Stolen solar panels - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 5,970
Okay, so I've been around on these all-molded-towable forum for more than most. AND while I don't read every single post, there was a time I did. Once-upon-a-time.. there were THREE major forums (no Facebook or other social media). The ONE post that broke my heart, was from a young family (on FiberglassRV) that decided to go down some dirt road to camp at an "unimproved" campsite, close to a river. The only reason it was a campsite was based on a crude campfire ring. It was a Dad and Mom and two young children... they set up camp, folded out the tent trailer, put out the lawn chairs... then left, for (my rememberer) about two hours to go to a small general store about 30 minutes away. When they got back to their campsite, EVERYTHING was gone... tent trailer, chairs, cooler, EVERTHING. It made my heart weep. Here was a young family trying to make a memory and provide an experience for their two kids... and some A$$hats took that away. Yes, it did happen exactly as I described. I really wish I could provide a URL so you could read the story, but that was Pre-Hack on FiberglassRV, but I've never forgotten the story...
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I did worry about that possibility, since my idea of a good camping trip is to be fishing all day, far from the trailer. So, I bought a couple of ground screws and a chain and lock and screw down the screws and run the chain through the handles and anchored to the solar panel (its on a welded aluminum A-frame). With the chain tight the screws can't be unscrewed and it would take a bolt cutter to steal the contraption. Bolt cutters I don't worry about...

--
Alan
Hi Alan have a nice 15 ft heavy vinyl covered cable . Lock one end on handle of panels , the other around frame or truck . Sometimes where we camp at beach lots of characters looking for a easy opportunity to walk away with what they can get . This way they just can't . Campgrounds really never had any problems , but then usually will have electric anyway . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
O...<Donna's sad story>...
There are bad people and a wise person will take that into consideration at all times - not just camping, of course.

My wife and I went on a backpack in a popular area over a summer weekend. When we returned we found out that ALL cars at the trailhead were broken in to. I lost a $6 cooler with a can of coke that I was really looking forward to, and a bunch of ratty camping clothes that truly belonged in the trash. Others lost wallets and valuables. So I lock my bike and solar panel and Escape hitch connector. Just a good habit in my opinion - to make a thief work a bit harder to get my stuff.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 10,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, so I've been around on these all-molded-towable forum for more than most. AND while I don't read every single post, there was a time I did. Once-upon-a-time.. there were THREE major forums (no Facebook or other social media). The ONE post that broke my heart, was from a young family (on FiberglassRV) that decided to go down some dirt road to camp at an "unimproved" campsite, close to a river. The only reason it was a campsite was based on a crude campfire ring. It was a Dad and Mom and two young children... they set up camp, folded out the tent trailer, put out the lawn chairs... then left, for (my rememberer) about two hours to go to a small general store about 30 minutes away. When they got back to their campsite, EVERYTHING was gone... tent trailer, chairs, cooler, EVERTHING. It made my heart weep. Here was a young family trying to make a memory and provide an experience for their two kids... and some A$$hats took that away. Yes, it did happen exactly as I described. I really wish I could provide a URL so you could read the story, but that was Pre-Hack on FiberglassRV, but I've never forgotten the story...
That musta been before my time on FGRV. What a terrible thing to happen. The A-holes that did it are scum.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Parker, Colorado
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 52
This is what I got for our panel. With a cable and lock it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
J Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
This is what I got for our panel. With a cable and lock it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A rash of bicycle thefts in Greater Vancouver have prompted the RCMP to advise that all cable locks can fall prey to an interested thief. I would imagine a pair of bolt cutters would go through this system as easily as a cable lock. Best bet is out of sight, out of (thieves) mind.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New Westminster, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
A rash of bicycle thefts in Greater Vancouver have prompted the RCMP to advise that all cable locks can fall prey to an interested thief. I would imagine a pair of bolt cutters would go through this system as easily as a cable lock. Best bet is out of sight, out of (thieves) mind.
Bolt cutters will have no problem with a cable lock.

I had my $1500 bike stolen a few years ago. It was inside our locked storage locker inside a locked storage room in the parkade of our condo building. I had locked it up inside the locker with a 15mm heavy duty cable lock and small U-lock to close the cable. We have some video and a decent photo of the guy kicking the door in, cutting the locks and the cable (like butter) and stealing the bike... even better he came back three nights in a row and stole even more bikes. The RCMP couldn't do anything when we discovered the thefts.

I now use a u-lock through the front wheel, frame and a rack plus a cable lock to prevent the rear wheel from being stolen. If the area is at all sketchy I use two u-locks - one for each wheel through the frame.

It makes me wonder why companies make and sell products like foldable Bolt Cutters... might as well offer a thieves starter pack including black backpack, balaclava, folding bolt cutters, etc.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Parker, Colorado
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
A rash of bicycle thefts in Greater Vancouver have prompted the RCMP to advise that all cable locks can fall prey to an interested thief. I would imagine a pair of bolt cutters would go through this system as easily as a cable lock. Best bet is out of sight, out of (thieves) mind.
You're absolutely right, what one is trying to do is create a deterrent.
Heck with a screwdriver, I could pry our Escape door open in about 4 seconds and have access to everything inside.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Posts: 175
I've been camping for over forty years and personally have never been a victim. I have heard stories.
I think the incidence must be the same as for stuff being taken from your home.
Just like i wouldn't leave a radial arm saw in my driveway overnight i wouldn't leave a solar panel out when I wasn't there.
Quite a few places we camp people will show up thursday night of a long weekend and set up their trailer and carpet and some chairs and then drive away. They return friday night of course but anyone sitting there knows that trailer is in the wild by itself.
Still, for the little portable type things don't tempt people.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
____
John
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
sturski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamestown, Colorado
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Posts: 217
I had a Honda EU2000i generator taken. It was locked to the rear trailer bumper using a bicycle cable lock. Bolt cutters made short work of the lock.

While I was less than pleased, 1 generator in 45 years of camping seems low risk. I put the generator inside the camper, these days; but that's about it.
__________________

sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.