tight parking / crawl to empty sewage? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Good excuse to take the trailer camping and dump at a cg, using one of those portable units can get nasty as well as heavy. I had about 18" and it was too close to breathe...
Yeah I'm not ever going to use one of those portable units.

I'm simply connecting to the handy cleanout that is sort of nearby, that connects to city sewer.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Better check with local government on dumping into city sewer, they may want to have you apply for a permit so that they can charge you $$.... and if you get caught without one, more $$$
Old 06-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Better check with local government on dumping into city sewer, they may want to have you apply for a permit so that they can charge you $$.... and if you get caught without one, more $$$
Sorry if i wasnt clear

I am merely connecting the travel trailer to my house plumbing system.

the main *house* line that runs under the house.

(I have a "clean out" that was installed by my plumber)

so pretend I'm simply flushing a BIG toilet and then having a LONG shower.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't understand how your guests are going to get in and out of the trailer, or how you are going to get in with a hose to flush the tanks...
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't understand how your guests are going to get in and out of the trailer, or how you are going to get in with a hose to flush the tanks...
The travel trailer door faces the house (passenger side) and there is more than enough space there.

and to refill the black tank i just stand on the toilet pedal, and also shoot the shower hose into the toilet.

works just fine.

plus i dont generally bother to rinse the grey tank. we don't cook any fatty foods, so no grease at all goes into the grey.

never had a problem at all this way with our Casita, and I don't expect the Escape to be any different.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Might be able to use one of these, 2 actually, to open the valves from the front of the trailer. Amazon.com: Valterra TC372 72" Flexible Cable Kit with 3" Valve: Automotive

If you replaced the pipe cover with one of the ones with a hose outlet, you could leave a macerator connected and do the whole job remotely.

They have power valves too, but they look kind of bulky.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Sorry if i wasnt clear

Hi: Losangeles... Just be sure you have enough space to spring backwards out of the line of fire...... after you pull the trigger on the black tank. Don't ask me how I know this!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'd hookup the sewer hose at the last point backing in where I could still access it and run it out underneath the rear bumper if that's where the path it needs to go. Finish back-in and cheat tongue a bit. That eliminates the need to hook up the hose and all you need to do is be able to reach the handles which you might be able to fashion a stick of some type to pull and shut the handles.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
That was my thoughts too Bob.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... i could buy an inexpensive 'creeper' (is that the proper name?) to lie on it, on my back, and easily scoot under the Escape and hook up.
Yes, that's what they're called. They vary quite a bit in height, so you may want to look for a reasonably priced low one rather than just a cheap one. They are usually used on nice smooth concrete floors, and can be very difficult to roll on a driveway, so look for large-diameter wheels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #31

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas

Much appreciated.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

and... if need be, i could buy an inexpensive 'creeper' (is that the proper name?) to lie on it, on my back, and easily scoot under the Escape and hook up.

and... I like to store my travel trailer on some particle board or similar, just to keep the rubber off the concrete. It is my understanding that this can help reduce the slightly bad interaction between concrete and rubber, over time. (but that is a whole different debate)

As Brian mentioned there can be rolling issues with creepers depending on several variables and it does reduce the vertical space. I have a love-hate relationship, normally stemming from it not rolling smoothly and my fingers getting pinched trying to grab and move it I normally just throw down a piece of carpet or cardboard. Quick, simple and easy to slide on.

Don't know about the tires on concrete thing. I just put in a new driveway and put the wheels on plywood but with rain and debris build-up around them I've decided that I'll just keep the tires on the concrete. It's not as if they'll be in one place forever.

New house being built next door. The sewer clean-out is about 6' from the fence.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
17-04-2016 12-45-55 PM01 (2).JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'd hookup the sewer hose at the last point backing in where I could still access it and run it out underneath the rear bumper if that's where the path it needs to go. Finish back-in and cheat tongue a bit. That eliminates the need to hook up the hose and all you need to do is be able to reach the handles which you might be able to fashion a stick of some type to pull and shut the handles.
Thanks Greg

and...

on our Casita the outlet of the sewage swivels down (because.... gravity) and also swivels up (to get a bit more clearance from the road, there)

I can't remember... on an Escape 21' - is there a similar swivel outlet, or is the outlet fixed, and straight out?

If it is straight out - it is one less thing to need access for. I could do as you suggest - simply attach a hose at the last possible moment, and tuck it in the general direction that it'll need to go (forward) before Trailer Valet XL-ing it into place.

and.... a long stick with a hook is a very good idea... to use to slowly open up the black valve, and close it, then open up the grey valve, and then later close it....

....that actually might work well... and it has the advantage of keeping my face FAR AWAY from the sewage.

and if I cheat the tongue towards the house, as needed, then i'd get more space to jam my body in, up against the wall... to use the stick - valve technique.

Los Angeles
Old 06-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Sorry if i wasnt clear

I looked into this with our city, on the thought I'd use the trailer during a remodel, and the answer was a resounding "NO". Can't connect RVs to house systems. Makes sense, since then they could become auxiliary dwellings. I still use the clean out for periodic dumping when needed, but don't leave it attached. In our town, we have a problem with illegal use of RVs, and the city goes around and makes visual checks of such parked vehicles.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I looked into this with our city, on the thought I'd use the trailer during a remodel, and the answer was a resounding "NO". Can't connect RVs to house systems. Makes sense, since then they could become auxiliary dwellings. I still use the clean out for periodic dumping when needed, but don't leave it attached. In our town, we have a problem with illegal use of RVs, and the city goes around and makes visual checks of such parked vehicles.
Good pickup SantaCruzer. This is becoming more prevalent with cities due to the tiny house movement and more and more people living in RVs coming to live with friends etc in a driveway. I would agree with you, good advice to not leave the sewer hooked up, but only hook in for the dump. You could just curl the hose under the front of the trailer until needed.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #36

yeah we'd never leave it connected, for a variety of reasons.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I normally just throw down a piece of carpet or cardboard. Quick, simple and easy to slide on.
Yep - I use cardboard.

I think some people use creepers because they often have a tool tray on the side, so the needed tools can move around under the vehicle with you; that could be handy, but you can also just put them in a tray and slide the tray along the ground... and there are not a lot of tools in this particular sewage-dumping exercise.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I pack a foam yoga mat - handy when you need to kneel or change a tire when on the road, among other things.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #39

Question for 21' Escape owners - on a 21' do both the grey and black handles pull OUT .... So away the curb, so to speak.

I only as I saw a photo of an escape and the black pulled out, but the smaller Grey handle pulled at 90 degrees to the black.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Question for 21' Escape owners - on a 21' do both the grey and black handles pull OUT .... So away the curb, so to speak.

I only as I saw a photo of an escape and the black pulled out, but the smaller Grey handle pulled at 90 degrees to the black.
On the 2014 the handles are at 90 degrees

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote