What was the Solar Ready option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
What was the Solar Ready option

Just checked with ETI and Crystal said they no longer offer the 'Solar Ready' option.

Anyone get this before? I'm wondering exactly what was included/done for that option. If model specific I'm mostly wondering about the 19.

I'll be modding some kind of solar in future and just wondering for reference now.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I believe they ran the wiring from where the controller would be located to where they would feed through the roof to the panel, and from the controller to where the battery/batteries would be located.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
What if it is still included in a pending build sheet for 2015 delivery?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You're asking the wrong people, you need to go to ETI to find out what they're doing.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
What if it is still included in a pending build sheet for 2015 delivery?
Good question and probably only ETI can answer that. If they are dropping it I'd guess unless the build list is locked in they might not but...?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
1 year ago it was 2 single conductor cables run from the location of the battery (under the dinette in the 5.0TA) through the roof to the area where ETI normally installs the solar panel. The roof end is terminated with MC4 connectors, the battery area end was just cut off cables. Looks like #10 solar cable.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
1 year ago it was 2 single conductor cables run from the location of the battery (under the dinette in the 5.0TA) through the roof to the area where ETI normally installs the solar panel. The roof end is terminated with MC4 connectors, the battery area end was just cut off cables. Looks like #10 solar cable.
I was wondering if something basic like that. I can potentially run that myself at some point if can get wires pulled. For the 19 it would have to be from front storage box all the way back to rear.

Wonder why they don't offer that anymore. Probably with all the recent issue about panels coming off and them redesigning how mounting panels. May just not want any involvement unless they do the whole job?

Jeff
Old 06-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have seen time and time again that the best results are achieved when all options are added during the original build. If you are contemplating a solar panel in the future, have it installed when it is built and be finished with it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Salinas View Post
I was wondering if something basic like that. I can potentially run that myself at some point if can get wires pulled. For the 19 it would have to be from front storage box all the way back to rear.

Wonder why they don't offer that anymore. Probably with all the recent issue about panels coming off and them redesigning how mounting panels. May just not want any involvement unless they do the whole job?

Jeff
You want them run from the location of the solar controller to the panel/s. The last 19 I looked at the controller was in the dinette bench. You'd then need another pair of correctly sized cables from the controller to the batteries, or maybe they pick up the battery leads at the converter.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have seen time and time again that the best results are achieved when all options are added during the original build. If you are contemplating a solar panel in the future, have it installed when it is built and be finished with it. Loren
For most things I am doing that. For solar that was why I looked into the solar ready option.

I've been messing with solar for years, experiments etc before I did panels on my own house. I have several extra panels (some small some large) sitting around I could use, I like controllers other than the one they are putting in, plus have a Trimetric monitor I'll put in myself.

Probably end up doing a portable setup. Even considering doing something similar to what RVSue did with a panel on the TV

Jeff
Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
What's your opinion on one master inverter vs an inverter on each solar panel?
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #12

Are you asking about inverters or solar charger/controllers? I suspect the latter.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
What's your opinion on one master inverter vs an inverter on each solar panel?
If that question was directed to me and about inverters on house I set mine up with micro inverters on each panel.

After a certain array size the cost is more than one master inverter but the advantages I liked. Convert to AC at each panel so just AC runs to house. With one master inverter you have panels set up in series strings.

Any shade on any one panel and the whole string shuts down. You have to deal with large DC currents down to where your inverter is.

If one panel on mine is shaded it just shuts down and all the other panels keep producing. If an inverter goes bad I only lose that panel output till get replaced.

Jeff
Old 06-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
It was directed at Jeff and the answer is exactly my thnking as well. Now for the embarasing admission that the system jeff describes works for home solar but is not really applicable to trailering. Bob when you mentioned controllers I recognized that I had a Brian fa_t to ask that question. Jeff, thank for the response, Bob, sorry for the confusion, it's 39C here today and my brain had too much solar.
John David is offline   Reply With Quote