Spray Foam is worth getting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2016, 02:01 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Spray Foam is worth getting

For those on the fence about getting the Spray Foam option...

After 2 years I was still on the fence weather I made the right decision about getting the foam, I'm now on the pro side.

This fall while driving cross country we ran over what looked like a piece of firewood on the highway, it took out about a 6" square hunk of the foam from the forward side of the fresh water tank, seems to be no damage to the tank itself.

Wednesday, driving on I-81 just north of Harrisburg PA we were attacked by a road gator, some semi lost a retread, the whole thing was laying in the middle of the high speed lane in heavy traffic. The spray foam at front of the gray holding tank is pretty beat up, hopefully the tank itself is okay, looks it. Won't know till I can test it out when it warms up.

Must of been 6 cars pulled over while they looked over their damage, from a quick glance it was pretty extensive on some.

Have no idea how good the foam is for cold protection, but it works pretty well from road hazards.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: padlin... Those "Asphalt Alligators" have a real snap don't they? Sorry we missed ya'll in Alabama. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So, Robert, how are you going to replace those chunks, do you think the can spray foam will adhere?
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
For those on the fence about getting the Spray Foam option...

After 2 years I was still on the fence weather I made the right decision about getting the foam, I'm now on the pro side.

This fall while driving cross country we ran over what looked like a piece of firewood on the highway, it took out about a 6" square hunk of the foam from the forward side of the fresh water tank, seems to be no damage to the tank itself.

Wednesday, driving on I-81 just north of Harrisburg PA we were attacked by a road gator, some semi lost a retread, the whole thing was laying in the middle of the high speed lane in heavy traffic. The spray foam at front of the gray holding tank is pretty beat up, hopefully the tank itself is okay, looks it. Won't know till I can test it out when it warms up.

Must of been 6 cars pulled over while they looked over their damage, from a quick glance it was pretty extensive on some.

Have no idea how good the foam is for cold protection, but it works pretty well from road hazards.
Have not actually seen the foam application up close. Nice to have underbody protection, but how do you replace the grey or white water tanks if they are encased in foam and for whatever reason need replacing? assuming these are encased also so same question for access to the tank monitor sensors and wiring, and plumbing?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Have not actually seen the foam application up close. Nice to have underbody protection, but how do you replace the grey or white water tanks if they are encased in foam and for whatever reason need replacing? assuming these are encased also so same question for access to the tank monitor sensors and wiring, and plumbing?
Guess you'd need a knife. I did ask for and receive pictures of the underside of the trailer before they foamed it. At least I know what's where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, Robert, how are you going to replace those chunks, do you think the can spray foam will adhere?
That's what 'll try, come spring I'll post if it works. NOT my favorite substance to work with.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Same as a hot tub I use to have that had the foam. You have to chip away and remove all the foam around what ur trying to repair. (Not easy to do either) Then after, you have to try and replace foam with spray can product. It added lots of time, frustration and a major mess on my hot tub repairs.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Same as a hot tub I use to have that had the foam. You have to chip away and remove all the foam around what ur trying to repair. (Not easy to do either) Then after, you have to try and replace foam with spray can product. It added lots of time, frustration and a major mess on my hot tub repairs.
I can totally see how that experience would really make you NOT want to have foam under an Escape!

bummer.

On the flip side..... we like to camp right next to the ocean, and there are many many options to do so near us.

A couple people mentioned that the foam would really keep salt spray away from the underside... and really help with avoiding corrosion.

yes, i know i could potentially get out the hose and wash the underside of the Escape 21.... but in reality that is not an easy thing to do with my sometimes bad back... and would be a hassle....

thoughts, anyone? on spray foam helping to keep salt water corrosion away?

as an aside - we also like to go to places where it can get quite cold at night, and sometimes snow.... so we had already thought about getting the foam for those places..... also keeps out the heat somewhat, too.....

cheers,

"Los Angeles"
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

Trailer: pondering.....
After crawling under a 2015 Escape recently that did not have the foam and the owner did not purchase the foam option as the maintenance/repair feasibility question occurred to him as well..how do you fix things once its done!
would be nice to see if Escape had a cad drawing of the trailer underbody/frame so one could throw it into Solidworks and design a proper under body removable and replaceable insulated molding versus the current spray foam option....
this camper may need to delay retirement, turn the lights back on and consider an Escape as an R&D expenditure/writeoff...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
On the flip side..... we like to camp right next to the ocean, and there are many many options to do so near us.

A couple people mentioned that the foam would really keep salt spray away from the underside... and really help with avoiding corrosion.

yes, i know i could potentially get out the hose and wash the underside of the Escape 21.... but in reality that is not an easy thing to do with my sometimes bad back... and would be a hassle....

thoughts, anyone? on spray foam helping to keep salt water corrosion away?

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
OK, so would you guys therefore think spray foaming the underside of the tow vehicle is even more important?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Hummm, if you have a break in the spray foam and corrosion starts... are you going to easily see it and fix it before it becomes critical? If you don't need the foam for insulation (snow camping!), you might be better off treating the frame (right away) with a serious rust preventer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most car manufacturers no longer recommend rust prevention systems as they now incorporate in the manufacturing the use of plastic, aluminum and other non corrosive materials. Trailer manufacturers do not follow the same regime. I myself like the foam for several reasons, if it also prevents corrosion, then that is an additional benefit. There has not been a length of time long enough in order to judge that quality, maybe in 10 years it can be determined.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

Ya, right. Take at look at the frame of my 2012 F150.

Donna, what is "serious" rust preventer?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I was kinda thinking along the lines as Donna. What if salt spray works between the foam and the frame, the potential long term damage once discovered could be much worse. I would prefer open so I could visibly inspect the frame from time to time. If you think it's needed for insulation, ok, but don't think it would be a rust prevention technique.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If there's a void in the foam that allows water to reach the frame, then theoretically it could cause corrosion you couldn't see - but, I don't think that's a compelling reason to get the foam or not get it. The main reason is cold weather camping and the insulation for the underside pipes and tanks that it provides.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Boy there sure seem to be a lot of "what if" scenarios going on these days. Think I'll just enjoy my view, keep calm and keep on camping.

Cheers
Doug
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Most car manufacturers no longer recommend rust prevention systems as they now incorporate in the manufacturing the use of plastic, aluminum and other non corrosive materials. Trailer manufacturers do not follow the same regime.
I don't think those other materials are the reason that they don't want you to goop up your car - after all, the floor panel and other lower structure on the vast majority of vehicles are still steel, even though bumpers and so on are polymer composites and the hood is aluminum. Even the aluminum-bodied Ford pickups have steel frames. I think the reasons are:
  1. they already do a better job of coatings at the factory, and
  2. sprayed-on goop plugs up drain holes, which traps water and causes more corrosion, particularly in fender areas.
I agree that trailer frames are not protected like motor vehicles, so there is some argument to add protection, although I still wouldn't use any of the aftermarket automotive "rustproofing" coatings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #18

It's not like you can't see the frame if you have the spray insulation On mine I can see all the outside and bottom, as well as abut an inch, albeit with overspray, on the inside before you get to the foam. Guess that makes the foam about 3" think. Can't get much of a picture of it with the sun, but you should get the idea. After and before, before provided by ETI, same area but from a different angle.
Attached Thumbnails
frame (1362 x 766).jpg   005.JPG  
Old 07-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Great picture; that answers a lot for me! One other question. Does the black tank get a foam coating regardless of the under foam package or does it sit there like the picture? IIRC another post talked about spraying foam on the tanks anyway.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Does the black tank get a foam coating regardless of the under foam package or does it sit there like the picture? IIRC another post talked about spraying foam on the tanks anyway.
No.
  • The black waste tank sits on top of the floor, not exposed underneath, so it doesn't get foam in any case, and doesn't need it. The piping from the black tank is exposed under the floor, and only gets foamed if foam option is purchased.
  • If you don't get the foam under-floor insulation, there is no insulation applied under the trailer at all... not even tanks. That's normal - most RV tanks are just exposed, or above a cover but without insulation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote