Solar question - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 43
Solar question

Our 2017 19’ is prewired for solar. We are going to this year’s rally in Osoyoos and I am considering an appointment to have ETI install the rooftop solar. At purchase, I had ETI install a Zamp port, wired directly to the batteries to use my portable solar panel with its own controller. So far that’s worked fine, but just to make life easier and possibly ensure longer battery life, I am considering the fixed panel.

My question is, would I still be able to use my portable panel with controller, using the Zamp port wired directly to the batteries if I also have the rooftop unit? Or would I need to bypass the portable’s controller and wire the Zamp port into the rooftop’s contoller?

Fun fact: I had been using a 60w Renogy portable unit, but then at last year’s Escape rally, my doorprize was a new GoPower 100w portable! I know it is possible to combine my two existing portables, but I have read it is a bit of a hassle due to two different brands. I also like the idea of just using the rooftop most of the time and only bringing a portable when we anticipate too much shade.

Thanks to everyone for all I’ve learned on the forum! I was just a desk jockey my whole career. You craftsman, techie and engineer types are really impressive! Sad part is that I understand a bit less than half of some of the threads, but I try.
__________________

ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Member
 
EscapeBoulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Our 2017 19’ is prewired for solar. We are going to this year’s rally in Osoyoos and I am considering an appointment to have ETI install the rooftop solar. At purchase, I had ETI install a Zamp port, wired directly to the batteries to use my portable solar panel with its own controller. So far that’s worked fine, but just to make life easier and possibly ensure longer battery life, I am considering the fixed panel.

My question is, would I still be able to use my portable panel with controller, using the Zamp port wired directly to the batteries if I also have the rooftop unit? Or would I need to bypass the portable’s controller and wire the Zamp port into the rooftop’s contoller?

Fun fact: I had been using a 60w Renogy portable unit, but then at last year’s Escape rally, my doorprize was a new GoPower 100w portable! I know it is possible to combine my two existing portables, but I have read it is a bit of a hassle due to two different brands. I also like the idea of just using the rooftop most of the time and only bringing a portable when we anticipate too much shade.

Thanks to everyone for all I’ve learned on the forum! I was just a desk jockey my whole career. You craftsman, techie and engineer types are really impressive! Sad part is that I understand a bit less than half of some of the threads, but I try.
During our 19'er's build, my understanding is ETI wired our external, portable solar panel zamp port into the rooftop, fixed solar panel's controller. That being the case, you'd probably need to have the zamp port re-wired into the rooftop solar's controller too. While I have no idea if this is the case, you wouldn't want to different solar controllers "fighting" each other while trying to supply current to the battery.

BTW... The solar panels and controller are on the battery side of the 12v master switch, so even when the batteries are switched off from the trailer, they're still being charged by the rooftop panels.

My Victron battery monitor shows 13.67v steady state when the batteries are on the converter (in-house charger) and not under load. The monitor shows 13.91v when the batteries are disconnected from the trailer thru the master switch and just being charged from the solar panels. 'not sure if the 0.24v difference is important/significant or not.
__________________

__________________
... Greg
2018 Escape 19'er & 2018 Highlander
Not all who wander are lost
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
.... My question is, would I still be able to use my portable panel with controller, using the Zamp port wired directly to the batteries if I also have the rooftop unit? Or would I need to bypass the portable’s controller and wire the Zamp port into the rooftop’s contoller? ....
This question has been cussed and discussed previously on this forum, but I believe the take-home message was that any panel with its own controller can be wired directly to the battery with no problem, but every panel needs to connect through a controller to prevent damage from over-charging. Or something like that. The second option you mentioned (bypass portable's controller and wire the portable directly into the rooftop's controller) should also work fine because the one controller will prevent either panel from battery over-charge damage. I repeat - or something like that....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: alpharetta, Georgia
Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Posts: 296
ColoradoSwaney, I agree with you 100%, I really enjoy reading the forum and wish I lived right down the street from several of the forum members so I could hands on learn from them. I just don;t feel I have the skills and knowledge to do many of the things I read about.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
ColoradoSwaney, I agree with you 100%, I really enjoy reading the forum and wish I lived right down the street from several of the forum members so I could hands on learn from them. I just don;t feel I have the skills and knowledge to do many of the things I read about. Enjoy the journey, Steve
I wonder if camper modifications follow the 90/10 rule where 90% of the serious mods are being done by just 10% of the owners. We've owned our 21' for 2 years now, and the only mod we've done is add a second access door under the bathroom side of the bed. We bought the little door pre-fabbed from ETI, so all we needed to install it was a saw and a screwdriver, and I can handle that. Other than that one oversight that we should have included to our original build sheet, we're content camping in an ETI factory "stock" trailer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,250
See post 14 for Alan's write up.

This one was incorrect.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It is my belief that with 2 controllers... If the rooftops controller is outputting say 14.5vdc while charging and you go out and hookup the portable, the suitcases controller will see the 14.5vdc and conclude the batteries are charged and no output.
I've only once had my portable hooked up (directly to batteries) once last summer when had a few days in a shaded spot. With the rooftop constantly in shade I moved the portable around into the sun. The batteries came back to full very quickly. I only plan on taking the portable on future trips when know I'll be in a very shady spot. We bought the portable when we had our old 5.0 without solar and at that time hadn't planned on a newer trailer.
__________________
Adrian (and Beth)
We are all travellers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Robert Louis Stevenson
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I wonder if camper modifications follow the 90/10 rule where 90% of the serious mods are being done by just 10% of the owners. We've owned our 21' for 2 years now, and the only mod we've done is add a second access door under the bathroom side of the bed. We bought the little door pre-fabbed from ETI, so all we needed to install it was a saw and a screwdriver, and I can handle that. Other than that one oversight that we should have included to our original build sheet, we're content camping in an ETI factory "stock" trailer.
My guess would be you are dead on with this assessment. We probably have way less than 10% of the total Escape Owners that are ever seen on the forum, and most are probably using the stock trailer till they move on. Even the 3 Scamps I've redone, very few if any changes or mods were ever done to them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 43
Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like I’ll be making some changes to the portable solar hookup if we get the rooftop.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I wonder if camper modifications follow the 90/10 rule where 90% of the serious mods are being done by just 10% of the owners. We've owned our 21' for 2 years now, and the only mod we've done is add a second access door under the bathroom side of the bed. We bought the little door pre-fabbed from ETI, so all we needed to install it was a saw and a screwdriver, and I can handle that. Other than that one oversight that we should have included to our original build sheet, we're content camping in an ETI factory "stock" trailer.
I guess I'm in the 10%. I began making changes as soon as I had the trailer home from Chilliwack. I believe that just because the trailer isn't exactly the way you wanted from the factory, it doesn't mean you can't have it the way you want.
__________________

__________________
If It Isn’t Perfect, It Isn’t Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.