Why removable power cord? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thanks for this information Robert . I will tell the truth now and am thinking of changing out the cord . On this last trip I had to crawl under bed and remove the divider , after removing everything under bed. . The cord was ,because of the cold in a knot and wouldn't pull out . Needless to say wasn't happy . On previous RV's would not have that problem because opening was bigger , with cord in a a container . Pat
We did have a problem pulling the cord out once before. Turns out it got wrapped around a broom handle. No biggie, and not the reason I'm doing the conversion either. I just think the conversion with the spring loaded Furrion cover with an LED will look really nice. Others have built a little wall or baffle so the cord doesn't go all over the place when it's stored, but to me, the detachable cord conversion is less work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 12:03 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We did have a problem pulling the cord out once before. Turns out it got wrapped around a broom handle. No biggie, and not the reason I'm doing the conversion either. I just think the conversion with the spring loaded Furrion cover with an LED will look really nice. Others have built a little wall or baffle so the cord doesn't go all over the place when it's stored, but to me, the detachable cord conversion is less work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That's kind of what I did Robert , built a divider to contain cord , which worked until this trip . The cord because of the cold was stiff and knotted up . I think what you posted will look real nice and solve that from happening again . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I went with the removable cord on my 21 after reading comments about its great wonders. To me, it's a useless upgrade, the benefits of which I'm trying to understand.

Standard power cord is plenty adequate.

G
Old 09-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I went with the removable cord on my 21 after reading comments about its great wonders. To me, it's a useless upgrade, the benefits of which I'm trying to understand.

Standard power cord is plenty adequate.

G
Hi Gregg . I have had zero problems until this last trip . If I can figure something else out I guess I will . You never in all your travels had the cord from the cold harden and then knot up ? If I could have a better way to reach in like I have had on previous RV 's with a larger hatch , and cord in a closed to trailer containment box as I have had before so no mouse worries that would be my ideal . So you vote no on the removable cord ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #45

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Just don't see a point with it. My idea was to save the cord storage space for some greater purpose but the space, at least on my 21, wouldn't have been of much value anyway.

If I were to go thru the order process again, I'd have saved the money and stayed with the standard cord. Mice, never had a problem before, just keep the access door closed.

G
Old 09-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Just don't see a point with it. My idea was to save the cord storage space for some greater purpose but the space, at least on my 21, wouldn't have been of much value anyway.

If I were to go thru the order process again, I'd have saved the money and stayed with the standard cord. Mice, never had a problem before, just keep the access door closed. G
Hi: Greggo... Earwigs marching up the attached power cord convinced me to get a detachable one. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Mice were a problem for us with our Casita. I assume they walked up the power cord, chewed through the door, and started the process of nesting-but I caught them before they did any real damage inside the trailer. So when we were able to get the removable cord, I was delighted.

Also was delighted this last weekend, when it was pouring rain as we were getting ready to leave the campsite, that I could unhook the cord and throw it in the back of the pickup, instead of pushing it in the Escape wet and dirty. To me, it's wonderful!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ants were our nemesis with the standard power cord. Always have removable now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Mice had been a problem for us in our last trailer, so when I saw the option of the removable power cord, didn't even think twice!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Greg is the first person I have heard of to go to a removable yet still prefers the fixed. That is good to hear though.

Going from the fixed to the removable on my 19, for me and our style, was one of the best mods I did. For me, it was not primarily for the critter protection, it was for the ease of use. Putting both away takes about the same time, but a few times with the fixed the cord got tangled, and when it was cold it was a pain in the butt to stow and I broke of some of the wee fingers inside.

I mentioned before, but will again, that with my temp trailer I have the fixed type. I am not going to change it on a trailer I am selling in the spring, but it certainly reminds me of how much of a pain it is. It is even worse for getting tangled than the one on the 19 was, because it stows under a couch that has easy access and is where we stow lots of the outdoor stuff.

But, as I also said before, both will work just as well as each other in letting you enjoy a wonderful camping experience.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We don't have air conditioning or the microwave and boon dock 99% of the time. The only time we have need of a power cord is during the shoulder seasons when the solar can't keep up.

Went down to Home Depot and bought one of those winter extension cords that stay flexible in cold weather a made a couple different length power cords with the Merinco adapters from Amazon. The short one fits in a Gallon size ziplock, they take very little space and are easy to store. My Escape made cord is out in the shed awaiting the day we get a aircondioner installed. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like fat bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #52

Trailer: 2008 Eggcamper
In my opinion, a removable cord is the way to go. We've had both and get fewer "visitors" with the removable cord.
Ruban&Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We use a malleable rope caulk around the cord to seal the hole.
With the 19', if the cord gets tangled, that is a big problem to get to it. Makes more sense for someone with a 19' to get removeable than for a 21'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have an old Boler with a traditional fixed cord. The cord compartment under the dinette is separated from the rest of the space by thin plywood panels so there is no issue with tangling with other stuff - I think that should be a standard feature of this sort of cord storage. It can still be a pain to push the cord in and pull it out. Not ideal.

Our big fifth-wheel trailer has a separate detachable cord and an outside storage compartment which is convenient for it. This works well and avoids any pest entry issues, but it means hauling the whole cord out any time it is needed... and it's a 50-amp cord which is more than twice as heavy as the same length of 30-amp cord. Also not ideal.

My motorhome has the big heavy 50-amp cable, fixed. This would be ridiculous to stuff in a compartment through a little hole, but the fixed cord is in an outside accessible compartment (in the "basement") - the cord goes out a small hatch, and can be (must be) wrangled by opening the door. This actually works pretty well, but it would be easier if the compartment door had a notch so it closed on the cord, after taking out only what is needed. I actually bought a conversion kit to make it detachable, but decided that it wouldn't really be an improvement in that particular RV's installation. I might still notch the compartment lip at the bottom of the door opening.

The slickest solution might be a cord on a reel in a compartment with a door that could be closed on the cord. I've seen big Class A motorhomes and fifth-wheel trailers with power reels. That's pretty tall to fit in any Escape compartment, but could be mounted in a box on the rear bumper, or even in the front storage compartment.

A reasonable solution for an Escape might be to have a fixed cord in a compartment (presumably the stock location) with an outside hatch door and a notch in the edge of the door. The compartment would be dedicated to the cord (no tangling with anything else), sealed from the interior, and accessible for cord wrangling; the cord would be fixed (no expensive connectors, no easy theft) and all but the required amount could be left in the compartment. The notch needs a flap to close it when the cord is not out, as is common on small hatches for services.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #55

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Bugs and dirt did it for me. BTW my removable has a little blue power indicator LED at each end: a little upgrade from the previous model. I don't know if he attached one has that feature. When the trailer is just occupying driveway space I can tell at a glance whether my fridge is still getting power or if its sucking my propane tank dry.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Bugs and dirt did it for me. BTW my removable has a little blue power indicator LED at each end: a little upgrade from the previous model. I don't know if he attached one has that feature. When the trailer is just occupying driveway space I can tell at a glance whether my fridge is still getting power or if its sucking my propane tank dry.
An unknown upgrade by ETI? Please post a picture Dave, might be another reason to add that option to your build sheet.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #57

I was wrong about the colour. Blue light on the male end and red light on the female end.
Attached Thumbnails
20160914_175355_resized.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Was this standard or an upgrade on your build sheet?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #59

Removable Power Cord was a $150 option as stated on the website. No idea if mine was a one-off or now the standard. Just pleasantly surprised by both the LED's and the 90 degree plug at the trailer end.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #60

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
That looks completely different from the one I tested out when I was last up there. Wonder if it's easier to use than the one I tried. How is it for seating into place?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote