2015 Trip Report, Escape 21 & Honda Ridgeline - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Bill and Ann-Marie, When towing I burn premium as suggested by Honda which may help with the mileage. I goofed and pumped regular at two fill-ups and the mileage dropped to the 12s. Not sure if it was the grade of fuel, the head winds, the rain, or us traveling faster while heading home as those weren't the only tanks in the 12s.

I did try covering up part of the louvers for the fridge. It didn't seem to make a difference so I opened it up again. Maybe I should have given it more of a chance? Shouldn't I receive an alarm if the flame blew out though? To be fair, we did have heavy winds through most of our travels, which I assume can cause problems while burning gas?
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Our trip Apr/June with our 17B and Ridgeline covered 12000 km ( we're Cdn can you tell?), and we averaged 15 ltr/100 if we stayed at 90 km/hr. We were in the coastal mtns, the desert, the Rockies (twice Colorado and Alberta), the central plains in a huge circle route down the coast to San Diego, across Arizona and New Mexico, up thru Nebraska, Dakotas and then Manitoba west back to island. Ridgeline never blinked and very comfortable ride. Neat thing was that folks would stop by to look at the Escape, and then would be interested in the truck as they are not that common it would seem. So it is wonderful to read of your fantastic trip and the great performance your Ridgeline gives you. Hope Honda brings them back into production.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
I should have noted that when towing I also use premium grades as recommended by Honda and do not use the cruise control ( or air conditioning for that matter). When I had to use low grade fuel the bump was a 2 to 3 litre penalty. ( 90 kph is about 54 mph, 4.4 litres is 1 gallon, and 100 km is about 60 miles. ) At over 100 km/h fuel consumption peaked at 18/20 litres/100km which would be 12 mpg. Yes, we travel slow; but really enjoy the view and save on fuel expense. We do use an Andersen and I like it, but I would pull our 17 without a WDH if I had to....I would think with a 21 that the WDH would be important. My Honda manual does not recommend it though (I haven't seen an explanation but I wonder if that is due to the front wheel drive configuration in normal driving).
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Have to say that the mpg figures are nothing to crow about. A six-cylinder engine is working much harder especially when towing a 21. Our Murano around town was about 15 but at least it didn't require premium like a Maxima.

Getting 13-13.5 towing with cruise and regular with the Yukon.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: TAfraser... Having a good time is about as "Scientific" as it needs to be. Good to know the Honda does well on the descend as well as the ascend!!!
We'll be passing by Chattanooga on our way south in early Jan. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf,
Earline reminded me that we had already extended an open invitation to you, so here's another anyway. Let us know when you have a date, so we can plan to be home.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Cherry Hill is a fairly expensive commercial campground in College Park. Some advantages are full hookups & bus service from the campground to the nearest Metro station. It generally gets great reviews at RV Park Reviews, although I haven't stayed there myself.

Greenbelt National Park (reviews) is a huge park just a couple of miles away from Cherry Hill, however it is dry camping (some of the bathrooms do have showers). Most of the sites are shaded, many pull throughs. I stayed for a couple of nights at $8.00 per night with the Senior Pass. Depending on which campground (there is more than one in the park) & where in the campground, the walk to the Metro can be quite long - 1/2 hour or more.
We stayed at Cherry Hill years ago with our kids and had a great time. Several other friends have stayed at Cherry Hill over the years and had similar experiences. YMMV.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I agree that 14 mpg isn't something to crow about while towing with a 6 cylinder on premium fuel. BUT daily driving on regular grade fuel with that same 6 cylinder (no second vehicles required for towing) is 17-18 mph in town and 20-23 on the road. At least that's my experience. I also tow most of the time using cruise which was suggested by the Honda guys in the maintenance department. I too am hoping that Honda brings the Ridgeline back, maintains it's size, but improves it's capabilities a little. I really don't like towing near or at it's maximum.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I agree that 14 mpg isn't something to crow about while towing with a 6 cylinder on premium fuel. BUT daily driving on regular grade fuel with that same 6 cylinder (no second vehicles required for towing) is 17-18 mph in town and 20-23 on the road. At least that's my experience. I also tow most of the time using cruise which was suggested by the Honda guys in the maintenance department. I too am hoping that Honda brings the Ridgeline back, maintains it's size, but improves it's capabilities a little. I really don't like towing near or at it's maximum.
Tom
Tom, I think we're about two mpg less than you across the board. The only time I've gotten above 20 in recent memory was the trip to Chilliwack, around town is 16ish, and towing even with premium is only 11. I had Firestone AT tires up though last month which probably had something to do with the difference. Now have Cooper ATs, so we'll see what the towing mileage is next spring. I'm rooting for a high tow capacity Ridgeline too.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I too am hoping that Honda brings the Ridgeline back, maintains it's size, but improves it's capabilities a little.
There hasn't been much new since the last update to Honda Ridgeline Revival, but it seems certain that
  • there will be a 2017 Ridgeline
  • it will not fundamentally change in size or underlying design from the first generation because it still shares a platform with the Pilot
  • capacity and performance will increase, because that's how evolutionary changes go
  • it will be competitive with the Colorado/Canyon and the Tacoma in size
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There hasn't been much new since the last update to Honda Ridgeline Revival, but it seems certain that
  • there will be a 2017 Ridgeline
  • it will not fundamentally change in size or underlying design from the first generation because it still shares a platform with the Pilot
  • capacity and performance will increase, because that's how evolutionary changes go
  • it will be competitive with the Colorado/Canyon and the Tacoma in size
Word in the Ridgeline forums is the new Ridgeline will be introduced at the Detroit North American Auto Show in mid January. Time will tell how capable it will be. The new Pilot's towing max's out at 5,000 lbs, and I think you really need more than that for a 21.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote