Tank Sensors, Horst vs. the See Level II system - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Tank Sensors, Horst vs. the See Level II system

Has anyone had any success using the See Level II Tank Monitoring System on their Escape tanks? It is made by a Canadian Company, Garnet Industries and doesn't use probes in the tank. Looks like a much more simple installation and wiring and they have a model which also monitors two LP tanks. Looks like it could be a direct replacement for the system Escape uses. I am very interested in this as it will eliminate the probes (and holes) in the tanks and from reading several other threads, the tank probes seem like they don't work very well.

See Level II, Garnet Industries
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Horst probes work flawlessly. As for holes in the tanks, it's no concern to me. They don't leak.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Garnet Industries - RV Tank Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Looks like a much more simple installation and wiring and they have a model which also monitors two LP tanks
And from another thread:
Quote:
Having a SeeLevel system which also monitors the propane tanks could also be an option some people may pay extra for.
Although the SeeLevel system for water and waste tanks is superior to through-wall probes, I believe that the propane tank level feature is like everyone else's system: the tank must have a float and resistive sender on it. The portable vertical 20-pound tanks used by Escape (and almost every other travel trailer) are not available with level senders, so they won't work with the level display system (which is why Escape doesn't use the conventional monitor panels which have a propane level feature).

From the other thread:
Quote:
Not sure if Escape gets their tanks with the probes already mounted in them or if they drill and mount themselves. I would really prefer no holes and an exterior PCB adhered to the tanks. From a production line basis the SeeYou system could be much simpler as someone somewhere has to drill three holes in each tank, mount probes and hook up wires. Sticking on a self adhesive PCB could save a lot of time and effort.
I agree that the external sensors have advantages and would be practical to install on the production line, but having two different sensor installations would likely be a production concern. It wouldn't hurt to ask...

And from earlier in the other thread:
Quote:
Since it is a Canadian company I imagine they have already contacted Escape to try and get them on the trailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Garnet Industries is a largely a supplier of industrial instrumentation systems, and put their RV level systems into many high-end motorhomes, so I'm not sure how aggressively they pursue other RV opportunities such as OEM (at factory) installation. I wouldn't be surprised if they have never contacted Escape; a potential customer may need to start that conversation.
I had not look at this list before: OEM Manufacturers
I note that (other than T@b) most of these are premium-priced brands; NRC is a customizer, and Vintage is a build-to-order operation. I haven't talked to Garnet about how they ended up with these specific OEMs, but my guess is that owners of these brands had custom installations done, which were made into production options.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Horst probes work flawlessly. As for holes in the tanks, it's no concern to me.
I don't think that's true for everybody, and even when they are working exactly as intended, they only display the level in four steps. Maybe that's enough precision, but the SeeLevel systems are much more precise.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Ithe SeeLevel systems are much more precise.
I don't really need to know how many poops I've had.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My answer to that would be that paying for any type of tank sensor system would then be a waste of money. But if a tank sensor system is used (and/or paid for) then it should be accurate and reliable.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #7

I think it depends how much people are willing to pay for what level of accuracy.
I haven't seen a comparison of prices for the standard probes versus Horst and SeeLevel. My black tank standard probes have been reading 2/3 full for over a year and I'm okay with that because I can just look down the hole.
From the SeeLevel video it appears an easy mod for somebody willing to pay for it.
ETI obviously has to weigh the cost/benefit of all the components of a trailer and make their call. If SeeLevel only costs a couple bucks more and if it speeds up production, I'm sure ETI would adopt it.
I'm quite sure that Reace and Tammy are in touch with all RV suppliers and that they are in touch with ETI.
There have been several "great new products" touted on this forum that people have purchased and found lacking. ETI has tried several and abandoned them.
I'm not dissing Horst or SeeLevel. Just not sure ETI should adopt them as standard equipment.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #8

These you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
sensors.JPG  
Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 AM   #9

Quote:
I think it depends how much people are willing to pay for what level of accuracy.
I haven't seen a comparison of prices for the standard probes versus Horst and SeeLevel. My black tank standard probes have been reading 2/3 full for over a year and I'm okay with that because I can just look down the hole.
From the SeeLevel video it appears an easy mod for somebody willing to pay for it.
ETI obviously has to weigh the cost/benefit of all the components of a trailer and make their call. If SeeLevel only costs a couple bucks more and if it speeds up production, I'm sure ETI would adopt it.
I'm quite sure that Reace and Tammy are in touch with all RV suppliers and that they are in touch with ETI.
There have been several "great new products" touted on this forum that people have purchased and found lacking. ETI has tried several and abandoned them.
I'm not dissing Horst or SeeLevel. Just not sure ETI should adopt them as standard equipment.
$239.00 on the website for the battery and three tanks (not LPG) At that price It should be pretty comparable to what is currently used. I don't know whether Escape buys the tanks already drilled, drilled with probes already inserted, or if they have to drill the holes, insert the probes and make sure nothing leaks, but somebody has to do that and the labor costs money. If they buy the tanks already drilled out for probes then offering this option could be messy but if they do the drilling and adhesive mounting then this could be a very cost effective option.
See Level has been around for years and I have seen comments on other threads. My question is whether anyone has asked Escape to install it as an option and for those who have added it, how does it work? From the many threads dealing with tank issues my impression is that the current probes don't work well and the Horst probes at $100.00 buy yourself and send to Escape ore only marginally better.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:27 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Marginally better? I must have missed where someone has had issues with them.

Thought I had read at sometime in the past that ETI would not install the Sealevel system, the Horst was fine as they are direct replacements and require not change in wiring. It's certainly worth asking again though.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:21 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Marginally better? I must have missed where someone has had issues with them.

Thought I had read at sometime in the past that ETI would not install the Sealevel system, the Horst was fine as they are direct replacements and require not change in wiring. It's certainly worth asking again though.
That's the advantage - the only thing that changes is the probe itself. No other changes needed to use the Horst probes. They're also accurate. I've not heard of any issues with them either. Of course, these type of probes and monitor only show the levels in quarter tank increments, but that's fine for us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: gbaglo..." Inquiring minds want to know"!!! My blacks been stuck at 2/3rds. for the minimum too. At least it moves up so they're not totally constipated. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've not heard of any issues with them either....
Some amazon review customers might disagree.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a set of Sea Level sensors purchased 5 years ago and still in the box. I was going to install them on my EggCamper but did not after reading the install directions as well as possible issues.
If my memory recalls, you have to be precise in measuring where you cut the sensors according to your tank configuration. Because of this they may give you false readings.
So the kit sits, unused on my "rv accessories" storage unit.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Some amazon review customers might disagree.
Yeah, they would. I can't tell you how many times I've purchased something on Amazon that had 5 star reviews, only to find it was junk. And, vice versa. I use Amazon reviews as only one minor factor in my purchase decisions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
I installed a SeeLevel system to our 19. A blow by blow discussion is here.

It's works well and I'd recommend the product. Much better resolution than the stock unit, and reliable. I didn't hook up the LP monitoring, the switching regulator is fine for us.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I installed a SeeLevel system to our 19. A blow by blow discussion is here.

It's works well and I'd recommend the product. Much better resolution than the stock unit, and reliable. I didn't hook up the LP monitoring, the switching regulator is fine for us.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.
I also am familiar with the sea level system . I had installed in previous RV . I just followed the directions . It was a pretty nice system and was very happy with it . It has crossed my mind many times to add to this trailer . I just need more pressing items right now to go that route . Pat .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
The fresh water tank can be viewed to check the level The black tank can viewed with a flashlight. I know It's gross but it works and my sensor always says half full so I've been forced to.
So if the grey water tank was see through like the fresh water tank, you would have a fool proof monitoring system. Just don't forget the flashlight.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
The fresh water tank can be viewed to check the level The black tank can viewed with a flashlight. I know It's gross but it works and my sensor always says half full so I've been forced to.
So if the grey water tank was see through like the fresh water tank, you would have a fool proof monitoring system. Just don't forget the flashlight.
Hi: craiginpetaluma... Fool proof works for me some of the time... in fact most of the time... but not all of the time. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Fool proof and common sense, two terms that are fading from being properly understood .
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote