What size circuit at home for the Escape? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #11

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Ok you all lost me! can't you just run an extension cord from the house? is the problem that all those appliances would be too much ? So just the heat would be ok or just the refrigerator ? I'm just a little stupid about electricity.
See this for a decent introduction to RV power.
RV Electrical Systems
Especially the section titled "Figuring AC Electrical Requirements" for some real world numbers - and the ETI installed Dometic microwave DOES draw 1000 Watts. If you have the ETI installed surge/power protection/monitor you can see the number of amps being used on the display.

jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
the ETI installed Dometic microwave DOES draw 1000 Watts
Only 1000 watts? That's quite low. Is the electrical rating 1000 watts (corresponding to pehaps 800 W of electricity), or is the micrwave power 1000 watts, with a resulting larger value for electrical demand?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #13

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Only 1000 watts? That's quite low. Is the electrical rating 1000 watts (corresponding to pehaps 800 W of electricity), or is the micrwave power 1000 watts, with a resulting larger value for electrical demand?
It draws 8.3 amps per the spec sheet and has 700 watts microwave power.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I was obviously not proof-reading very well when I typed that!
Trying again:
Only 1000 watts? That's quite low. Is the electrical rating 1000 watts (corresponding to perhaps 800 W of microwaves), or is the microwave power 1000 watts, with a resulting larger value for electrical demand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
It draws 8.3 amps per the spec sheet and has 700 watts microwave power.
So it is a low-power model - thanks!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: abby... If anyone can blow a fuse it's ME!!! We use the 30 amp cable from the trailer and a step down connector for the receptacle in the garage.
I'm going to have our fuse panel changed out for a larger breaker panel with some extra spaces like one dedicated 30 amp for the trailer. This will be mega $$$$'s as the house has "Aluminium Wire" Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Bummer Alf. Luckily we have copper and enough room on the house panel to use two slots if need be for the 30A circuit. And with Jamman's attachments, I think I will be able to talk intelligently with my electrician (well faking it is more like it). Only down side is that it'll be over 75 feet from panel to outlet. I'm wondering if I'll need a thicker gauge wire than normal. Then another 40ft to the trailer. Good luck with your wiring job.

Glenn