Why removable power cord? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
We don't have air conditioning or the microwave and boon dock 99% of the time. The only time we have need of a power cord is during the shoulder seasons when the solar can't keep up.

Went down to Home Depot and bought one of those winter extension cords that stay flexible in cold weather a made a couple different length power cords with the Merinco adapters from Amazon. The short one fits in a Gallon size ziplock, they take very little space and are easy to store. My Escape made cord is out in the shed awaiting the day we get a aircondioner installed. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like fat bikes!

Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #52

Trailer: Trailmanor
In my opinion, a removable cord is the way to go. We've had both and get fewer "visitors" with the removable cord.

Ruban&Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
We use a malleable rope caulk around the cord to seal the hole.
With the 19', if the cord gets tangled, that is a big problem to get to it. Makes more sense for someone with a 19' to get removeable than for a 21'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have an old Boler with a traditional fixed cord. The cord compartment under the dinette is separated from the rest of the space by thin plywood panels so there is no issue with tangling with other stuff - I think that should be a standard feature of this sort of cord storage. It can still be a pain to push the cord in and pull it out. Not ideal.

Our big fifth-wheel trailer has a separate detachable cord and an outside storage compartment which is convenient for it. This works well and avoids any pest entry issues, but it means hauling the whole cord out any time it is needed... and it's a 50-amp cord which is more than twice as heavy as the same length of 30-amp cord. Also not ideal.

My motorhome has the big heavy 50-amp cable, fixed. This would be ridiculous to stuff in a compartment through a little hole, but the fixed cord is in an outside accessible compartment (in the "basement") - the cord goes out a small hatch, and can be (must be) wrangled by opening the door. This actually works pretty well, but it would be easier if the compartment door had a notch so it closed on the cord, after taking out only what is needed. I actually bought a conversion kit to make it detachable, but decided that it wouldn't really be an improvement in that particular RV's installation. I might still notch the compartment lip at the bottom of the door opening.

The slickest solution might be a cord on a reel in a compartment with a door that could be closed on the cord. I've seen big Class A motorhomes and fifth-wheel trailers with power reels. That's pretty tall to fit in any Escape compartment, but could be mounted in a box on the rear bumper, or even in the front storage compartment.

A reasonable solution for an Escape might be to have a fixed cord in a compartment (presumably the stock location) with an outside hatch door and a notch in the edge of the door. The compartment would be dedicated to the cord (no tangling with anything else), sealed from the interior, and accessible for cord wrangling; the cord would be fixed (no expensive connectors, no easy theft) and all but the required amount could be left in the compartment. The notch needs a flap to close it when the cord is not out, as is common on small hatches for services.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #55

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Bugs and dirt did it for me. BTW my removable has a little blue power indicator LED at each end: a little upgrade from the previous model. I don't know if he attached one has that feature. When the trailer is just occupying driveway space I can tell at a glance whether my fridge is still getting power or if its sucking my propane tank dry.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Bugs and dirt did it for me. BTW my removable has a little blue power indicator LED at each end: a little upgrade from the previous model. I don't know if he attached one has that feature. When the trailer is just occupying driveway space I can tell at a glance whether my fridge is still getting power or if its sucking my propane tank dry.
An unknown upgrade by ETI? Please post a picture Dave, might be another reason to add that option to your build sheet.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #57

I was wrong about the colour. Blue light on the male end and red light on the female end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160914_175355_resized.jpg (87.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Was this standard or an upgrade on your build sheet?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #59

Removable Power Cord was a $150 option as stated on the website. No idea if mine was a one-off or now the standard. Just pleasantly surprised by both the LED's and the 90 degree plug at the trailer end.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #60

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
That looks completely different from the one I tested out when I was last up there. Wonder if it's easier to use than the one I tried. How is it for seating into place?

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote