Why Twin 6V? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #81

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Also, if you ever need to take out the batteries for anything, 6Vs are a whopping 65-70 lbs. I hate to think about the 12Vs. A forklift would be nice.!
The unit weight is big issue and a good point to consider, but 12V batteries holding the same energy would be the same weight. This is the reason for sets of batteries: the common sizes are about what a service person can reasonably lift in and out of the equipment (car, truck, trailer, golf cart, UPS, whatever...), and if you need more energy stored you put in more of them. They can be in parallel (adding up their current capacities) or in series (adding up their voltages), but the total weight of the system is the same either way. It's basically a matter of how much lead you need to store the desired energy. Since a set of batteries in series is easier to manage than a set in parallel, sets are usually done in series (in RVs, in golf carts, whatever...).

Today's battery trivia:
I've been hearing since I got interested in RVs that golf carts (which the people who sell them call golf cars) use 6-volt batteries. One day I checked out the first three major brands I could find online: all use 48V motors, and in all cases the standard configuration was six 8-volt batteries in series... not 6-volt at all. It's just that of the available golf cart batteries - Trojan for instance carries 6-volt, 8-volt, and 12-volt - only the 6-volt ones are of interest to us in RVs because we want a 12-volt system (can't make that from any number of 8-volt batteries!)
Moral: there's nothing special about 6 volts, but if you want to split up lead into two boxes, 6V works.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Excuses, excuses, Jon!. Of course, you are the exception with those batts on the rear as most need more weight up front.

We actually passed by that bar near Las Cruces and wouldn't you know it was a Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Hey, Hey, I'm on the road. There are a bunch of advantages to a pair of 6V batteries, however if you never dry camp the only one I can figure is to reduce tongue weight. That 130 lbs on the back bumper helps me keep the tongue weight within reason towing with a RAV4...

And, by the way Donna, you are welcome to plug into my outside receptacle when boondocking, however it won't do much good. I wired my inverter to a separate interior receptacle rather than installing a transfer relay. You will just have to stop by for coffee made inside!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Excuses, excuses, Jon!. Of course, you are the exception with those batts on the rear as most need more weight up front.

We actually passed by that bar near Las Cruces and wouldn't you know it was a Sunday.
If it is Choppes, it is in La Mesa and I did the same for the 3rd time. The replacement "T" shirt is not to be!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #84

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My head hurts thinking about all this... I think my brain is bleeding! I think I'm going to get one battery... the big one on the option list. No solar, no generator and if I ever decide to boondock, I'm going to park next to Jon V. and run over in the morning with my Mr. Coffee and plug into his exterior outlet!
Hi Donna,

I can appreciate your frustration. We take delivery of our 5.0 TA at the end of April and I have been going through as many posts as possible. Although the info is very informative, the bottom line is that with all the options that Escape allows, one has to make choices to suit their own needs. The challenge is to sort through all of the posters' expertise and experiences and apply them to one's own needs.

For what it is worth, my background is telecom engineering, so regarding this topic of batteries I suggest the following to you... order the two 6V batteries, the 1500W inverter and of course, you will get Escapes's regular converter... and yes, it will work!!!

If you don't want to make a commitment on solar at this time... no problem. Just order the solar ready (roof version, wiring only) for future resale value and/or either install one later if you want that type or get the portable panels kits from either the dealers of Greenergy Tecnologies or Carmanah. You can plug these into your trailer's seven pin connector (just, plug & charge).

This, I believe, subscribes to the "KISS" formula...

Hope this helps...

Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Larry! That's very similar to the advice Jim has given me through PMs. As a single traveler and someone who's old enough to be retired, it's doubtful I'll ever spend much time as a boondocker. The all molded towable Quartzite gathering is on my bucket list. But, I figure I can use the trailer as a hard-sided tent for a week without suffering. Rather than spend money on options that I'll never use, or use so infrequently, and there are other alternatives, I'd rather spend the money on different options... like maybe an oven instead of solar!

Fortunately, I still have months to decide.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
[QUOTE=Brian B-P;37228]The unit weight is big issue and a good point to consider, but 12V batteries holding the same energy would be the same weight.

Brian, you are right but I thought I recalled someone saying that his 12V weighed 128 lbs. I understand that they can be heavier than the 6Vs.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #87

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Yes, different options for different needs! 95% of our camping is dry/boondocking so I can't imagine going without the dual 6v and solar.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #88

Quote:
... I thought I recalled someone saying that his 12V weighed 128 lbs. I understand that they can be heavier than the 6Vs.
All voltages come in various sizes. Perhaps 128 lbs was the total for a pair of batteries? Even 12V can be used in pairs (in parallel).

The stock Escape 12V size is generally a group 27; this size of deep-cycle battery typically weighs about 55 pounds. A common larger 12V size is a group 31, which might be about 70 pounds. There are enormous 12V sizes such as the "8D" used in some heavy equipment - that's about 170 pounds and both the electrical capacity and physical dimensions of two common 6V "golf cart" batteries together, and there's probably a size around 128 pounds as well. Occasionally someone uses one of these in an RV, but I don't recall hearing of one in an Escape. You could, but you'll want that forklift...
Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
Yes, different options for different needs! 95% of our camping is dry/boondocking so I can't imagine going without the dual 6v and solar.
That is about the same percentage boondocking we do, and most of it in temps that are cooler and often down below freezing, and find that the dual 6V have great capacity, but solar was not really needed.

We did add a 40W portable to our gear this year, but never brought it along until late fall when the heater ran more. It does help keep the batteries topped up, but with the dual 6V we never had the voltage drop too low before we had it. It is a nice backup, as sometimes it will not even come along, and only needs to be set up during cold weather.

What it comes down to though is camping style, and the amount of electrical draw your style requires.

One thing in our favour though, is we do not use a converter for anything, and only turn the furnace on a short while before bed set at 8-9°C. We do pop it up a bit in the morning as we get ready to go out for the day. Our LED lights are rarely on, and when they are draw very little. The only other draw at all is the water pump, and that does not run too much either. Oh yeah, we do sometimes charge our phones too.

Other than one couple that are good friends, and have lots of solar plus an onboard diesel generator, the other folks that we regularly camp with (about 12 other families), they all camp with similar style to use. We always have a campfire in the evening keeping us away from our trailers, and often pass a wee bottle or two around for added warmth.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #90

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
AAhh, good ole' Canadian antifreeze works wonders.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What it comes down to though is camping style, and the amount of electrical draw your style requires.

One thing in our favour though, is we do not use a converter for anything...
Jim, since you're tslking about draw on the battery, did you mean inverter (rather than converter)?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Jim, since you're tslking about draw on the battery, did you mean inverter (rather than converter)?
Of course I did, silly. I was just testing y'all.
(plus, I was very tired from a couple long, hard days work when I posted)
And, it is true, I don't use my converter while boondocking.

How's that for a load of BS excuses? LOL
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #93

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Of course I did, silly. I was just testing y'all.
(plus, I was very tired from a couple long, hard days work when I posted)
And, it is true, I don't use my converter while boondocking.

How's that for a load of BS excuses? LOL
Well said.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #94

Trailer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post

If you are ever in the future going with solar and you would want to roof-mount the panel(s) is is best to have Escape make the roof penetration and install the controller and a panel when you buy it new. Adding a second panel only requires installing a second roof mount with the second panel and then plugging it into the first panel; no roof penetration or anything else needed.
Is Escape now making the mounts with roof penetration bolts? In the past, I thought I read the solar mounts were installed with epoxy, thanks.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #95

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Escape use a 2 part epoxy for the roof mounts. No screws or bolts. The roof penetration I mentioned is regarding the wire run into the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Is Escape now making the mounts with roof penetration bolts? In the past, I thought I read the solar mounts were installed with epoxy, thanks.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #96

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I am revising an older thread on twin 6 volt batteries. I happened to be looking at the costs of a 2014 15 B vs. mine from one year ago. Many items have gone up but choosing 2 6V batteries now costs $50 as opposed to $200 a year ago. Anyone know why this one item would drop significantly while almost every other item has increased? Has everyone noted that custom formica and custom fabric is now $100 each as opposed to $40 a year ago?

But back to the batteries… any idea why the significant drop??
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #97
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tim, my build sheet for my 5er states the upcharge for the 2 6v batteries is (still) $200. I don't know about the upholstery or formica, other than it is what it is and I WANT IT! However, it could be that ETI is trying to discourage that customization or there are bigger increases to them (for the Formica) when buying in small quantities. It seems every single custom trailer is choosing a different Formica. Me too! All products every where are going up in price. When was the last time you went to Lowes and priced a product you looked at six months ago. YEOW.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #98

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I noticed that about the batteries also and was very surprised. I suspect that the increase in custom laminate and fabric charges reflect inventory issues. Just ordering (in the case of the laminate), storing, and handling custom items for a specific trailer has got to be very time consuming in the manufacturing process.

Addendum: It seems that it's only been in the last year or so that custom fabrics and laminate have become so much more popular; perhaps ETI is just now realizing how very expensive it is to process these orders.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #99

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I am revising an older thread on twin 6 volt batteries. I happened to be looking at the costs of a 2014 15 B vs. mine from one year ago. Many items have gone up but choosing 2 6V batteries now costs $50 as opposed to $200 a year ago. Anyone know why this one item would drop significantly while almost every other item has increased? Has everyone noted that custom formica and custom fabric is now $100 each as opposed to $40 a year ago?

But back to the batteries… any idea why the significant drop??
It looks like its a mistake - option price for a group 29 battery is $50, dual 6 volts is $200 on the 21' price list.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #100

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, a typo….