2015 Trip Report, Escape 21 & Honda Ridgeline - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Having mostly grown up in the DC area I don't have any interest in living there any longer, but it is an incredible destination to tour. We buried my Dad and Mom two years ago at Arlington Nat Cemetery and you could spend lots of time just seeing the cemetery and all the history in there. The museums and tours would take months to cover everything that is in just downtown DC, let alone Alexandria, Mt Vernon, Georgetown, and all the surrounding areas. The Metro makes getting around easy, we just parked our car the entire week we were there. We have never camped there, so not sure of the campgrounds but I'm sure there are good options. If you have any interest in History, this is one destination you don't want to miss.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
We stayed at: Greenbelt Campground, 6565 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt, MD 20770. It was about 20 miles away from downtown DC . It was also within a very few miles of a park-and-ride for the metro into town. There was even a trail that led to a metro stop, but it was raining so hard when we were there that we didn't take it. The cost of the park was very reasonable and they except the "Geezer" pass.

We tried covering half of the external vents on the fridge but that didn't seem to help. Shouldn't we get an alarm if the gas blows out? The only time we got an alarm was when we ran out of gas. We also pulled the thermister out of it's holder and let it hang. I put a loop in the line leading to the drain cup which acts like a "J" trap. The doors showed condensation in-line with the latches on both doors indicating a lack of insulation there, but that's it. Both doors are solid, NOW, so I don't know what's going on, YET. When parked it seems to do fine.

Tom

TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Thanks Tom for the campground info.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Tom, what was your hitch setup for this trip? I own a Ridgeline and am picking up our new 21' at the end of the year. I know some Ridgeline owners get WDHs and others don't.

My wife and I did a similar trip 3years back with our T@B. Great fun isn't it!

Stacey
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
We stayed at: Greenbelt Campground, 6565 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt, MD 20770. It was about 20 miles away from downtown DC . It was also within a very few miles of a park-and-ride for the metro into town. There was even a trail that led to a metro stop, but it was raining so hard when we were there that we didn't take it. The cost of the park was very reasonable and they except the "Geezer" pass.

We tried covering half of the external vents on the fridge but that didn't seem to help. Shouldn't we get an alarm if the gas blows out? The only time we got an alarm was when we ran out of gas. We also pulled the thermister out of it's holder and let it hang. I put a loop in the line leading to the drain cup which acts like a "J" trap. The doors showed condensation in-line with the latches on both doors indicating a lack of insulation there, but that's it. Both doors are solid, NOW, so I don't know what's going on, YET. When parked it seems to do fine.

Tom
Do you have a "max and min" thermometer that you can see if the temperature rises? Mine worked fine sitting still but rose while towing until I covered 2 of the 6 vents with material. Seems like you have done everything else. Also the fridge fix for the interior may help with the condensation on the doors.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:00 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Thanks Tom for the campground info.
Not sure if this is the same place....
Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park
Old 11-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Regarding the outside refrigerator vent, I have resorted to using a closed cell foam that I fashioned to fit the inside of the lower outside door. I would guess it seals the area about 95%. It needs to be removed when stopped for an overnight unless temperatures are below 50.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Cherry Hill is a fairly expensive commercial campground in College Park. Some advantages are full hookups & bus service from the campground to the nearest Metro station. It generally gets great reviews at RV Park Reviews, although I haven't stayed there myself.

Greenbelt National Park (reviews) is a huge park just a couple of miles away from Cherry Hill, however it is dry camping (some of the bathrooms do have showers). Most of the sites are shaded, many pull throughs. I stayed for a couple of nights at $8.00 per night with the Senior Pass. Depending on which campground (there is more than one in the park) & where in the campground, the walk to the Metro can be quite long - 1/2 hour or more.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
It generally gets great reviews at RV Park Reviews, although I haven't stayed there myself.
I really like and use RV Park reviews regularly and lately have been contributing reviews as well. It's a good way to learn about campgrounds and to help others as well. I often use Good Sam to locate campgrounds on a map, then double-check the reviews with RV Park Reviews.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I've used Google Earth to have a look at park and surrounding area.
You might find that Riverfront RV Park is actually in the middle of an industrial zone, and backs on to a wrecking yard.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote