Teach me about toilets... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
I actually like the late night wanders to the campsite bathroom, as long as it isn't pouring rain. The cold doesn't bother me, and even the quietest sites we usually visit have enough people in them that it's nice to experience the silence after everybody has gone to bed.

But washing off bug spray is something I definitely understand!
I didn't mind the trip until my wife & I got lost on the way back to the campsite at 2:00AM. (it was a huge campground). While I still use campground facilities when available, I sure do appreciate an in trailer bathroom in the middle of the night!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi Doug,

One last thought on your post subject.
Someday you might want to sell, trade, or stop camping. And since a lot of FG trailer owners are "Baby Boomers" or come from tent camping, not having a built-in bathroom might be a deal killer for most looking to buy your trailer. Give yourselves the option of a clean bathroom as you camp and travel down the road. I quickly learned how much more my wife loved camping once we owned an RV and she had her own shower and potty. Dumping and maintaining your pumbing will become second nature in just a few trips out.

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 Chinook Concourse (Molded fiberglass!)
I agree with the re-sale issue concerning bathrooms vs. no bathrooms! We have noticed how much longer it takes to sell trailers without bathrooms, especially if they are bigger than a 13ft. trailer. For this reason alone, I think it is a good idea to include a bathroom. I also agree with the convenience of having a bathroom as we "boomers" get older! We are now in the "must have a bathroom" mode for our Escape!
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
Hi Linda et all. It's interesting to read the various views on the interior shower. It would appear from the posts that it very much depends upon where one lives, and camps, as to whether a full bathroom is an absolute necessity. We prefer boon docking to RV parks and undoubtably are more concerned with water conservation so a lake or river is preferable and we don't have all the hassles of shower curtains, grey water tanks and hook ups. We are in our seventies and bought our trailer, a 15B with no internal shower, on the second day it was offered. It does have an exterior shower which does have limitations but then usually our deer neighbors are ones you have to bear up with. Interesting to hear others' perspectives.

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
When considering fiberglass trailers, I would guess that the vast majority do not have bathrooms. (Porta-potties do not count here.) Fiberglass eggs usually have not had room for them or people did not want to pay for them. Of the eggs that are being manufactured, not all have black and gray tanks. When buyers want a bathroom, there are not many choices in fiberglass. There are a couple of newer companies now.

Then when you look at the fact that Escape is the top end, well, how many people are going to pay that higher price without a bathroom? There are lots of eggs out there without a bath for them to choose. Many people talk about the quality and customizing and good service of Escape, but how many buy bathroomless? I wonder if Escape has numbers on that. It would be interesting to see the breakdown by model also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #26

Reading back through the previous posts it appears the yeas and nays are borderline

Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's an old saying, "you can never miss what you've never had." Like many people, I come from backpacking (and did as the bears), then tents (pit toilets and sponge baths), now I have a fully-self contained trailer. Whether or not I use the onboard facilities is a choice I can make at any moment. And I usually do in the middle of the night! Three steps out of bed to take care of business, three steps back and under the covers. Nirvana.

I'd never go back to what I did in the past. I would miss what I've now had. I'm at an age I deserve my creature comforts and I can afford it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #28

Donna It seems that there is a mixup here as to what one calls a washroom/bathroom. Just to clarify we have a washroom with a toilet but not a bathroom with a toilet and bath/shower. Your comments relate to the original post mine to later posts. My bad

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Dixhiccup, I would say that, as with houses, if there is a toilet, it's a bathroom. No shower needed.

Donna, we are the same. It's a toss-up as to whether the hard shell to keep animals out was more important than the bathroom to keep us in.

Some people do seem to prefer their porta-potties. I was interested in one. As you say, once you have a bathroom though, no going back. Of course, if there are two parties and one insists on something, that's what it is!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #30

As I said in #26 the meaning of the words can be defined by where one lives! Anyway so long as we are all happy with our ablutions that's all that matters. Cheers