tight parking / crawl to empty sewage? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question tight parking / crawl to empty sewage?

Hi all

We have a 2017 21' ordered..... we'll be parking it by the side of our home. A tight spot, but doable i think.

The 21' will be quite snug up - about 6" or 8" away from - a tall wall (all along the property line) on the drivers side.

About once a year the parked Escape is used by guests, and so after their stay I need to empty the black and grey tanks.

Using my Trailer Valet XL I could move the Escape a long way forward to get easy access to the sewage drain, but it would be much easier to leave it in place.

My questions are:

one) approximately how far from the black/grey outlet is it to the front of the body , and how far is it to the rear of the body? (not including front storage box, not including rear bumper or spare tire)

two) If the 21' Escape is about 6" or 8" from the long wall from the drivers side, I'm understandably concerned about being able to get access, and connect an RV sewage hose to the Escape, and then open and close the valves.

Any clever tricks that I haven't thought of?

I plan on getting the underside foam, FWIIW.

three) With the foam, do you think a decent sized (but not huge) adult guy (me) could crawl along the side of the Escape to connect the sewage hose and work the valves, with a wall 6" away from the belly band.
My body would have to be mostly *under* the Escape, as I can't fit thru an 8" opening.

Yes I know the 2017 21' is more square, and also the frame is 4" wider.

I know this is a tough question to answer..... thanks for any thoughts.

Los Angeles
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16

I'm 230 lb and getting into a 6 in space might be a challenge .
options
Don't have guests use your rig, pull your 21 out from wall and empty then put it back ? Pictures would help of wall and house
We have a similar problem of being able to empty our 21 when we get it .We have a septic tank and field and we thought of opening the 4 in. clean out plug and emptying it in that .Will that be a problem? what side is the clean out on (drivers side )?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I'm 230 lb and getting into a 6 in space might be a challenge .
options
Don't have guests use your rig, pull your 21 out from wall and empty then put it back ? Pictures would help of wall and house
We have a similar problem of being able to empty our 21 when we get it .We have a septic tank and field and we thought of opening the 4 in. clean out plug and emptying it in that .Will that be a problem? what side is the clean out on (drivers side )?
As i mentioned - yes - one option is to pull the Escape way way forward and then empty it, but it would be much easier to leave it in place and empty it.

Yes I know that no adult can fit in a 6" space, but I'm curious how much space is there *under* the 21'; one that has the underside foam.

and... the cleanout is under the house, and the house is on the passenger side, but the location of the city sewage connected cleanout (under the house) does not matter, as the sewage hose(s) can simply go under the Escape to get to their destination.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You don't have to dump right away after guests, but do it when you next take off with your trailer. We have done that lots, and it worked fine for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You don't have to dump right away after guests, but do it when you next take off with your trailer. We have done that lots, and it worked fine for us.
Unfortunately that might be 6+ months and I don't want to leave the sewage in that long.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When parked, how much room between the passenger side and the house? Could you possibly pull the tongue toward the house side to give you room to get to the discharge valves? Fortunately they're in front of the tires
Attached Thumbnails
21Escape_front_drivers_ext.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
empty sewage

How about cutting the black tank pipe up front and adding a dump attachment at that point. You may need a longer dump hose or park farther back in camp sites.
In case you are not aware, the pipe goes across inside of the front` of the trailer and then drops down through the bottom and then back to the valve area.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When parked, how much room between the passenger side and the house? Could you possibly pull the tongue toward the house side to give you room to get to the discharge valves? Fortunately they're in front of the tires
Hey Donna.... that is a great idea... I could 'cheat' the tongue towards the house a BIT.... my limitation, of course, being the rear of the Escape swinging over and hitting the property line wall (drivers side)

but I might get lucky.....

thanks for the great idea. Brilliant.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
How about cutting the black tank pipe up front and adding a dump attachment at that point. You may need a longer dump hose or park farther back in camp sites.
Jack
Hey Jack... cool idea.... i didn't think of that.

I wonder if ETI could do that for me in the build? I'm guessing no.

and

this would leave the grey tank partially full... but much less of a concern...
Old 06-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I think this could be a great application for a macerater pump.

Amazon.com: SEAFLO 12V Quick Release RV Mount Macerator Waste Water Pump 45 LPM 12GPM Boat RV Marine: Automotive

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Hey Charlie

I understand what a macerator pump does - but how would it help me in my situation?

I can't imagine the benefit.

But am all ears.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Hey Charlie

I understand what a macerator pump does - but how would it help me in my situation?

I can't imagine the benefit.

But am all ears.
I would attach it when parking the trailer for long periods (like in a boat) with an output hose to reach your rolling tank. Switch on with an extension cord.

Might have to build a stand for it to sit on or get a 90 degree pipe elbow to attach to your rig if it's too long overall. Rhino makes those.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I would attach it when parking the trailer for long periods (like in a boat) with an output hose to reach your rolling tank. Switch on with an extension cord.

Might have to build a stand for it to sit on or get a 90 degree pipe elbow to attach to your rig if it's too long overall. Rhino makes those.
Interesting idea... thanks.

I guess overall I'm most comfortable with ... once the guests leave... i empty and rinse and empty the black tank, then empty the grey tank, so all the tanks are clean (enough) and empty.

so... i'd need access to the black + grey valve at the sewage outlet from the Escape.

Donna's idea of swinging the tongue, towards the house, away from the wall, as much as possible is a great idea... and of course i'm not so smart so I didn't even think of that.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
You might need to remind guest who aren't familiar with RVs that the waste tanks are not infinite. The first vehicle we had with waste tanks was a Rialta and it had fairly small tanks, On our first camping trip with it, washing dishes, showering, etc we filled the grey tank up in one day.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
You might need to remind guest who aren't familiar with RVs that the waste tanks are not infinite. The first vehicle we had with waste tanks was a Rialta and it had fairly small tanks, On our first camping trip with it, washing dishes, showering, etc we filled the grey tank up in one day.
Good point... but luckily our guests understand. (and are reminded as well)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
My trailer is also close to a fence. There's lots of ground clearance and I don't have any difficulty crawling under to reach the other side. Cranking the tongue jack up a bit would give even more clearance. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
17-01-2016 4-05-49 PM01_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My trailer is also close to a fence. There's lots of ground clearance and I don't have any difficulty crawling under to reach the other side. Cranking the tongue jack up a bit would give even more clearance. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ron
Why was my first thought of you getting a face full of....well, effluent.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good excuse to take the trailer camping and dump at a cg, using one of those portable units can get nasty as well as heavy. I had about 18" and it was too close to breathe...
Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You could park with BOTH sets of tires on blocks to give you more room under the trailer. Then (as Ron said) raise the tongue to improve access to disconnect/connect the hose - and lower it to level to dump.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Hey Ron - thanks for the great ideas and the awesome pic. Very helpful.

I had not thought of cranking up the tongue a bit to gain a bit more space. Silly me. of course! :-)
then lower to level, to dump.

(thank goodness a bunch of wise people firmly told me to get the power tongue jack!)

and... if need be, i could buy an inexpensive 'creeper' (is that the proper name?) to lie on it, on my back, and easily scoot under the Escape and hook up.

and... I like to store my travel trailer on some particle board or similar, just to keep the rubber off the concrete. It is my understanding that this can help reduce the slightly bad interaction between concrete and rubber, over time. (but that is a whole different debate)