longer than that for the solar to recharge the batteries. Basically, drawing more from the batteries than the charge rate. The actual amount drawn is very much dependant upon what you are using. A small 120V fan you might be able to run indefinitely, a circular saw not so much.

This is why I wanted to simplify the explanation to avoid confusion. With customers of mine who use all kinds of strange terms for things, in most cases I insist that they learn the proper terminology so that no confusion might exist, not just with me and them, but with subtrades and employees too. They usually appreciate my educating them on what we are talking about.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Is solar really necessary if I rarely boondock and always have a generator with me. Just curious if it’s really worth the additional cost. Thank you.
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Is solar really necessary if I rarely boondock and always have a generator with me. Just curious if it’s really worth the additional cost. Thank you.
With the 170w solar we won't need to carry a generator. We have friends who were talked into a 300w solar package AND a generator by their Airstream dealer. They never take their generator or gas can anymore and don't miss hooking up, turning it on or off during allowed hours, the noise, or the complaining neighbors.

I do understand that if you need air-conditioning you may want a decent sized generator.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I find that having solar is super convenient. I almost never plug my trailer in to AC power and seldom get sites with electricity. Biggest perk is that I (and my camping neighbors) do not have to live with the noise and smells from a generator running. Solar is also cheaper than buying a generator and providing longterm fueling and servicing.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #20

Quote:
If you rarely boondock, and do camp off the grid for only a few days at a time, solar is not necessary. Either is a generator, which nowdays is only needed for A/C if you need it.

Personally, I love the fact is is not necessary for us to hook to the grid, ever. This gives us way more freedom in where we camp, and a large percentage of the places we prefer are either boondocking or in campgrounds with no hooks-ups.

I don't camp down south in the summer so don't need a generator either. If by chance I really did need A/C I will look for a campground with connection to the grid.