2015 Trip Report, Escape 21 & Honda Ridgeline - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
2015 Trip Report, Escape 21 & Honda Ridgeline

I know we’ve had many discussions pertaining to tow vehicle vs what’s being towed, so I thought I’d report on our last trip. This of course is far from a scientific study where there are facts and data providing proven conclusions, so please take from it as you will.

We left home from Seattle Washington in mid September and didn’t return until the end of October. Our trek took us across Montana (Rocky Mountains) and down through Wyoming (55+ mph winds) to Denver Colorado. From there we went due east with stops for Gettysburg and genealogy research. We took a breather in West Virginia to visit relatives before arriving in the D.C. area. We toured the White House and Capitol building (House and Senate). We visited most all the tourist attractions our capital had to offer before being blown out by the hurricane off the coast. Sadly we had very little time left for the Smithsonian, but enjoyed what we were able to see. We had to skip James Town and surrounding area, again because of the hurricane, but because of that, we were able to visited Bill and Earline at their home in Chattanooga (very nice house). Can’t say enough about southern hospitality, Bill and Earline have it in spades. We also had a great time camping with them in the Smoky Mountains. We visited the Grand-Ol-Opery in Nashville, and Graceland in Memphis. From there we went to Phoenix (more visits) and back home using I5.

We drove at about 55 mph from Seattle to Denver, 60 mph from Denver to D.C., 65-70 mph from D. C. to Phoenix (my cousin was anxious to get home), and 60 mph back to Seattle.

The trip covered 8,652.8 miles, burned 610.25 gal of gas, and the Honda got 14.18 mpg over all with no issues. We had one mishap with the trailer, (the strainer for the water pump acquired a cracked lid) and the new two door fridge didn’t do well while traveling.

I was very concerned about the Honda towing at it’s max for so long a trip over mountains etc. BUT, It did great through all the ascents and descents, towing against 55+mph winds, and heavy rain. Of all the miles we put on during this trip, only 200-300 of them were without the trailer, and most of those were in heavy traffic in the DC area.

The truck and trailer did great and a good time was had by all,
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Great trip report Tom. You make want to get back out on the road. If you haven't done so already, you might want to get the transmission and VTM fluids changed. The transmission fluid in our Ridgeline was pretty dirty after last year's cross country trip and this year's camping season. Great gas mileage. I only get about 11 when towing.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I know we’ve had many discussions pertaining to tow vehicle vs what’s being towed, so I thought I’d report on our last trip. This of course is far from a scientific study where there are facts and data providing proven conclusions, so please take from it as you will.

We left home from Seattle Washington in mid September and didn’t return until the end of October. Our trek took us across Montana (Rocky Mountains) and down through Wyoming (55+ mph winds) to Denver Colorado. From there we went due east with stops for Gettysburg and genealogy research. We took a breather in West Virginia to visit relatives before arriving in the D.C. area. We toured the White House and Capitol building (House and Senate). We visited most all the tourist attractions our capital had to offer before being blown out by the hurricane off the coast. Sadly we had very little time left for the Smithsonian, but enjoyed what we were able to see. We had to skip James Town and surrounding area, again because of the hurricane, but because of that, we were able to visited Bill and Earline at their home in Chattanooga (very nice house). Can’t say enough about southern hospitality, Bill and Earline have it in spades. We also had a great time camping with them in the Smoky Mountains. We visited the Grand-Ol-Opery in Nashville, and Graceland in Memphis. From there we went to Phoenix (more visits) and back home using I5.

We drove at about 55 mph from Seattle to Denver, 60 mph from Denver to D.C., 65-70 mph from D. C. to Phoenix (my cousin was anxious to get home), and 60 mph back to Seattle.

The trip covered 8,652.8 miles, burned 610.25 gal of gas, and the Honda got 14.18 mpg over all with no issues. We had one mishap with the trailer, (the strainer for the water pump acquired a cracked lid) and the new two door fridge didn’t do well while traveling.

I was very concerned about the Honda towing at it’s max for so long a trip over mountains etc. BUT, It did great through all the ascents and descents, towing against 55+mph winds, and heavy rain. Of all the miles we put on during this trip, only 200-300 of them were without the trailer, and most of those were in heavy traffic in the DC area.

The truck and trailer did great and a good time was had by all,
Tom
Hi: TAfraser... Having a good time is about as "Scientific" as it needs to be. Good to know the Honda does well on the descend as well as the ascend!!!
We'll be passing by Chattanooga on our way south in early Jan. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Sounds like you had a marvelous trip! Thanks for the great description!
Curious about where you stayed in the DC area?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm aware of one or two cg outside the "Beltway" where you can camp and take the metro into town. You do not want to tow in WDC.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #6

Tom,
Try covering a couple louvers of your lower refer vent with non flammable furnace material, it seemed my dual door was blowing out on propane, but the cover seemed to allow the propane to stay on. Also, make sure you have water in your drain cup and let your thermister hang down a little, all of these keep the unit cooler, as well as the "fridge fix" modification.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm aware of one or two cg outside the "Beltway" where you can camp and take the metro into town. You do not want to tow in WDC.
You don't even want to drive in WDC. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

You don't even want to go there......at all !!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would like to go there some day. Once would be fine though.

Took me a minute to figure out what WDC referred to. Acronyms sure seem to be the in thing lately, though I do use them too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

As a retired federal employee, one gets used to acronyms in everyday use, a precursor to the current use on the web and phones---LOL
Old 11-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Having mostly grown up in the DC area I don't have any interest in living there any longer, but it is an incredible destination to tour. We buried my Dad and Mom two years ago at Arlington Nat Cemetery and you could spend lots of time just seeing the cemetery and all the history in there. The museums and tours would take months to cover everything that is in just downtown DC, let alone Alexandria, Mt Vernon, Georgetown, and all the surrounding areas. The Metro makes getting around easy, we just parked our car the entire week we were there. We have never camped there, so not sure of the campgrounds but I'm sure there are good options. If you have any interest in History, this is one destination you don't want to miss.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
We stayed at: Greenbelt Campground, 6565 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt, MD 20770. It was about 20 miles away from downtown DC . It was also within a very few miles of a park-and-ride for the metro into town. There was even a trail that led to a metro stop, but it was raining so hard when we were there that we didn't take it. The cost of the park was very reasonable and they except the "Geezer" pass.

We tried covering half of the external vents on the fridge but that didn't seem to help. Shouldn't we get an alarm if the gas blows out? The only time we got an alarm was when we ran out of gas. We also pulled the thermister out of it's holder and let it hang. I put a loop in the line leading to the drain cup which acts like a "J" trap. The doors showed condensation in-line with the latches on both doors indicating a lack of insulation there, but that's it. Both doors are solid, NOW, so I don't know what's going on, YET. When parked it seems to do fine.

Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Thanks Tom for the campground info.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Tom, what was your hitch setup for this trip? I own a Ridgeline and am picking up our new 21' at the end of the year. I know some Ridgeline owners get WDHs and others don't.

My wife and I did a similar trip 3years back with our T@B. Great fun isn't it!

Stacey
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
We stayed at: Greenbelt Campground, 6565 Greenbelt Rd, Greenbelt, MD 20770. It was about 20 miles away from downtown DC . It was also within a very few miles of a park-and-ride for the metro into town. There was even a trail that led to a metro stop, but it was raining so hard when we were there that we didn't take it. The cost of the park was very reasonable and they except the "Geezer" pass.

We tried covering half of the external vents on the fridge but that didn't seem to help. Shouldn't we get an alarm if the gas blows out? The only time we got an alarm was when we ran out of gas. We also pulled the thermister out of it's holder and let it hang. I put a loop in the line leading to the drain cup which acts like a "J" trap. The doors showed condensation in-line with the latches on both doors indicating a lack of insulation there, but that's it. Both doors are solid, NOW, so I don't know what's going on, YET. When parked it seems to do fine.

Tom
Do you have a "max and min" thermometer that you can see if the temperature rises? Mine worked fine sitting still but rose while towing until I covered 2 of the 6 vents with material. Seems like you have done everything else. Also the fridge fix for the interior may help with the condensation on the doors.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Thanks Tom for the campground info.
Not sure if this is the same place....
Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Regarding the outside refrigerator vent, I have resorted to using a closed cell foam that I fashioned to fit the inside of the lower outside door. I would guess it seals the area about 95%. It needs to be removed when stopped for an overnight unless temperatures are below 50.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Cherry Hill is a fairly expensive commercial campground in College Park. Some advantages are full hookups & bus service from the campground to the nearest Metro station. It generally gets great reviews at RV Park Reviews, although I haven't stayed there myself.

Greenbelt National Park (reviews) is a huge park just a couple of miles away from Cherry Hill, however it is dry camping (some of the bathrooms do have showers). Most of the sites are shaded, many pull throughs. I stayed for a couple of nights at $8.00 per night with the Senior Pass. Depending on which campground (there is more than one in the park) & where in the campground, the walk to the Metro can be quite long - 1/2 hour or more.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
It generally gets great reviews at RV Park Reviews, although I haven't stayed there myself.
I really like and use RV Park reviews regularly and lately have been contributing reviews as well. It's a good way to learn about campgrounds and to help others as well. I often use Good Sam to locate campgrounds on a map, then double-check the reviews with RV Park Reviews.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've used Google Earth to have a look at park and surrounding area.
You might find that Riverfront RV Park is actually in the middle of an industrial zone, and backs on to a wrecking yard.