Stolen solar panels - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2011 casita sd
Stolen solar panels

One of the reasons folks don't like the idea of portable solar panels is because they think they will be stolen. I have one on the roof and a portable panel. My portable panel has never been stolen. Now I've heard rumors of panels being stolen but I've never known someone that actually had theirs stolen. So I'm curious. Has anyone that visits this forum had their solar panel stolen? How often does this really happen?

Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I know a few folks with portables, no issues reported, I have yet to use mine. Come to think of it, in 10+ years I don't personally know anyone who's had anything ripped off while camping in a campground. Occasionally I'll read about such though on one of the other forums, but not about solar panels.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I've never had a problem but then again, I'm pretty careful about keeping it tethered with a cable lock and always deploy it in a very visible area, crooks need to be inconspicuous. I never leave it out when we're gone long either.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I've never had a problem but then again, I'm pretty careful about keeping it tethered with a cable lock and always deploy it in a very visible area, crooks need to be inconspicuous. I never leave it out when we're gone long either.
Hi Gregg . Same here , everything you do . On another note ,We now have a nice big , organized new Harbor Freight store in town . Bought the torque wrench on sale to carry . Very nice store . You sure made it with your new trailer in the nick of time . Can't wait to see it sometime . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Hi Pat. The 21's been great! Good shakedown cruise and it's headed to DMV next week. Almost finished with our mod's, only partioning off the wardrobe and pullout drawers left. Not sure I'm going to need my portable solar but it's good thing to hang onto.

All the best, see you on the trail one of these days!

Greg
Old 08-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Hi Pat. The 21's been great! Good shakedown cruise and it's headed to DMV next week. Almost finished with our mod's, only partioning off the wardrobe and pullout drawers left. Not sure I'm going to need my portable solar but it's good thing to hang onto.

All the best, see you on the trail one of these days!

Greg
You got it Gregg ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I know a few folks with portables, no issues reported, I have yet to use mine. Come to think of it, in 10+ years I don't personally know anyone who's had anything ripped off while camping in a campground. Occasionally I'll read about such though on one of the other forums, but not about solar panels.
I am in the same boat. I have never personally heard from anyone of having anything stolen from a campsite. Depending on where I am I will take some minor precautions and just not worry. Karma will get those who do wrong by people.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am in the same boat. I have never personally heard from anyone of having anything stolen from a campsite. Depending on where I am I will take some minor precautions and just not worry. Karma will get those who do wrong by people.
Hi: Jim Bennett... What happens if your Karma runs over my dogma? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Thirty years ago we were camped in a Missouri State Campground when a bunch of young guys who had camped the night before decided to leave in the morning and swiped a cooler that belonged to one of the other campers on the way out. Not a real big deal and the only time I am aware of a theft in a campground where I was camped in 50 years of camping. Remember the old public service campaign "'don't let a good kid go bad, take your keys, lock your car"' still true today. A little caution and forethought avoids most problems. I used to tell the Parks people to check the door for being locked twice because I knew that every door was tested every night and if not, some were tested twice. Kind of like owning a desirable sportscar. If yours isn't stolen someone else's will be twice.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #10

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
...Has anyone that visits this forum had their solar panel stolen? How often does this really happen?
I did worry about that possibility, since my idea of a good camping trip is to be fishing all day, far from the trailer. So, I bought a couple of ground screws and a chain and lock and screw down the screws and run the chain through the handles and anchored to the solar panel (its on a welded aluminum A-frame). With the chain tight the screws can't be unscrewed and it would take a bolt cutter to steal the contraption. Bolt cutters I don't worry about...

--
Alan

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote