Why Twin 6V? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #61

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Thank you! I only bought it to charge up a cell phone, tablet, iPod, laptop, or e-reader, none of which I have. But one never knows what the future holds.

If you are only using these devices (other than the laptop) then your best bet is to get 12 volt adapters for them. The i-pod/pad use USB and 12volt to 5volt USB adapters are cheap; virtually all phones have 12volt adapters available.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #62

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
[QUOTEI wonder if Escape would install that at build time as a custom option?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Reace would. He pulled two 3 gauge power feed lines for the inverter I installed after receiving the trailer.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Thanks

You all have so incredibly helpful, thank you so much. I've learned a ton.
pkgman51
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #64

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
You all have so incredibly helpful, thank you so much. I've learned a ton.
pkgman51
I, on the other hand, now have a brain cramp.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #65

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I then ran #10 wire (with a 30 amp breaker) between the inverter & the converter.
Hi, I'm reading and re-reading posts on batteries, inverters, solar, etc., trying to get a grasp on things. I don't yet have a good grasp, but something in your post jumped out at me so I thought I'd ask about it. It's a little out of context, but I'm just trying to piece together all the little bits of info floating around in my noggin'.

One of the oft referenced links, I think "The 12V Side of Life I", states something like it's best to replace your converter with a 3 stage charger if you use an inverter. You seem to have retained your converter with your inverter. So, since you seem to be well on top of all things electrical, it seems like the converter/inverter combo is fine? j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The WFCO converter supplied by Escape is a 3 stage converter, however it does not have the best reputation for staying in the Bulk (fastest charging) mode as long as some other converters. If you spend most of your time plugged into a power bush, it will not be a problem, but if you dry camp and depend on a generator to recharge your batteries, it will take longer at the 13.6V Absorption mode than another converter that spends more time in the 14.4V Bulk mode.

If you have the GoPower solar option. it is a 4 stage charger & equalizes the batteries every 28 days. This is good in that it tends to make them last longer. Some brands of converters are also 4 stage. You can check out the various brands & options at Best Converter.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #67

Thanks for the info. What I think it means to me is:

1. I should've worked harder at my foreign language classes!

2. if I hypothetically get dual 6v, solar, and an inverter, and I spend my time camping without plugins, the GoPower charger will be a good solution for my charging needs? ( I assume the WFCO converter is not also included - I would think 2 chargers are not necessarily needed).

j
Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #68

The solar panel and controller is an option, and works with your converter. Since the converter is used for your AC circuit breakers and your 12V fuses, even if you never plug into campground power, it is necessaey. No problem running both.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #69

I don't think you got that right...the converter is not actually needed if you never plug into 120VAC or don't want to charge batteries while plugged in. The WFCO panel includes the circuit breakers and fuses. The converter does not. However, Escape Trailers comes standard with both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The solar panel and controller is an option, and works with your converter. Since the converter is used for your AC circuit breakers and your 12V fuses, even if you never plug into campground power, it is necessaey. No problem running both.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #70

Thanks for the help, learning as I go here. j
Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My head hurts thinking about all this... I think my brain is bleeding! I think I'm going to get one battery... the big one on the option list. No solar, no generator and if I ever decide to boondock, I'm going to park next to Jon V. and run over in the morning with my Mr. Coffee and plug into his exterior outlet!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My head hurts thinking about all this... I think my brain is bleeding!
You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm learning as I go here, I'm just not learning very much or very quickly! j
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #73

I think the way to simplify the whole discussion is to ask yourself how you plan (now or in the future) to use the trailer.

1. The WFCO Domestic Panel comes with a converter so is is really not up for discussion and you would want a converter in the trailer if you ever wanted to sell it in the future. If you want to upgrade the converter to a 4-stage unit then decide later. It is a bolt-in swap out that takes less than an hour.

2. The question regarding dual batteries and solar have to do exclusively with boon-docking. Are you going to do boon-docking or not? If so will it be for days at a time? If so you need more-than-normal battery capacity and a way to recharge those batteries while off-line; an extra battery and solar is a definite plus.

If you are ever in the future going with solar and you would want to roof-mount the panel(s) is is best to have Escape make the roof penetration and install the controller and a panel when you buy it new. Adding a second panel only requires installing a second roof mount with the second panel and then plugging it into the first panel; no roof penetration or anything else needed.

Note: I need to add that with the solar, batteries and inverter that I have I take great pride in never, ever needing to have to run a generator which for me is important.

I hope this helps!

Steve
Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #74

Thanks for breaking it down succinctly, Steve. I think you've got 4 X 6v, plus 2 x rooftop solars? pretty sweet.... j

For our camping, we will utilize the dual 6v and solar. Just trying to sort out the inverter and charger issues, and also I suppose I'm contemplating all the posts I've read which describe some of the stock wire gauges as inadequate. j
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #75

Jamie, don't get too hung up about wire sizes. Escape uses 10 gauge wire from the solar panel(s) to the controller and then to the battery. You don't need bigger. Where you want big wire is if you are going to permanently install an inverter. Inverters like really big wire coming from the battery and the wires should be as short as possible. Mine are 3 gauge 3 feet long for my 2500 watt inverter. All other wires are reasonable size. Wires from the inverter to the trailer can be standard size wires run to the outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Thanks for breaking it down succinctly, Steve. I think you've got 4 X 6v, plus 2 x rooftop solars? pretty sweet.... j

For our camping, we will utilize the dual 6v and solar. Just trying to sort out the inverter and charger issues, and also I suppose I'm contemplating all the posts I've read which describe some of the stock wire gauges as inadequate. j
Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
For the wires from the batteries to the inverter.... Do you have to spec them out yourself (ask Escape to use larger wire) or, dose Escape upgrade to the 3 gauge themselves?
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #77

The inverter specifications stated the supply wire sizes required based on wire length. 3 gauge was required for that wire length so I supplied that info to Reace and he accommodated me. The unterminated wires were run from the front box where my batteries are located to the power distribution area under the driver's side dinette seat; about a 3' run. I then installed the inverter myself at a later date and terminated the wires appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
For the wires from the batteries to the inverter.... Do you have to spec them out yourself (ask Escape to use larger wire) or, dose Escape upgrade to the 3 gauge themselves?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Jamie, don't get too hung up about wire sizes. Escape uses 10 gauge wire from the solar panel(s) to the controller and then to the battery. You don't need bigger. Where you want big wire is if you are going to permanently install an inverter. Inverters like really big wire coming from the battery and the wires should be as short as possible. Mine are 3 gauge 3 feet long for my 2500 watt inverter. All other wires are reasonable size. Wires from the inverter to the trailer can be standard size wires run to the outlets.
Thanks very much for spending your time sharing your info. j
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My head hurts thinking about all this... I think my brain is bleeding! I think I'm going to get one battery... the big one on the option list. No solar, no generator and if I ever decide to boondock, I'm going to park next to Jon V. and run over in the morning with my Mr. Coffee and plug into his exterior outlet!
Are you absolutely sure that you do not want to boondock? You know you would do better with 6Vs for that. Also, if you ever need to take out the batteries for anything, 6Vs are a whopping 65-70 lbs. I hate to think about the 12Vs. A forklift would be nice. We have needed Jon a bunch of times and he is just never around!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #80

Hey, Hey, I'm on the road. There are a bunch of advantages to a pair of 6V batteries, however if you never dry camp the only one I can figure is to reduce tongue weight. That 130 lbs on the back bumper helps me keep the tongue weight within reason towing with a RAV4...

And, by the way Donna, you are welcome to plug into my outside receptacle when boondocking, however it won't do much good. I wired my inverter to a separate interior receptacle rather than installing a transfer relay. You will just have to stop by for coffee made inside!