Tx Fan Working? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 01:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Tx Fan Working?

We had the Auxilliary “Tx” fan installed on our 2017 19, and have not had need to use it as yet, but just for kicks I flipped the switch to see how detectable it was. Having to rely on sound or vibration, as the fan is mounted up somewhere above the fridge access panel out of sight, I cannot detect any activity when switched on.

Do others with the factory Tx fan have the same experience, or is this unusual? And is there some other way that I can confirm correct function of my fan?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The fan is thermostatically operative, so that the switch turns on power, but if it is not hot enough, it will not activate. ETI recommends use only while camping, not while towing.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #3

Interesting. Where is the thermocouple and what temp activates it?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #4

Mine would come on around 90 degrees....off at 80....But Reace felt that with it on while towing it caused a turbulence and caused a flameout, thus leave it off while towing.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mine would come on around 90 degrees....off at 80....But Reace felt that with it on while towing it caused a turbulence and caused a flameout, thus leave it off while towing.
Definitely do not use the Texas fan while thriving with the fridge on propane. That will blow the fusible link and require replacing it
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

Yes, I’d read about the travails suffered to diagnose that problem and shall not replicate it myself.

Just trying to find a way to do a function check to make sure our fan works. Is there any way to do so short of waiting for 90+ weather?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

You can bypass the fusible link perhaps?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #8

I thought the fusible link was just a fuse, which should mean that unless it’s fried it should be intact, no? So are you suggesting my fan seems inoperative because the fusible link may have sacrificed itself? I don’t even know where it is in the Tx fan setup. I was thinking the thermocouple explanation would best explain seeming lack of activity. Also don’t know where this is or what it looks like. I only know just enough about most things, including electricity, to be dangerous. But I’m a good learner and pick things up quickly if anyone could point the way on this one.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You can bypass the fusible link perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I thought the fusible link was just a fuse, which should mean that unless it’s fried it should be intact, no? So are you suggesting my fan seems inoperative because the fusible link may have sacrificed itself? I don’t even know where it is in the Tx fan setup. I was thinking the thermocouple explanation would best explain seeming lack of activity. Also don’t know where this is or what it looks like. I only know just enough about most things, including electricity, to be dangerous. But I’m a good learner and pick things up quickly if anyone could point the way on this one.
I think Jim meant to bypass the thermostatic fan switch. I don’t have one but it should be clamped to the upper condenser coils at the back of the fridge. Without an upper sidewall vent configuration it will be hard to see. Back in a 2014 post Reace said “the fan sensor switch is set to come on at 105 degrees and shut off at 90 degrees.” Remember this is not ambient air temp because it is clamped to the hot condenser tube. So Jim’s numbers seem to make sense if he is speaking outside air temp. If you can find the switch then maybe you can blow a hairdryer on it to force it to run. You can see what it looks like in the lower left hand side of the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
19F9303F-5D72-4193-A505-553D99DCB048.png  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #10

Aha, thank you, gentlemen!

I wonder if a heat gun sort of aimed up ‘the shaft’ might work?
Old 07-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19'
Hi All,

We picked up our 2017 19' a couple of months ago and are loving it so far. We also ordered the external fridge fan in case we ever need it and I completely forgot to ask about it's operation during orientation. I emailed ETI and was told there should be a toggle switch in the fridge exterior compartment. I see the fan zip tied at the top of the condenser coils, the red wire is connected to J2 on a black controller of sorts, and the black wire is bolted to ground but no toggle switch can be seen. Can anybody with a new 19 and this option have a look and let me know if you can see a toggle switch? Perhaps it is thermostatically controlled and does not use a switch anymore? I do see a blue wire with a terminal on it that is just hanging out near the ac plug, could this have been for the switch and someone forgot to install it?

Thanks kindly,

Eric
Eric & El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #12

Here is what the witch looks like, once you turn it on, it is thermostatically operation, on and off at preset temperatures. It should only be used while stationary and not left on while towing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170413_172614.jpg  
Old 07-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

Also I believe ETI no longer offers that option as it may have cause problems with use while towing. Maybe you do not have it, was it on your build sheet?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #14

It is on our build sheet. Hopefully I have correctly attached pictures of the fan above the coils but I definitely do not see that switch. Can you see what color the wires are at the switch and maybe I can trace them down.

If all else fails I can send pictures to ETI. We are only a couple of hours away from the factory.

Thanks,

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0942.JPG   IMG_0943.JPG  
Old 07-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
yes it works

Current trip the afternoon temps are 95 and I switch it on at set up and off at ready to pack out.
I can set the fridge @ 4 when on and it won't keep 40 degrees at 5 with it off.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric & El View Post
It is on our build sheet. Hopefully I have correctly attached pictures of the fan above the coils but I definitely do not see that switch. Can you see what color the wires are at the switch and maybe I can trace them down.

If all else fails I can send pictures to ETI. We are only a couple of hours away from the factory.

Thanks,

Eric

Were you able to sort out your missing switch? I meant to take pics of ours awhile back but got sidetracked. Ours is an August 2017 19, and as you can see, our switch is pretty obvious.

I’m still waiting for high enough temps to do a function check on ours though. If I were cleverer with the electrons, I’m sure I could bypass the thermocouple to make sure the fan works. Not brave enough to try without expert instruction though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5027.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	32582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5028.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	32583
Old 07-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #17

Hi Sclifrickson,

I sent the pictures to Escape and received a reply from Reace stating that in some cases the fridge fan is preinstalled by the manufacturer in which case it only has a thermal switch. If Escape adds the fan then they also install a master on/off switch.

Hope you are enjoying your new trailer as much as we are

Eric
Old 07-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric & El View Post
Hi Sclifrickson,

I sent the pictures to Escape and received a reply from Reace stating that in some cases the fridge fan is preinstalled by the manufacturer in which case it only has a thermal switch. If Escape adds the fan then they also install a master on/off switch.

Hope you are enjoying your new trailer as much as we are

Eric

Thanks for the well wishes!

So your reply raises a question in my noggin. ETI has warned to not use the so-called Texas fan while under tow, indicating that this condition may have been responsible for some troubles a few experienced. Blown thermistors or somesuch?

So my question would be, what’s to prevent that from happening in hot conditions if you don’t have a manual On/Off Selector Switch? Is the fridge-manufacturer-installed fan immune to this in some way that the ETI-factory-installed fan is not?

Aaaaaand...Commence group speculation!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #19

IMHO, since the manufacturer's fan is up so high, the likely hood of turbulence is less than the texas fan which was closer to the heat source.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Were you able to sort out your missing switch? I meant to take pics of ours awhile back but got sidetracked. Ours is an August 2017 19, and as you can see, our switch is pretty obvious.

I’m still waiting for high enough temps to do a function check on ours though. If I were cleverer with the electrons, I’m sure I could bypass the thermocouple to make sure the fan works. Not brave enough to try without expert instruction though.

Attachment 32582Attachment 32583
Just put a screwdriver across the two terminal of the heat sensing switch mounted on the refrigerator coil making sure the screwdriver only touches the two terminals
When my texas fan failed I order a new one and it came with a on & off switch and all the necessary wiring
One problem I have read about is that when traveling with the motor energized is that the motor tries to turn one direction and the air coming through the vents tries to turn it the opposite direction causing the motor to stalll . That may be BS because I have seen muffin fans lock up and the motors suffered no harm
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote