Standard Equipment...What You Would Like - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
For 5.0TA buyers, I'd like to see ETI hinge the top step into the loft. Yes there are those that have done it as a mod, but it's a nice change and wouldn't be much for ETI to do it during the build.

We hinged out top step and use it to hold my shoes and vacuum parts. Terry gets the bottom step and storage next to the door. Yes, that top step hinged should be standard.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd like to see an aluminum frame, even as an option.
Yes me too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'd like to see an aluminum frame, even as an option.
Would you want this for less corrosion, or less weight, or both? The frame isn't much of the weight of the trailer (a few percent at most), so the weight difference with aluminum would be barely noticeable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Would you want this for less corrosion, or less weight, or both? The frame isn't much of the weight of the trailer (a few percent at most), so the weight difference with aluminum would be barely noticeable.
No rust . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
No rust . Pat
A second here! I have to diligently keep after the frame paint as I live near the ocean and rust will quickly get out of hand if not taken care of.

Those that live in areas that salt the roads have my deepest sympathy as that has to be worse.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I live in a salted road area but don't use the trailer around here in the winter so it shouldn't be an issue. Still, in 2 years I had rust on the frame. The worst areas are where the frame gets hit by road debris, sand, stones, and such.

An application of POR-15 has taken care of everything except the front facing parts, the debris still chips it some. And the ever rusting step.

Could be camping close to the ocean, which I do.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Both, but mainly for corrosion.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't understand how you can add a second step and maintain the standard 7" rise. I have high-lift axle so I have 2 5/8 " more space than most.
Could manage a 6" rise, I guess, with standard axle.

I ordered a 5.0 that will be finished in January. I needed the high axel option because of the height of my truck, but was able to opt for 2 steps instead of one.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Both, but mainly for corrosion.
That's understandable, given the (at least superficial) frame rust issues which are frequently reported; however, aluminum is not necessarily a solution. It still corrodes, as many people have noted on their aluminum alloy wheels, and cracking related to stress and corrosion can be a significant issue in aluminum structures.

Given the high cost and potential issues, I wouldn't want to see an aluminum frame as a standard feature. I do realize that this is widely considered a desirable feature of the Oliver trailers.

Maybe a better frame coating would be a more suitable option, or standard feature.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My Hidden Hitch receiver had some sort of plastic coating that lasted a couple years. Some lawn furniture was power coated. That peeled too.

I say let it rust and slap some rust paint on it from time to time. A 500 ml can of Tremclad semi-gloss and throw away brushes from Lee Valley make it easy.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What about galvanized, similar to boat trailers?
Old 12-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #32

Quote:
My Hidden Hitch receiver had some sort of plastic coating that lasted a couple years. Some lawn furniture was power coated. That peeled too.
Powder-coating is certainly not a guaranteed solution - it often does not adhere well enough to work, and that's likely due to surface preparation failures.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That can work, although many people would probably prefer to see black paint rather than the zinc coating on visible areas of the frame. It is possible to paint over galvanizing.

In addition to being common on boat trailers, many U-Haul trailers are galvanized. They're built to last without maintenance, rather than to be pretty.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I say let it rust and slap some rust paint on it from time to time. A 500 ml can of Tremclad semi-gloss and throw away brushes from Lee Valley make it easy.
Provided you're just dealing with cosmetic surface rust, that'll work. But we've all heard of examples where the frame rusted to the point where structural integrity was compromised, and under stress it broke - sometimes with very ugly results, including the loss of the trailer.

An aluminum frame will have surface corrosion, but it's not going to rust through and snap. I'd pay extra for it, although I realize I'm probably in the minority.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
An aluminum frame will have surface corrosion, but it's not going to rust through and snap. I'd pay extra for it, although I realize I'm probably in the minority.
Yeah no rust, but they do break. Gina D, a good friend an moderator on FiberglassRV, had a Burro with an aluminum frame. It broke, she was stranded. Good luck finding someone that can weld aluminum in some out-of-the-way place. Steel... any welder can weld it, even if dobbing . I think Gina had to have her Burro flat-bedded home. Ask her, she'll tell you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Quote:
That can work, although many people would probably prefer to see black paint rather than the zinc coating on visible areas of the frame. It is possible to paint over galvanizing.

In addition to being common on boat trailers, many U-Haul trailers are galvanized. They're built to last without maintenance, rather than to be pretty.
Isn’t the issue with galvanized that the zinc at and near any welds is burned off by the heat of the arc, removing the protective zinc coating? So these areas would rust anyway without further protection. If I think about my boat trailers there are a lot of mechanical fasteners (bolts) but not much welding used in their construction that I can recall offhand.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How about stainless steel?
Old 12-30-2019, 06:11 PM   #38

Quote:
An aluminum frame will have surface corrosion, but it's not going to rust through and snap.
I wouldn't count on that. Stress corrosion cracking can be an issue in both steel and aluminum (although it's much more of a problem in steel), and aluminum alloys don't have the effectively infinite cycle life of steel (leading to old structures failing). A good aluminum frame is desirable; one that his not well designed and fabricated can fail and is more expensive and difficult to fix than a steel frame.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How about stainless steel?
The right "stainless" alloy could work, but is relatively expensive (in materials, and fabrication), and can be heavier than the current steel. I don't know if any production trailer (of any type) is available with a stainless steel frame.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Isn’t the issue with galvanized that the zinc at and near any welds is burned off by the heat of the arc, removing the protective zinc coating? .
Shouldn't be a problem because most welders aren't going to weld galvanized metal. Very bad health wise. You can grind it in the weld area and apply a znic rich coating on the weld but I don't think that it's as long lasting as the galvanizing.

This is a galvanized frame that I saw on a fairly old trailer in St. Petersburg recently. The frame is still in great shape. I've done enough rust painting that I'd be happy to have a galvanized frame.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
29-08-2019 11-30-07 PM_0021_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote