Why Twin 6V? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #121

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm not sure which is worse. The noise of the generator ( and I have a quiet Honda 1,000 ) or the noise generated when my wife complains that I am running the generator.
Now that's funny! I don't care who you are.

So, even a very quiet Honda generator can be a noise issue and may not be allowable in some campgrounds. I never thought about that. I can certainly understand why those regulations should be in place. Certainly, something to consider.

So, the pendulum swings back towards the solar/inverter option. Hmmm. Good thing I don't have to decide for another 6 months or so. I'm scheduled for a May delivery.

Thanks again.
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #122

So, let me get this straight.

With the twin 6V batteries, ETI's 160w solar setup and a 1500w inverter, I can run a TV/receiver/DVR, coffee grinder, coffee maker, electric shaver, and charge phones, computers, etc. I may even be able to run a microwave oven, but maybe not for very long (say no longer than 15 minutes?).These can't all be run at the same time. But, by monitoring my usage, I still should have no problem staying off the grid for extended periods of time. Does this sound about right?

Oh yeah, I can't run an A/C unit.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #123

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can replace the coffee maker ( which draws a lot of power ) with a simple cone filter and thermos. Heat the water in a kettle on the propane stove and pour it through the grounds. You have the time. You are camping. This will also open up a lot of counter space that would be occupied by a coffee maker.

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Manual-Co.../dp/B000BUDDTY
Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #124

Yup. That's the way I make my coffee when I tent camp, like I now do. No reason to change the routine. I'm just trying to understand the limitations of the different systems.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can replace the coffee maker ( which draws a lot of power ) with a simple cone filter and thermos. Heat the water in a kettle on the propane stove and pour it through the grounds. You have the time. You are camping. This will also open up a lot of counter space that would be occupied by a coffee maker.

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Manual-Co.../dp/B000BUDDTY

The Coffee must be ready when I wake up it is far safer for everyone around me. Lol "Put The Coffee And Chocolate Down And Back Away Slowly And No One Gets Hurt" !! Lol

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #126

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
The dual 6V are 232 Ahrs, you one 15 min microwave run at 130a used 32.5 Ahrs. That is fourteen percent of you capacity. A rule of thumb for batteries is only remove 50% of capacity to get the most live out of them. When operating within this rule you will have used 28% of your battery. That could be more than you can replace in a day.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #127

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you are only using 12v appliances the new ETI 160 watt solar package with a single group 29 battery should get you thru the night and the next day you will be recharged before breakfast.
Not to be too picky, but If you get a real battery monitor such as a Bogart Engineering's Trimetric TM2030 that measures actual amp hours out & in, I think you will discover that after a typical night of reading a bit (even with LED lighting), recharging a laptop & phone, and running the furnace a couple of cycles, in short, doing the normal things we do after dark, that it will take longer than even a late brunch before the solar panel brings the batteries back to full.

At best, under ideal conditions, you can expect no more than 30 amp hours per day per 100 watts, and that is with the panel(s) perpendicular to the sun. A typical roof top panel rarely produces anywhere near its rated output. The problem is the monitor in the GoPower controller does not measure amp hours, it measures voltage. It (and the LED strip built into the trailer's monitor panel) will give a false reading of the state of charge of your batteries. As I've mentioned in other posts, I often see a reading of 100% on the monitors while I still have a deficit of 30 or more amp hours. As long as you do additional recharging by driving to the next campsite or stop for an overnight at a location with a power pedestal, you will probably never notice the deficit, however stay in one place without hookups for long enough & it adds up.

Obviously, how long it takes to fully recharge your batteries depends on how far you depleted them, but don't believe the GoPower percent reading!

One more point - if you are not following it, check out the "Is Your Battery Really Charged" thread for more info.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #128

Jon - I hear what you and others are saying. Slowly, but surely, it is starting to make some sense to me. Thank you!!!!!

TM/SC - 2030 is another $300. Man, it just keeps adding up. I don't suppose ETI offers such an upgrade, so it would be something to do down the road. I ride dirt bikes and they are money pits. I never expected getting a camping trailer would be yet another one, but it's sure starting to look that way. Thank goodness I don't have a boat.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #129

Trailer: Previous 2015 15 ft & 2016 19 ft now 2021 19 ft
We're just finalizing our build sheet for a new Escape 15b and trying to decide on the Inverter installation. We plan to dry camp almost exclusively but since we both take lots of pictures and we both use GPS'es for hiking and caching we tend to be re-charging batteries a lot. We also plan to do a long trip across Canada when we retire so will be living in the Escape for an extended period of time; we both have laptops and iPhones that will also need charging along the way. We're thinking we'll need the inverter for that reason but we don't completely understand the consequences of wiring all four 120V receptacles in the trailer to the inverter.
Would that mean those receptacles must always receive power via the inverter from the battery or would those receptacles still receive power from an external source if we did stopped at a powered campsite and plugged in? Basically, the question is, can they work either way once they've been wired to the inverter?
JabberwockJazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
One more point - if you are not following it, check out the "Is Your Battery Really Charged" thread for more info.
I read all the posts on the battery charging link, including Handy Bob's Blog. Whew! I need a rest. It definitely sounds like there are better options out there for charging and monitoring the batteries than those included with the Escape. It would be nice if ETI would substitute the Morningstar products when building my Escape. I imagine that is not going to happen.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #131

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
The option that lets you use all outlets with either power source (shore power or inverter) is called a Transfer Switch.

If you order an inverter without a transfer switch, then the inverter will only power one of your outlets--or maybe only one of the two receptacles in a duplex outlet--and that one won't get shore power when you plug in to a current bush. All the rest of your outlets would be shore-power only. And that may work fine for you if you just want the inverter for charging gadgets.

If you want to be able to use all four outlets with either power source... get a transfer switch too.

I believe you can, alternatively, skip the inverter altogether and charge most of those gadgets using 12-volt adapters (which cost less than an inverter and are more efficient). That's what we're planning to do, YMMV.

If I've got this wrong, I'm certain we'll know in only moments. :-)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #132

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabberwockJazzy View Post
...we both have laptops and iPhones that will also need charging along the way. We're thinking we'll need the inverter for that reason...
Unless one is planning on using a hair dryer, coffee maker or some other high-draw appliance, I fail to understand why an expensive inverter is needed. Granted, my needs are small but a portable (and inexpensive) inverter like this one covers all my charging needs...

Edited: Or above as per drpaddle!
Attached Thumbnails
51vqBRujvAL.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #133

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I do not have an inverter, I charge cameras, flash, iPhone, iPad, GPS, flashing lights for bicycle, run a CPAP, laptop and electric fan and anything else I can think of. In my mind an inverter is not necessary unless you have some very specific need that will not work on 12 volt. There is 12 volt for just about everything, I even have a 12 volt clock with easy to read night time LCD display. Made for truckers.

Then, if you absolutely have to have that 110 appliance while boondocking, ask your self how much boondocking will you actually do, and what will be your cost per use by having an inverter.

I think a better question is how many 12 volt outlets and where. The more the merrier. Here is the best device I ever purchased, works especially well with Apple devices, in that it charges them quickly. Has an Android socket as well for all other devices.

PowerGen White Dual USB 4.2A (20W) Car charger
Attached Thumbnails
12 volt charger.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #134

Trailer: 21' Escape to be hatched March, 10, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
The option that lets you use all outlets with either power source (shore power or inverter) is called a Transfer Switch

If you want to be able to use all four outlets with either power source... get a transfer switch too.

I believe you can, alternatively, skip the inverter altogether and charge most of those gadgets using 12-volt adapters (which cost less than an inverter and are more efficient). That's what we're planning to do, YMMV.

If I've got this wrong, I'm certain we'll know in only moments. :-)
Sorry to go off thread. Love those cairn terriers in your profile pic! We have a red one with an interesting story. Someone found him crying in a field...hit by a car. A lady who runs a small dog rescue took him, got him to a vet and saved him. My husband got a call from our poodle groomer and said he needed a foster home to recover in...well one look and he was ours.
Fellow Toto lovers!
Catmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #135

Trailer: 21' Escape to be hatched March, 10, 2015
Winston, the cairn
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Catmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #136

We love those two cairn terriers, too -- probably way too much. They're a big reason we're getting our Escape. Tired of dingy dog-friendly motel rooms when we want to go somewhere with them. We hope they like the new sleeping quarters -- they WILL make it interesting. :-)
Old 08-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #137

Winston looks like a charmer. We'd better tie this into the thread. Are cairn terriers rechargeable at 12 volts or must we get an inverter?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #138
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Winston looks like a charmer. We'd better tie this into the thread. Are cairn terriers rechargeable at 12 volts or must we get an inverter?
Nice segway.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #139

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i think cairn terriers are an energy source- love them had one years ago.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #140

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I do not have an inverter, I charge cameras, flash, iPhone, iPad, GPS, flashing lights for bicycle, run a CPAP, laptop and electric fan and anything else I can think of. In my mind an inverter is not necessary unless you have some very specific need that will not work on 12 volt. There is 12 volt for just about everything, I even have a 12 volt clock with easy to read night time LCD display. Made for truckers.

Then, if you absolutely have to have that 110 appliance while boondocking, ask your self how much boondocking will you actually do, and what will be your cost per use by having an inverter.

I think a better question is how many 12 volt outlets and where. The more the merrier. Here is the best device I ever purchased, works especially well with Apple devices, in that it charges them quickly. Has an Android socket as well for all other devices.

PowerGen White Dual USB 4.2A (20W) Car charger

Thank you for posting this, Paul. Just the info we needed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote