To wrap or not to wrap, that is the question... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
To wrap or not to wrap, that is the question...

We're in the final hours of making any changes before we sign out build sheet I've talked over this subject with friends and researched the site, but there seems to be 2 schools of thought on upholstery covering all sides of the cushions. Cosmetic? Moisture? I know there can be a condensation problem between the walls of the trailer and the cushions. I plan to put a layer of Drymesh back there, as well as the bed area. Seems the vinyl backing on the cushions might protect more against any condensation than fabric? Initially, I asked for the cushions to be wrapped completely with fabric, but now am not so sure. Any sage advice? Thanks---
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I think full wrap would provide wear and stain provision as you could flip the cushions. I live in a dry area and don't have condensation issues. My cushions are not wrapped, I would have asked for it if I had thought about it as I camp with kids so I have a pretty good chance for spills.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks, Thane--a good consideration.
Gae
Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We too decided to go for a full fabric wrap, but then after we thought about all the trips we made in colder weather in our 19 and the condensation between the cushions and walls we decided on the vinyl backing. Yes it would be nice to have the cushions with a full wrap so if one side gets stained you could flip them, but the moisture issue won out.

Oh and by the way don't ask if you can get the seat cushions with a full fabric wrap and the back cushions (where you get the condensation) vinyl backed we were told you have to get them all the same.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Oh wow---good to know this. Thinking about heading this direction--the moisture issue is a dominant one, for sure. We plan to eventually put some type of slipcover-ish type of fabric over the cushion surface anyway to protect the upholstery--from us and the terriers! Have also read about cutting a swimming "noodle" in half lenghwise, to act as a spacer against the wall and to aid in keeping the cushion from falling froward. Thanks for the input---
Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The mattress in my Starcraft Hybrid was 4" foam with vinyl on one side and fabric on the other, as far as I know everyone else with a Hybrid has fabric on all sides. Moisture between the bunk doors (what the mattresses lays on in bed mode) and the mattress was an issue for everyone but the Starcrafts. From that experience I'd say if you are concerned about such, get a vinyl back to them. I've not had the issue at our standard dinette cushions.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Thanks, Bob~
G
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Alot depends on the fabric. We went with upholstery on all sides but it's Sunbrella outdoor fabric that is designed to hold up to moisture as well as UV. What little condensation may occur on the cushion backs will not be an issue for this type of fabric, and if we want it drier, we can always add a sheet of drymesh. The ability to flip the cushions for even wear, etc outweighs potential condensation for us, but your experience may differ.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

I wish we could have gone custom with the fabric, but I did not start that part of the research early enough. Our nearest fabric shop is 45/50 miles away and I didn't find anything in stock I could live with. The Sunbrella samples I received were gorgeous, but I just didn't pursue it. I wanted to see what the final tally would be on things we really wanted/needed in the trailer. All said, ETI did a pretty good job selecting their standard fabric, formica and floors with so many people to please. Custom would have been great, though!

Anyway, thanks so much for your opinion. It would be good to have the flexibility to rotate and flip the cushions. BTW--the fabric y'all chose is warm and happy. I'll try to introduce some color in ours!
Gae
Old 02-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thanks oldclimber. We love the fabric now that we've seen it in the trailer -- just the look we were going for. I may feel different once we've taken delivery, but right now there is absolutely nothing I would change.

There is nothing wrong with the stock fabric -- Tammy did a great job choosing a fabric that will please people of different tastes. Now the stock fabric in a Casita? Let's just say we don't like it. And they don't even let you change it. The willingness of ETI to create a truly custom trailer is part of what separates them from the rest.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #11

Absolutely! I told Crystal at ETI I don't know how they (Tammy?) came up with a fabric that camouflages everything and works for a lot of folks. I would have gone mad! And the original Casita cushions? Sorry, but not so hot. We lucked out on ours, though. The original owners, friends of our that had the trailer less than 2 years, spent over $800. on custom foam cushions upholstered with beautiful Sunbrella fabric. The pale green linen-like material--we loved it. It held up extremely well, but a friend of mine made large "pillowcases" for the cushions, because I was paranoid about spillage, etc. Probably didn't need to, the fabric was well-treated and resisted liquid and dirt very well. That's an option for the Escape later on, maybe. We're happy for now~
Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
One thing to consider with upholstered on both sides (which we ordered on our 19') is to protect the bottom fabric from the plywood base. We are covering the plywood bench access covers on ours with short pile carpet runner. I have done exactly the same on my Boler.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ian has a good idea about the carpet. The plywood is pretty rough and the hinges are exposed to the bottom of the cushions. Hummm....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

Thanks everyone--appreciate the advice. At this point, I think we are not going to wrap the entire cushion and leave the vinyl on the back. At some point, "On the Lam" might tell us she'd prefer it differently~
Peace,
Gae
Old 02-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #15

We might bring some type of thin carpet or area rugs with no skid backing on them to protect the bottom of the cushions, even the vinyl. Thanks for the tip.
G
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used the same hyper vent mesh used under the bed also behind the cushions.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I used the same hyper vent mesh used under the bed also behind the cushions.
It's good stuff--
G