Water capacity ... How long can you boondock in a 17b? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Trailer: 2017 21 due 4/15/17 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 17B "Blue")
Re: Water capacity ... How long can you boondock in a 17b?

As Baglo suggests, whenever weather permits we wash dishes outside - this in itself really helps not fill the grey water tank. However, in US National Parks and many state parks, dumping dish washing water on the ground is now prohibited. Many don't then tell you what they DO want you to do with it. We usually just walk it to the nearest pit toilet and dump it in there.

Wisconsin is the world capital of tick's carrying Lyme's disease and I know probably at least 10 people who have had it - some with very serious complications. So when we are camping in Wisconsin or any other state with deer ticks - we live in insect repellent. I really don't enjoy coating our sheets with it, so I usually take a shower before bed. But, it is also amazing with some practice of how little water you can use in the Escape's shower. For longer stays I keep a plastic bucket in the truck that I can use to drain some water out of the grey water tank and carry it to a pit toilet.

Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

Thanks, all -- very useful suggestions. Eric, yeah, being covered in DEET or other repellants does not make for a good night's sleep ... and it's not great for anything synthetic (cushion covers) either.

For those that advise the "military shower" approach -- no worries, we learned the art of the quickie in NZ. We're going to be using our Escape here for some work trips -- think of it as "working at home on wheels" -- we are journalists and depending on the story we can get quite stinky on the job (last year's story on the Great Lakes' Asian carp invasion was an excellent case in point We would rather not force peeps to experience our "odor" or yesterday's fish goo without a quick scrub. That's one of the main reasons the shower is appealing to us.

Elizabeth & Dan
Oliver the 2012 17B
Fern the Golden Retriever
& Dovekie the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

You live in the midwest. That explains a lot. I well remember taking a shower at home to wash off the sweat from the heat and humidity, only to come out of the shower and not being able to dry off because of constant sweating.

"It's not the heat. It's the humidity."
"How is that working for you?" - Dr Phil
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #14

Hi d & e,
One of the reason's we have an Escape is the bathroom...we use it! Like others, we do dishes, etc. outside...no problem. But we both bath daily, and have found it takes about 5 gal/bath trying to be realitively frugal. So, that's about 2 days for us off grid. Plenty of battery power, and we never use our fresh water tank for drinking water...just washing/bathing. So, the limiting factor is the gray tank for us..if we take grandchildren, it's the black tank...for some reason they are intrigued by the camper's toilet : - )
So, looking at all the responses, it all depends on you.."to stink, or not to stink? That is the question!"
"In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice. In the morning, I will offer my prayer to you, and wait in expectation" Ps 5:3
'11 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab (5' bed) 09 Escape 5.0
Blacksburg, Virginia (Home of the Virginia Tech Hokies)
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA

I know exactly what you mean about grandchildren and toilets. What's up with that?

2015 Escape 5 TA
2016 Ford F-150
captmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Fortunately, I am bigger (and meaner) than my grandkids.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote