Water pump running - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19'
Water pump running

This is our forth camping trip in our camper, but the first that we used the water tank only. We stopped for a break on the road and I forgot to turn off water pump when we left. When I got to the campground, the pump was running constant. I flowed water and it quit. Thought all was fine until we came back to camper and the pump was running. Did the same. It did not act up again all night, but the next day after being away we came back to it running again. Any idea's
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
First things first. When leaving the trailer, turn the pump off. If somehow you develop a leak in the plumbing, it will flood the trailer.
I only turn the pump on when I need water and turn it off after using the tap or flushing.
Some leave it on when in the trailer. You might get help with your issue from one of them.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 19'
From my experience would chech that all fittings are tight especially the filter. Found out by checking & filter was loose. Also as FYI, I had lots of plastic debris from tank in that filter so might want to take off & clean it then just hand tighten.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #4

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
water pump running

When we picked up the 19 the pump was running while Dennis was doing the hook up. I told Reace and he immediately adjusted the pump and it was fine there after. It's a little adjustment screw on the pump.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my pump would run just for a short couple pulses every couple hours when we left it on, I replaced the backflow valve on the pump and it stopped.

basically, I'm saying it could be a lot of different reasons, the adjustment azjack describes is only one possibility.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Check that all the fittings at the pump are tight first. I've also seen a cracked strainer housing at the pump inlet that allowed air in when the pump ran but didn't leak water. This kept the system from properly building pressure.

See page 2 to see what Shurflo says about the pump bypass. I've never had to adjust it, but if the full bypass pressure is not high enough above the cut out pressure of 55 psi the pump will run continuously. Maybe you are on the ragged edge.
http://shurflo.com/images/files/RV_P...s/911-1008.pdf

This graphic describes which are the pressure and bypass set screws because the Shurflo manual does not:
The Lazy Daze Companion: Adjusting The Shurflo Revolution 4008 Water Pump
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Check that all the fittings at the pump are tight first. I've also seen a cracked strainer housing at the pump inlet that allowed air in when the pump ran but didn't leak water. This kept the system from properly building pressure.

See page 2 to see what Shurflo says about the pump bypass. I've never had to adjust it, but if the full bypass pressure is not high enough above the cut out pressure of 55 psi the pump will run continuously. Maybe you are on the ragged edge.
http://shurflo.com/images/files/RV_P...s/911-1008.pdf

This graphic describes which are the pressure and bypass set screws because the Shurflo manual does not:
The Lazy Daze Companion: Adjusting The Shurflo Revolution 4008 Water Pump
Our strainer ( filter) top was cracked ( cut) from stainless screen inside . Shurflo sent us a new one after a call . Had the same issues . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Since your problem is not consistent I would probably rule out a leak as my first step. My guess is that one of the one way valves either in the pump head or in the backflow preventer has a piece of crap in it. The pump head has valves like your exhaust and intake valves on your car engine. (Exhaust valve closed, intake open and cylinder fills with water. Intake closes pump pushes and exhaust opens providing pressure to system) If one of the valves (one way flapper valves) leaks back the pump will not maintain pressure, especially intake, and will run on and on. If there is a piece of plastic or calcium scale periodically getting stuck in a valve it could act as you describe.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

I found the filter and after the trailer had been sitting for 3 days when I remove the filter I could hear the pressure relieve so it held pressure that long. I did not find anything in the filter so after I installed it I tried it and it seemed to work.

My next question his why the filter is installed on top instead of on the bottom. Do you know if this is normal?

Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The filter should be installed on the inlet side of the pump.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
My next question his why the filter is installed on top instead of on the bottom. Do you know if this is normal?
This recently came up in another thread. The strainer should be on the inlet side of the pump, but the actual orientation of the strainer does not seem to matter. The data I found on them does not specify explicitly and it makes sense that it could work in any orientation. There is a flow arrow on the strainer housing...make sure that is pointing in the direction of flow (towards the pump).

http://shurflo.com/images/files/RV_P...0Strainers.pdf
Old 05-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #12

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYEJtsOJZPsQBfj83
Old 05-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
It should be fine as-is but if it makes you feel better you could always rotate it so the filter bowl is down.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Here is a picture of the water pump as installed by Escape in a 2013 15B. Strainer is installed face up at factory.
Attached Thumbnails
15Bwaterpump.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #15

Ok thanks.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Here is a picture of the water pump as installed by Escape in a 2013 15B. Strainer is installed face up at factory.
In that case I think it had to be. With the pump mounted on the floor you probably wouldn’t have enough clearance to have the strainer bowl face down.