WFCO WP-8740P Power Center - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
WFCO WP-8740P Power Center

We have the WFCO Power Center in our 2009 19' and I know there was a topic about the fan running in that particular unit, but has anyone else had a problem with fuses blowing? We seem to get a lot of blown fuses and it mostly happens when plugging or unplugging from AC power or our generator. On a 7 day camping trip recently we blew at least 5 fuses and it's not always the same fuse. Something apparently causes a surge and I'm wondering if there could be a fault with the trailer plug.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Re: WFCO WP-8740P Power Center

We too have an '09 19 and have never had any such issue. Hopefully you have access to a good RV repair facility (or some one with a good knowledge of trailer electrics) that can test the various lines, connectors and components of your system. I only know a little about electrics, but it sounds like you have a short of some kind. I'd be very interested to hear what's the cause after you have it fixed.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I have blown fuses on ours a couple of times, but my own fault. Each time it blew, I had hooked up the AC while the trailer cable was still connected to the tow, overloading the system.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

if the battery in the tow vehicle is in a decent state of charge it really shouldn't matter if it is plugged into the trailer and really shouldn't overload the trailer circiut
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

My husband says he really doubts it's the trailer's plug, but does everyone else's go "crackle" when they plug it into an extension cord or a generator?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

i have never had it "crackle" when pluging in a trailer
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryls
My husband says he really doubts it's the trailer's plug, but does everyone else's go "crackle" when they plug it into an extension cord or a generator?
The only thing I can think of that makes a "crackle" when plugging things into power, is something is turned on. In other words it wants to draw power the instant you start plugging in and maybe bridges the gap slightly causing the noise. For the life of me though I can't imagine what would be powered on in your trailer. Try flipping off all your breakers inside before plugging in to see if that makes any difference.
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Is everyone turning off the campground breaker before plugging in? That should eliminate some arcing or sparking that can cause issues. Plug in both the trailer and then at the pedestal and then throw the breaker. But neither of these would cause 12v fuse failures.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Is everyone turning off the campground breaker before plugging in? That should eliminate some arcing or sparking that can cause issues. Plug in both the trailer and then at the pedestal and then throw the breaker. But neither of these would cause 12v fuse failures.
I agree that turning off the campground breaker before plugging in is, in my opinion, the best method to follow. When I do that, I get no sparking. At home, when I am too lazy to turn off the AC breaker I always get at least a small spark, since the power center itself is always on (unless the main disconnect is switched off or does that only disconnect the path between it and the battery?) - awaiting that AC power.

[As I noted, the only times I have blown fuses (twice) is when I have plugged in to AC power without disconnecting the cable to the tow first. We have a tow package with an extra large capacity battery in the Tacoma, and have just stopped driving, so tow battery is at full charge.]

My mental check list for our infrequent times with shore power is 1- disconnect cable from tow; 2 - turn off campground breaker; 3 - plug my surge suppressor into the campground plugin, turn on campground breaker and check the light on the surge suppressor; and finally 4- turn breaker back off, plug in trailer cable and turn breaker back on.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I really can't see how there would be an issue with blowing fuses when both plugged into the car, and into 120V as well. Fuses blow as a result of too much load drawn(too high of a current draw), and not because of the supply. If there is no load on a circuit, a fuse won't blow.

I wonder if a message sent to the supplier would give any ideas, because it does seem strange that it is different fuses each time that blow. Something is amiss, for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

We have plugged into the power bush several times without disconnecting the tv from the trailer -- mostly when we would just be there one night. We haven't blown any fuses while doing that. on the other hand, we don't have most things on in the trailer when we are plugging in -- just the propane detector, and the clock on the stereo. Dave @ Escape had mentioned that some folks just leave the AC switch on the water heater on since it would only be used when plugged in, but I turn that off. So far, no blown fuses [knock on wood].

We had Escape install a surge protector in the trailer, so maybe that has something to do with it. It took me a while to figure out that there is a 2 minute 15 second delay after I turn the power on at the power bush before the trailer has power. Only two trips to different camp ground managers to ask why the power wasn't working, and then returning to say "oh, never mind...".

Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Webster
We have plugged into the power bush several times without disconnecting the tv from the trailer -- mostly when we would just be there one night. We haven't blown any fuses while doing that. on the other hand, we don't have most things on in the trailer when we are plugging in -- just the propane detector, and the clock on the stereo. Dave @ Escape had mentioned that some folks just leave the AC switch on the water heater on since it would only be used when plugged in, but I turn that off. So far, no blown fuses [knock on wood].

We had Escape install a surge protector in the trailer, so maybe that has something to do with it. It took me a while to figure out that there is a 2 minute 15 second delay after I turn the power on at the power bush before the trailer has power. Only two trips to different camp ground managers to ask why the power wasn't working, and then returning to say "oh, never mind...".
Now that's funny! But only because it happened to somebody else and not me.

Thanks for the chuckle......I'm sure I'll have more than my share of times at being the butt end of the joke. when we get our trailer.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

You know the nice thing about being totally new to the RV world (we had a few VW vanagons before nothing like The Lark) is that I don't mind being totally naive about things and asking silly questions. I am glad you enjoyed the humor.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Webster
You know the nice thing about being totally new to the RV world (we had a few VW vanagons before nothing like The Lark) is that I don't mind being totally naive about things and asking silly questions. I am glad you enjoyed the humor.
I'm right there with you Leon. It's actually kind of refreshing stepping off in to a world that I know absolutely nothing about and asking the newbie questions and admitting that I don't know......don't have the slightest clue about.