VERY noisy water pump - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
VERY noisy water pump

I realize that some water pump noises were already addressed in earlier threads, but the responses were mostly with regard to older or used systems.

We took our brand-new Escape 19' out this past weekend, and are beginning to use certain systems regularly.

Whenever I turn on the tap, there's a low-pitched, motor-like sound that emanates through the tap, as well as throughout the camper. It sounds like a slightly muffled lower-pitched motorcycle idling, or a muffled jackhammer, and is as loud as someone talking! It does truly sound like something is wrong, so, I've refrained from using our water until I figure this out.

Does anyone else have the same experience? Is this noise normal? If not, could there be a problem with the motor? What type of problem?
What about the hoses? I read something about stiff hoses bumping up against other objects in previous threads...would that vibration cause this loud of a noise?
I'd appreciate any explanations, solutions, and advice in solving this mystery! Thanks!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That typically happens to us when we're running low on fresh water in the tank and it starts sucking air. The fix is to make sure you have at least 1/4 full tank- better to have 1/3 then open all the taps and let it run until it sounds normal again.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In addition to above, make sure all your lines are bled of air. Have to make sure you open cold and hot in both bathroom and kitchen initially to make sure all air is out of the lines. There will be some operational noise when pumps running, but it shouldn't be loud.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ours is ridiculously loud. Also loses pressure quickly down to little after a few seconds so cannot continue to run it if we want high flow. Have to wait a few seconds for pressure to build up again. Wonder if that is common. We have a kit to make it quieter but have not used it yet. Louder than our 19' for sure.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Ours is ridiculously loud. Also loses pressure quickly down to little after a few seconds so cannot continue to run it if we want high flow. Have to wait a few seconds for pressure to build up again. Wonder if that is common. We have a kit to make it quieter but have not used it yet. Louder than our 19' for sure.
This is exactly how ours was in my last trailer, for some reason the escapes pump is not near as loud. On the old trailer I added foam under the pump, the quieting hose kit, and wrapped foam around the.pipes where ever it might hit the cabinetry. Also installed as accumulator, which I also added to the Escape. All the above helped a lot.

For the OP, don't know how the current pump Escape is using is, but noisy water pumps are pretty much the norm for RV's. Upper end ones are probably quiet.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 21’ 2020
thanks

Great advice and possible solutions. I'll try to purge the air, fill the tanks more, and check the hoses. Hopefully these will all reduce the noise.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Vibration Isolation Pads

Just thought I would share

Recently I finished up an installation of radiant floor system in my house for my master bath. My issue was the pump that is attached to a joist in the crawl space was making enough noise I could hear it in the master bath. Was not horrible, but irritating to say the least.

In talking to my plumber he recommended using "Vibration Isolation Pads".

What a difference now I can hardly hear the pump when I'm standing right next to it.

Not sure if this will totally resolve the noise/vibration issue regarding the RV water pump, but might be worth a shot for those that can not live with the pump noise. You can find them all over the internet and home supply stores they come in different sizes and materials. Picture attached showing one type and not necessarily recommending this one just showing what they look like.

Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Vibration Isolation Pad.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
VERY noisy water pump

Kent here is what I did 6 or so years ago in my 19. It did quiet things down quite a bit. Somewhere on the forum there's a write up about it. It's just foam sandwiched between plywood

Cheers
Doug
Old 10-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape Trailers is now installing flexible hoses on their pumps to eliminate plumbing chatter. As soon as it gets daylight I'll try to post some pictures.