Water filters - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Water filters

I was looking at some pictures generously posted by Larry and Liz and noticed a large blue filter on their incoming water supply line. We were planning on using bottled water for cooking and drinking as I felt a lot of water sources couldn't be trusted. Ever been to Mexico and had Montezuma's revenge? Anyway, one of the places where we will set up for two or three weeks has rust in the well water, and I was concerned about rust stains in the water lines, tanks, and on the fixtures. From what I have read, this filter has done a good job of taking care of rust and all contaminates at a very reasonable price. What have been your experiences with any type of water filter or do you use one? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I was looking at some pictures generously posted by Larry and Liz and noticed a large blue filter on their incoming water supply line. We were planning on using bottled water for cooking and drinking as I felt a lot of water sources couldn't be trusted. Ever been to Mexico and had Montezuma's revenge? Anyway, one of the places where we will set up for two or three weeks has rust in the well water, and I was concerned about rust stains in the water lines, tanks, and on the fixtures. From what I have read, this filter has done a good job of taking care of rust and all contaminates at a very reasonable price. What have been your experiences with any type of water filter or do you use one? Loren
Look through a Lowes/Home Depot at the wide variety of filter types; each is designed to remove particular contaminants - from rust all the way up to chemicals. I've seen campers with whole house type filter canisters sitting on the ground next to the supply faucet with a short length of hose to attach. We use a screw-on from Camping World.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think you can count on a water filter preventing Montezuma's revenge.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use a water filter on my faucet for drinking in the Escape. (Just filter "campground" water) I also added the "blue" filter to my incoming water after recommendations on the forum that this might decrease the amount of contaminants going into my hot water heater. As to the serious "bugs" in the water, I'd recommend going to a back packer supplier and get a high end water filter.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
When filter specs talk about removing "rust", they mean particles of rust (iron oxide). If the water has not just bits of rust, but dissolved iron, that iron turns to rust when exposed to oxygen. If iron is in the water, rust stains will still appear anywhere that water sits exposed to air (such as in a toilet bowl), because a filter can't take out dissolved iron.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I've seen campers with whole house type filter canisters sitting on the ground next to the supply faucet with a short length of hose to attach.
I have this setup and have used it in some cases. I only aim to take out "muddiness" and organic matter that would encourage stuff to grow in the fresh water tank; I don't expect it to take out dissolved minerals or microorganisms.

We have a similar filter permanently installed in our house; it takes out mostly rust particles (which in our case result from oxidation of dissolved iron).
Old 02-28-2015, 12:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I may look into one of those whole filters where they do remove rust, though I wouldn't drag it around the country. This would be just for the one location in Iowa where I'll be parked for about 5 weeks out of the year. They say the aquifers that feed the wells there come down from the iron ranges up in Minnesota. Plus we are starting look at the $500 to $1000 range. Or I might just put a water tank in the truck and get water from town. Was kind of planning that anyway to do some serious boondocking. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
When filter specs talk about removing "rust", they mean particles of rust (iron oxide). If the water has not just bits of rust, but dissolved iron, that iron turns to rust when exposed to oxygen. If iron is in the water, rust stains will still appear anywhere that water sits exposed to air (such as in a toilet bowl), because a filter can't take out dissolved iron.
Brian is correct. The filters will not remove dissolved iron, but at least dissolved iron is not going to be harmful to your health. As far as rust stains are concerned, there is not much you can do about that unless you spend big $$$$$$. If you are that concerned, then the bladder in the back of the vehicle idea is probably the least expensive option, as it can be refilled anytime, ASSUMING you can find a source of conditioned water from which the iron has been removed. The biggest concern is pathogens, and only then in the water you drink.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Brian is correct. The filters will not remove dissolved iron, but at least dissolved iron is not going to be harmful to your health. As far as rust stains are concerned, there is not much you can do about that unless you spend big $$$$$$. If you are that concerned, then the bladder in the back of the vehicle idea is probably the least expensive option, as it can be refilled anytime, ASSUMING you can find a source of conditioned water from which the iron has been removed. The biggest concern is pathogens, and only then in the water you drink.
Hi: C&G in FL... We drink double filtered...one on the water line and a Brita in the jug... campground water. I just don't take "One a day" with iron any more.
Last year when we left FMB the inline filter was green Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
FMB Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Here's a good source of info and a wide selection of filters. (I have no affiliation with them...)
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #11

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
All campground water systems are different when it comes to water pressure and purity. Since I don't like the standard pressure reducer, I went to home depot and purchased a filter housing and all required fittings and adapters. Don't remember where I picked up the regulator, but I prefer to have a gauge. I hang the filter from the hydrant and run water for a few seconds to flush it a bit. I then remove the hose end from the regulator and hook it to the hydrant. The rest of the hook up is normal. The system works well and it didn't take too much time or money to assemble. Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Water filter.jpg  
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
Don't remember where I picked up the regulator, but I prefer to have a gauge.
I have essentially the same pressure regulator; it is readily available at typical RV supply stores.
Valterra adjustable brass regulator with gauge

I like having the gauge, so I can tell what's going on. The main reason that I bought this style was actually not the gauge but the adjustment: the knob can be turned to set the best pressure for the RV. It's expensive for a regulator (although actual selling price is lower than the list price shown in that Coast catalog), but it may never need to be replaced.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
All campground water systems are different when it comes to water pressure and purity. Since I don't like the standard pressure reducer, I went to home depot and purchased a filter housing and all required fittings and adapters. Don't remember where I picked up the regulator, but I prefer to have a gauge. I hang the filter from the hydrant and run water for a few seconds to flush it a bit. I then remove the hose end from the regulator and hook it to the hydrant. The rest of the hook up is normal. The system works well and it didn't take too much time or money to assemble. Bob
I like the setup. After we've camped for a season with the simple brass regulator and the cheap inline Camco filter, I may just build a similar one.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What's the reasoning behind having an adjustable, do you change the pressure in different situations? I though you just bought a 55-65 psi and forgot about it.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What's the reasoning behind having an adjustable, do you change the pressure in different situations? I though you just bought a 55-65 psi and forgot about it.
I found that the typical fixed regulator was set for a pressure which didn't produce desirable flow rate from the shower, and it seemed to be produce erratic flow - I found this with three regulators of two different brands and styles. With the adjustable unit, I set it as high as possible without allowing excessive pressure for the hose and piping, and everything works smoothly.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Check out https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com. It has lots of RV water filter and regulator solutions, and the owner has a wealth of knowledge.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One point on the Valterra adjustable brass regulator with gauge - don't let it freeze, even a little. Mine still works, but the gauge will no longer go down to "0" and reads 20 lbs too high. That was after one night that got down to 29°F...
Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #18

I've used our adjustable regulator (which is a Valterra or identical) in freezing conditions, but it was wrapped in heat tape. I'm not surprised that freezing might damage the gauge; I had not thought about that, and it's a good tip.

Even with a non-working gauge, I would prefer the adjustable regulator. It may also be replaceable - water pressure gauges are cheap, readily available, and usually just threaded into a NPT port... but I haven't checked this on ours.