Traveling with the furnace running - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Traveling with the furnace running

Has anyone tried it?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
7000 miles so far. No problems.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #3

That's a lot of cold weather driving, where'd you go, Alaska?

Thanks.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am curious as to why you would need to. To me, it doesn't make sense to heat space you are not using. It takes but minutes to warm up when stopped to camp. Maybe you are carrying temperature sensitive cargo in the trailer?

Even in the coldest of weather, when nights get below freezing, we only turn it on a bit before going to bed, and then off again after we get up. The odd time we need to spend time inside, it can get turned on temporarily. Too draining on the battery otherwise, and wastes fuel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Exactly my thoughts. What is gained?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

If one were to kick on the furnace, say 30 minutes before pulling off the road for the night in the dead of winter, a warm trailer would be a nice option to have.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Exactly my thoughts. What is gained?
Hi: MyronL... An empty propane tank...soon. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
7000 miles so far. No problems.
sounds like there is no safety issue... and the fact that the trailer is moving means the need to keep it level so that fuel doesn't pool doesn't apply.

Sounds like a reasonable solution if you are traveling and hit a cold snap while your tanks and lines are full...

IF (and this is my question) the heater heats the space sufficiently to keep the water lines from freezing... Given that significant lines are OUTSIDE the trailer, that seems to eliminate all benefit...

Amy
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeltaine View Post
sounds like there is no safety issue... and the fact that the trailer is moving means the need to keep it level so that fuel doesn't pool doesn't apply.

Sounds like a reasonable solution if you are traveling and hit a cold snap while your tanks and lines are full...

IF (and this is my question) the heater heats the space sufficiently to keep the water lines from freezing... Given that significant lines are OUTSIDE the trailer, that seems to eliminate all benefit...

Amy
It depends on your trailer model. On my 19, all water lines are inside the trailer. The tanks and drain valves are outside. Tanks are covered with foam, so I would expect the only problems to be with the drain valves. I have heard of people being unable to dump their tanks during prolonged cold weather, but I haven't and don't plan to experience that.

As far as the safety of traveling with propane on, there is a safety issue if any propane line were to come loose or be damaged in an accident. There was a recent discussion of this at RT62 What you need to know about propane and driving your RVRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog It's rare but it could happen. I turn off propane when traveling but I would consider it if caught in a really cold time and needed to travel.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I turn off propane when traveling but I would consider it if caught in a really cold time and needed to travel.
In previous threads on leaving the propane turned on while traveling to keep the fridge running, it seems that many folks do. Perhaps the majority do. I always have so I wouldn't have any qualms about having the furnace on ahead of time to have the trailer pre-warmed. Another "to each their own" situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #11

Looks like Nick is the only one who's actually done it, good enough.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I went camping last weekend. Three nights out... four days. When I pulled into the campground the outside temp was 48 degrees. So was the inside of Ten Forward! After hooking up the electrics (and letting the surge protector do its thing) and the water.. I fired up the furnace.

Within 15 minutes, the inside of Ten Forward (air) was warm (and stuffy). BUT, sitting on the cushions my bottom was cold, the Formica was cold, the mattress, blankets, pillows, vinyl walls, cabinetry, carpet and pillows were COLD.

It took about 3-4 HOURS before the entire trailer felt warm enough where I could walk around and SIT without heavy shoes and a coat. I have the extra insulation and dual-pane windows.

So my point. There is warm and then there's warm. Even my sticks 'n bricks home isn't warm (like the outside/interior walls) when I've had the heat shut down to low.

If you are a traveler and want your trailer to be warm, maybe running the furnace under tow is a very good idea.

Hummmm....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
For anyone that has the heat pads. (I do have them but have not used them yet since 99.9% of our camping so far has been boon docking). Has anyone used the heat pads while towing? Would the alternator keep up with the battery loss? I would probably have to pull out the multimeter and measure the hot pin output since every vehicle is different. Thanks, Scott

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Donna, flannel sheets and...
Attached Thumbnails
Ben06.jpg  
Old 11-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I do see value in keeping the trailer interior reasonably warm, especially with an active water system. I have not done this with a trailer, but have with a motorhome.

Quote:
As far as the safety of traveling with propane on, there is a safety issue if any propane line were to come loose or be damaged in an accident.
Rupture of a propane hose or tubing in a collision is a recognized hazard, and that's why modern hose-end fittings at the propane tank have an excess flow valve - the surge of flow should shut this valve down.

Quote:
There was a recent discussion of this at RT62 What you need to know about propane and driving your RVRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog It's rare but it could happen.
I note that this is a Roadtrek forum, and thus presumably specific to Class B motorhomes rather than trailers - the furnaces can be similar or the same (although in this case are very different), but propane tank mounting is definitely different. The excess flow valve discussion does apply.

I hope that this nonsense was the result of inept editing, rather than an "expert" who doesn't know what he's talking about:
Quote:
Propane expands 24 to 1 in the atmosphere, meaning that as the gas escapes into the air, it will take 24 cubic feet of air to mix with 1 cubic foot of propane in order to support combustion
The volume ratio of liquid propane to propane vapour and the stochiometric ratio of air to propane are unlreated concepts.

As previously discussed - in the context of running the refrigerator while driving - having the propane tank valve open while driving does involve risk; however simply driving involves risk and some of us do not consider this propane risk to be unreasonable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Myron, the only pets I have are dust bunnies
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
At my orientation, Reace said it was not a bad idea to run the furnace while traveling in freezing temperatures. Its not likely, but possible you could freeze your pipes inside during very cold weather. I believe that is why Reace mentioned this.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Donna, flannel sheets and...
"hairy legs".......
Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
"I have heard of people being unable to dump their tanks during prolonged cold weather, but I haven't and don't plan to experience that."

Yep, last year we had to pay an auto detailer 100 bucks to pull the trailer into his heated garage for a 3 day weekend to thaw out the valves and the 3' black water pipe on the 17 which is outside the heated space. Three days at 55 degrees and there was still slush in the lines-- and this was with a liberal percentage of pink stuff in the tanks.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote